SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   RegulatorRectifier AGAIN?!?! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/regulatorrectifier-again-31000/)

smokinjoe73 08-24-2013 07:49 PM

RegulatorRectifier AGAIN?!?!

So I guess a few years have gone by since my stock 98 RR died on me. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit but it wasnt mofset. (this fiasco predated tweetys writings on the subject).

So today, while minding my own business, the main fuse blew. So I replaced it but shortly (5min) it blew again. The good Lord saw to it to let me break down in front of a gas station selling fuses so that part was good.

Fortunately I installed a volt meter after the last time. While riding it read 11ish volts, which I didnt like much.

I just spent some quality time ripping the mofset HUGE R1 unit out of my other vtr to put in my daily bike.

QUESTION....where is a good place to get an RR at a decent price? My R1 unit came off ebay but where else?

thedeatons 08-24-2013 08:13 PM

I seem to remember asking Eastern Beaver about this, and he had R/R's in stock he could sell with a kit...

R/R Connectors

James

E.Marquez 08-25-2013 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 361463)
I seem to remember asking Eastern Beaver about this, and he had R/R's in stock he could sell with a kit...

R/R Connectors

James

Would not hurt to send him an email and ask,, but there is nothing on his site about selling the R/R itself, nor have I ever heard of anyone buying from him.

E.Marquez 08-25-2013 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 361462)
So I guess a few years have gone by since my stock 98 RR died on me. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit but it wasnt mofset. (this fiasco predated tweetys writings on the subject).

So today, while minding my own business, the main fuse blew. So I replaced it but shortly (5min) it blew again. The good Lord saw to it to let me break down in front of a gas station selling fuses so that part was good.

Fortunately I installed a volt meter after the last time. While riding it read 11ish volts, which I didnt like much.

I just spent some quality time ripping the mofset HUGE R1 unit out of my other vtr to put in my daily bike.

QUESTION....where is a good place to get an RR at a decent price? My R1 unit came off ebay but where else?

Well Ebay would be my choice, or craigslist on a part out, local part out from a motorcycle forum member..
But barring that.
This place claims to have NEW FH020AA MOFSEt R/Rs and kits
Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

And the kit price is not bad at all for a one stop shopping deal. Order and at your door in a few days.

MOONSTER 08-25-2013 09:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just my 2 cts. Purchased my replacement thru Beaver almost a yr. ago. No problems since. Have not heard it mentioned much, but make sure & checked the connector under the seat (cluster) where the stator wires connect. Mine had gotten very hot with the OEM unit. Replaced all.

Stumpy 08-25-2013 10:15 AM

I got mine on ebay works great it was a kit that someone talked about on the sight Im on my way to my dads right now or I would look for it. but it came with the R/R and the wiring I thought it was a good kit and worked great for me no problems yet but have not been riding my bike as a illness has kept me off of it for two years just starting to ride it again. fixing a few things first.

smokinjoe73 08-25-2013 12:20 PM

Ugg. Yeah but moonster, how much did you pay with the beaver?

thedeatons 08-25-2013 06:58 PM

Sorry guys, this is the one I was thinking of (already mentioned above): Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

Looks to be a great price on a new R1 R/R, plus the harness.

James

Salieb76 08-26-2013 11:18 AM

James, that's the one I recently purchased and installed with no problems. Great kit and has everything you need. Been running great since.

FTL900 08-26-2013 11:43 AM

I have that same one bookmarked for purchase for my VTR.