SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Regulator/rectifier (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/regulator-rectifier-30299/)

99superhawk_Dom 05-01-2013 02:35 AM

Regulator/rectifier

Will a rectifier from a 95 cbr900rr work on my vtr1000? The plugs and wires are the same.

Thanks dom

Wicky 05-01-2013 03:43 AM

A Honda '95 R/R will probably be like this unfinned self-cooking version as fitted to VTRs from '97-'01 and is precisely what you should be looking to avoid.

http://f.cl.ly/items/0R2w0m1c3r0l1W0...-R-R-small.jpg

Look for a finned version from a model '01 onwards - Here in the UK CBR125's ones work fine.

HONDA CBR 125 2004 REG REC CBR125 REGULATOR RECTIFIER | eBay

7moore7 05-01-2013 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 99superhawk_Dom (Post 354008)
Will a rectifier from a 95 cbr900rr work on my vtr1000? The plugs and wires are the same.

Thanks dom

"work" in a subjective way, yes. As well as you could expect an 18 year old inferior technology to work...

twist 05-01-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 354009)
A Honda '95 R/R will probably be like this unfinned self-cooking version as fitted to VTRs from '97-'01 and is precisely what you should be looking to avoid.

Look for a finned version from a model '01 onwards - Here in the UK CBR125's ones work fine.

my VTR is the 2002 with the finned RR but I opted to go for the R1 part for peace of mind. Better as far as I'm concerned because I don't think about the part failing while I'm in the boonies.

99superhawk_Dom 05-01-2013 12:20 PM

Ok the one that is on it now is a finned one and it failed. I have a 95 900rr sitting in the garage waiting for me to replace one of the rod bettongs and just thought hey this might work till the new one comes in.

Rebirth98 05-01-2013 05:54 PM

I apologize for the thread jack but my 98 has a finned R/R on it unknown. how can I tell the difference between a stock VTR finned and an aftermarket version like the mosfet one i have read about.

comedo 05-01-2013 06:27 PM

The model number of the stock finned version starts with an "SH". A Shindengen mosfet replacement model number starts with an "FH".

Derek Perry 05-01-2013 09:58 PM

Mine when out a couple months ago. I did some research andit is common for them to go out around 20k. I used the part # from the manualand the one I got was the correct part # but it says cbr 600 on it, whichpissed me off, because I so happen to have a broke ’01 CBR 600f4i in my backyard. And lo and behold, they were the exact same. I tried them both out, andthey both worked like a champ. So I haveone for sale if you need one.

E.Marquez 05-02-2013 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Derek Perry (Post 354092)
Mine when out a couple months ago. I did some research andit is common for them to go out around 20k. I used the part # from the manualand the one I got was the correct part # but it says cbr 600 on it, whichpissed me off, because I so happen to have a broke ’01 CBR 600f4i in my backyard. And lo and behold, they were the exact same. I tried them both out, andthey both worked like a champ. So I haveone for sale if you need one.

What you have is a failure prone, older design that while is a step up from the non fined original design, is still not the better choice.
Installing a mosfet is the better choice.. and if you're a Kit kind of person vs find your own components, the mosfet RR kit can be had for about twice the tinkers cost, but even at $130 or so a bargain to have the upgraded and almost fail proof RR on your bike.

Blackbetty 09-25-2013 02:42 AM

Breathing a sigh of relief.

4 Attachment(s)
After identifying what i felt was a R/R issue at idle I searched these fine pages for a remedy finding the well documented MOSET retro-fit.

On receiving my roadstercycle.com kit I was shocked to find what I thought was a already exchanged MOSFET R/R in place. :confused:

Ok ok before you all start, yeah I probably would have been well served to actually open my tail up and see what was there already. Point taken, however the previous owner who had the bike from new told me it was totally stock and everything I have opened or investigated supported that, until this afternoon when the pic in the manual and the R/R looked different.. looked like it had already been changed?! :mad:

Superhawk Forum to the rescue. Indeed my 05' had a different 'finned' R/R in place of what the Haynes manual pictured. Once again thanks to forum members who have walked this path before I and asked all the relevant questions I now know the models late in the run had finned R/R's, however not MOSFET..

Outcome:
A: Breath again..
B: You have not wasted $130 on a part you don't need.

To add my 10c I'll include the pics I took so other can identify the same immediate concern I had... and in turn breath and feel safe they have not wasted there money.

Blackbetty 09-25-2013 02:45 AM

And finally..

1 Attachment(s)
The new MOSFET F/F alongside the OEM job.
Yes they are right alongside each other.. that is the actual size difference with the kit from roadstercycle.com!

E.Marquez 09-25-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blackbetty (Post 362896)
The new MOSFET F/F alongside the OEM job.
Yes they are right alongside each other.. that is the actual size difference with the kit from roadstercycle.com!

Your bike has an updated OEM finned diode based R/R.. Prone to failure just like the earlier model ones.

Use the MOSFET R/R and kit you purchased... after removing the old R/R, toss it in the bin.

7moore7 09-25-2013 07:41 AM

That kit you bought looks to have the higher finned MOSFET R/R- you will likely have to grind some of those down to fit the plastics back on (If I'm seeing it right). They used those in a couple of Yamaha's but I forget which ones. Just to forewarn you!

Blackbetty 09-26-2013 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 362904)
That kit you bought looks to have the higher finned MOSFET R/R- you will likely have to grind some of those down to fit the plastics back on (If I'm seeing it right). They used those in a couple of Yamaha's but I forget which ones. Just to forewarn you!

Cheers for that, was wondering how I Was going to fit it to be honest!

Blackbetty 09-26-2013 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 354009)

I wonder if the 'SH1T' model designation is a Freudian slip :confused: :rolleyes:.
Sorry Honda!.. love you ;)