SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Red Line in top gear? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/red-line-top-gear-8616/)

The spring man 05-02-2006 11:51 AM

Red Line in top gear?

Whats a good mod to get my sons VTR10000F to red line in top gear, its shy by about 3000rpm, running sweet, dynojet stage 2 checked out okay at tuning guys. just a bit gutless any ideas?? no dont want a Bussa or a ZX10. Thanks Guys

dave

Loco 05-02-2006 12:32 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by getting to redline. Are you saying that the bike is topping out at 6k when you're in 6th gear? You should really look into what sprockets you're running if you have that much of a problem. Forget that, 3k off is more than sprockets, your bike is straight up losing a ton of power somewhere. My bike takes a while to get to redline in 6th even with my jacked up gearing (15/43), with standard gearing you're talking over 150mph actual speed. Try tucking under the windscreen also.

The spring man 05-02-2006 12:40 PM

yep thats what i mean 3000rpm short of the red line in 6th, bike has std sprockets etc, is well looked after but gettin his butt kicked by R1s and it hurts hahaha.

what do you suggest as a good sprocket set up?

Cheers

Dave

The spring man 05-02-2006 01:13 PM

is 15/43 lowering the gearing from std by that i mean higher revs less speed? more punch out of corners etc??? My boy is a tall lad over 6 foot tall and 14 stone so no lightweight . might see about some mods to air intake system i have friend in hawaii who invents things he has a site www.redmondinnovations.com

he is looking at using some dimples inside air intakes dont know how the science is supposed to affect things but its supposed to be a good thing ...
This guy is clever at this shit ..

Dave

Loco 05-02-2006 02:53 PM

That is technology I have heard zero about. His issues are far greater than "tweaking" this or "adjusting" that. If you can't reach redline in 6th, either you have an engine that isn't producing even stock power levels, or you are upshifting too early from 5th. You really should look into the basics before you go for the exotic airbox modifications. Basics being spark plugs, clean carbs, chain slack, throttle cable slack, air filter and fuel lines. As far as getting schooled by r1's well, get used to that...

gssbmm 05-02-2006 04:20 PM

Re: Red Line in top gear?

I agree with loco. I'm 6'0 235 and the bike will get to redline pulling my big ass so I would cheak the basics. cheak the sprokets if some one put a stunt sproket on there that could be the cause. I have a 16/43 set up

jschmidt 05-02-2006 06:00 PM

Top speed is 155 in 5th. It won't redline in 6th. Only horsepower overcomes drag. At that speed, you'll need about 20 hp for each 10 mph.