SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Recommendations for setting the bike for your weight??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/recommendations-setting-bike-your-weight-28322/)

eersfanpilot 05-17-2012 08:08 PM

Recommendations for setting the bike for your weight???

This has probably been asked and I have done some searching but really not sure what to search for exactly.

How do you set up your bike for your height and weight?

Stock

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 08:12 PM

Race Tech - Setting Sag

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 08:13 PM

or if you prefer video

Motorcycle Suspension - Setting Sag - YouTube

aja 05-17-2012 08:17 PM

If you're fairly light (<150 pounds) you will have a hard time getting the forks perfect, and the shock is rated for a 190 pound rider so that will be off too. I'm 160 and have my forks at the first notch with the rebound all the way out and theyre still a bit soft.

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 08:41 PM

Yeah the stock stuff is pretty useless for most riders....
The forks are for a lite rider and the shock is heavy because it's a compromise for carrying a passenger..... so it's hard to get a balanced set up.

For any type of even semi serious riding you need to get both resprung and revalved for your weight and riding style....or start replacing components like us OCMD club guys have done... ;)

eersfanpilot 05-17-2012 08:41 PM

I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. Interested in learning all I can.

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot (Post 332778)
I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. Interested in learning all I can.

Well you will never be able to get the sag set on the forks if they are still stock... they will need to be gone through.

You might be able to hit the numbers with the stock rear shock but it really isn't all that good of a unit and the set up Jamie make is the best bang for your buck if you decide you want to upgrade.... he can also do the forks for you

Here is his web site and he is a list member here also Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

eersfanpilot 05-17-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 332780)
Well you will never be able to get the sag set on the forks if they are still stock... they will need to be gone through.

You might be able to hit the numbers with the stock rear shock but it really isn't all that good of a unit and the set up Jamie make is the best bang for your buck if you decide you want to upgrade.... he can also do the forks for you

Here is his web site and he is a list member here also Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

Damn, thanks Hawk. I guess this weekend project idea will go on the back burner for now. Thanks for the link. I will add it to the to-do list. Maybe take care of the R&R and oils first! :D

CrankenFine 05-18-2012 03:42 AM

Dave Moss website. Lots of information. You can send him questions too.
Feel The Track | Ensure your bike geometry, spring rates, hydraulic damping and tire size/compounds are in sync

eersfanpilot 05-18-2012 09:06 AM

Thanks CrankenFine...... ohhh nevermind. Pitt guy. I am not allowed to be nice to you.

blamecanada 05-18-2012 10:01 AM

hey James hope the bike is still treating you well, we should get out for another ride!

I was/am in the same boat as you with respect to my weight vs the stock suspension capability...I ended up getting a rear shock from JD and having a shop in LA rework the forks and install a racetech spring with the rate calculated using their website...it was like getting a new bike.

eersfanpilot 05-18-2012 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by blamecanada (Post 332817)
hey James hope the bike is still treating you well, we should get out for another ride!

I was/am in the same boat as you with respect to my weight vs the stock suspension capability...I ended up getting a rear shock from JD and having a shop in LA rework the forks and install a racetech spring with the rate calculated using their website...it was like getting a new bike.

Sounds good man. My buddy has his 99 SH now and I am sure we could convince Steve to come along if we twisted his arm! :p

speedkelly@aol.com 05-18-2012 01:36 PM

Ok, I've been reading this thread since this morning, just been too busy at work to reply.
From my personal experience a stock Superhawk is not really that bad! Seriously, I done trackdays with a stock bird and its still a blast to ride! as I think Nick (blamecanada) may have too.

Best bang for your buck, quick fix for the Superhawk is to replace the front forks springs with some that suit your weight and some fresh 5wt fork oil. Just that alone will make the bike feel a lot more balanced into and out of corners. Also helps out with breaking into corners.

James. You could probably replace the front springs yourself? its not that hard, some great write ups on this forum. No special tools needed. Just have to raise the front end some how.
1/ remove forks
2/ remove forks caps
3/ swap out springs
4/ install fresh oil and measure height/ cut install new spacers
5/ re-install forks. its really that simple.

If you can remove a superhawk carbs, you can replace the front forks springs. Plus springs are pretty cheap less than $100.

Good luck. I'm up for a ride sometime? I'm back East for Memorial weekend.

blamecanada 05-18-2012 01:43 PM

I did do a track day on the stock stuff, I found it pretty horrible actually the bike felt like two pogo sticks with an engine in the middle...but on the street I think just doing the fork springs and adjusting the rear preload is probably good enough for most situations.

One thing I really like about having the stiffer rear shock and spring combo is that the bike still handles quite well when I have a two-up, and they are considerably more comfortable than before (based on input from a couple different 'regular' passengers, haha)