SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rebuild time (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rebuild-time-33770/)

3stars 02-22-2016 09:24 PM

Rebuild time

Ok following on from this thread

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...tal-oil-33672/

I am the now owner of a 2001 37k firestorm and after starting them both up this one is nice and quite the other sounds like a tin of marbles

So now I'm going to learn how to rebuild an engine and perhaps add a little more power if I can, I'm going to be asking a lot of questions and do a heap of reading this is taking me way out of my comfort zone and into the unknown ( I'm a hairdresser after all) I'm fairly confident, I do all my own servicing and have a decent tool kit and being a hoarder quite like the idea that i have to buy more.
My first question is there a list of must gets to do it properly any and all help is greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

3stars 02-22-2016 09:47 PM

here comes the silly questions
would this be a good buy
Honda VTR1000 VTR 1000 JE STD Bore Piston KIT 97 01 | eBay

and this
Honda Complete Gasket KIT VTR 1000 F Super Hawk 1998 05 Firestorm 1997 2006 | eBay

I'm putting up ebay links just because i find it easier to search their if anybody knows better places please point me in the right direction

E.Marquez 02-25-2016 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3stars (Post 393714)
here comes the silly questions
would this be a good buy
Honda VTR1000 VTR 1000 JE STD Bore Piston KIT 97 01 | eBay

and this
Honda Complete Gasket KIT VTR 1000 F Super Hawk 1998 05 Firestorm 1997 2006 | eBay

I'm putting up ebay links just because i find it easier to search their if anybody knows better places please point me in the right direction

JE makes a good piston , but you will have to wait till you disassemble and measure the current bore to know if standards size pistons are going to be of any use.
If the bores are damaged, or have wear it'll be taper most likely plus some general oversize. You'll be boring to next oversize, or sleeving, and boring to size or if not significantly damaged or worn you could have the cylinders nikasil plated and honed to stock bore size.

That gasket kit, personally Id stay away from it... Too many bad experiences with no name gaskets. Cometec for head and base gaskets, SKF for seals and OEM for the rest

3stars 02-26-2016 02:25 AM

Great thanks

3stars 03-14-2016 03:48 AM

ok now the first problem is that two of the middle mounting bolts hole have been stripped are the ok to have a heli coil put in

E.Marquez 03-14-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by 3stars (Post 394230)
ok now the first problem is that two of the middle mounting bolts hole have been stripped are the ok to have a heli coil put in

A qualified yes, if not with a thread repair coil, a repair insert, like Time-Sert.
That said.. What threaded holes are damaged? Middle mount of what?

3stars 03-14-2016 04:54 AM

the middle mount , the two short bolts there a mess

E.Marquez 03-14-2016 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by 3stars (Post 394233)
the middle mount , the two short bolts there a mess

So you're talking about the frame threaded holes yes? Sorry I was target fixated on the motor.....and could not place a mid mount.

If so, well yes then can be done.. but it's going to cost you a shit ton of cash to buy that large a diameter kit, it's so uncommon.

Worse, it's not a common size and that means few machine shops will have the kit on hand...
Can you get a good pic of the damaged threads....

3stars 03-14-2016 01:57 PM

no not the frame the bolts the two short bolts that go into the engine only it looks like they've been over torqued and stripped iI will get a pic up shortly

VTaRse 03-21-2016 01:06 PM

You should be able to file a flat surface on the inboard end and fit a nut and bolt.

Be careful with welding up the boss and redrilling so as to tap back out to original size, although possible you can distort the cases and get poor gasket faces as a result.

3stars 03-25-2016 02:19 PM

Git a mate who recons just drill and re tap one size up ot drill through and use a bolt and nut