SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rebuild and possible mods - opinions welcome (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rebuild-possible-mods-opinions-welcome-30547/)

MUZZYRAP 06-09-2013 04:23 PM

Rebuild and possible mods - opinions welcome

Good day to all my fellow Hawk riders. I have a 98 Hawk with 45K on it and it recently had a CCT failure and yes you guessed it, it sucked an intake valve into the front cylinder. It flipped the valve head sideways and embedded it into the head of the piston and scared up the head itself to the point it is unable to be repaired. Upon removing the front head and seeing the damage I also believe that I may have bent the connecting rod and possibly damaged the crank. So went out and bought a complete engine (and I mean complete in the sense that it is everything except the wheels, tank, plastics, sub frame and the instrument cluster) for $300.00. Now this is a bike that is a 2002 and was a running engine when it was removed with only 8-9K miles on it (it was removed because the owner stumbled across a newer engine that only have 1K miles on it). However, since the engines had been swapped out this one sat outside in the NY weather for the past 5 years. So needless to say there in some corrosion. The carbs are basically shot but could be revived if need be but my carbs are still in great shape so I will use those. There is also corrosion in the intake valves of both front and rear head so they will both need to be reworked. So my first question is this: should I remove both the heads from the salvaged engine I bought and have them completely redone and then reinstall them on the same bottom half of the engine and install it into my bike? Or should I just have the front head reworked and then get into the bottom half of my engine and replace the front piston and possibly the crank using the parts from the salvaged engine. My thinking is to just have both the heads reworked and possibly port and polished while I am at it and then use the bottom half of the salvaged engine instead of tearing into the bottom half of both engines. I also have these additional mods I am considering since the bike is already apart and the engine is on the bench, please give me you thoughts on these:

1. Have my carbs jetted
2. Replace the air filter/breather box with a better aftermarket set up
3. Port and polish the heads
4. Replace the R/R with the MOFSET (nicely done Tweety)
5. Replace the flywheel with a lighter one
6. Install a Pro Shift Kit
7. Different pads and rotors front and back (recommendations on type?)
8. Possibly replace brake lines for braided lines
9. Possibly replace the rear shock with an better one (recommendations?)
10. Steering dampener maybe?
11. Upgrade the exhaust (see below)

If you Google "Michael Jordan Ducati Custom 999" you will see a segment on Utube from the TV show Superbikes that use to air a couple of years back. Now I realize that I will never in my life have the kind of funds to complete even 1/10 of the things done to that bike. But what I did see at exactly One minute into this segment was how they had rerouted his exhaust to be flush with the fairing. That is pretty much what I want to do to my bike. I want to add GP style pipes on my bike either both to one side or one on each side. The only catch I have is that I don't want them obnoxiously loud so as not to piss of my neighbors when I go to work at 6am and I leave the house. Does anyone know If this is possible. I was thinking of using ether M4 GP or maybe Jardine GP1. Or maybe if I can find just straight pipes with some baffels in the them and then I can cut and weld them in place of my current stock pipes that will have the same type of look. Not to mention the stock cans weigh a ton and it would go a long way to lighten up the bike if I could get them replaced. My mechanic skills are average to above average and I have most of the tools needed to complete this. What tools I don't have I an either buy or I have access to them. I have just never gotten this deep into this bike and was looking insight from my fellow Hawk riders since the info I have seen on this site is so very, very helpful... So any feedback good or bad from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!! Keith