SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rebuild kit (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rebuild-kit-29691/)

Rebirth98 01-14-2013 03:18 PM

Rebuild kit

Prob bad question but search didnt give a good answer. Is there any company that makes a good rebuild kit? Awful knocking noise coming from my 98 wish I woulda have found this forum earlier believe it to be bad ccts.

HRCA#1 01-14-2013 03:40 PM

Not sure what you're asking for in a "rebuild kit". There are top end and bottom end gasket kits which are also available separately. Other than that you need to order whatever repair parts or rebuild parts you might need.

As far as the CCT's they generally make more of a "clacking" noise not so much a knocking noise which sounds more like a bearing failing. Just my opinion having not heard it for myself.

Rebirth98 01-14-2013 03:56 PM

I'd like to record it and let an experienced person listen but I doubt the phone recording would do. Would an iPod or ipad work?

NHSH 01-14-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rebirth98 (Post 347539)
I'd like to record it and let an experienced person listen but I doubt the phone recording would do. Would an iPod or ipad work?

Not sure if it's a good idea to run it while knocking already..., you may damage the engine even more, can you identify if it is the front or rear cylinder? Also if you hear it from the top of the cylinder?
You may not need a complete motor rebuild as it seems you describing.

Rebirth98 01-14-2013 04:46 PM

Next to no mc engine exp. but I tore the fairings off and it does sound like its from the front cylinder as for top end not sure. Bike only has 12k on it. Bought it from a third owner who bought it from a owner who dropped it on the track I put a lot of stuff back together and got her running and put about 2.5k miles on her everything fine then one day made this awful sound coming home from work. Only thing I could think of at the time was motor knock. No smoke and no loss of power just hoping for the best but trying to get her ready for spring

NHSH 01-14-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rebirth98 (Post 347543)
Next to no mc engine exp. but I tore the fairings off and it does sound like its from the front cylinder as for top end not sure. Bike only has 12k on it. Bought it from a third owner who bought it from a owner who dropped it on the track I put a lot of stuff back together and got her running and put about 2.5k miles on her everything fine then one day made this awful sound coming home from work. Only thing I could think of at the time was motor knock. No smoke and no loss of power just hoping for the best but trying to get her ready for spring

It sounds now more like the front CCT failed and timing chain jumped a tooth, the amount of miles is not an indication, your bike is 15 years old and the CCT spring was under pressure this whole time, at this age it can fail regardless of miles, as for smoke you get if the rings are going bad or carbs badly adjusted, but you have many many miles and I would safely say years before the rings go bad, If you not mechanically inclined, I would recommend to take the bike to a shop, try to make sure they know how to work on the Hawk if you can and don't run if you can avoid it at this stage.

Rebirth98 01-14-2013 05:37 PM

Yeah I mean from the write ups here i located both ccts. is it possible to change it to a manual one and adjust it to fix timing? I do have a certified mechanic ready to tear her down but i know him and hell give me hell for picking up a bike that needs work. hes a great guy makes you do everything yourself and just guides you. rather not waste his time if I can fix it myself.

So question i guess is can i change out the ccts to APEs and fix the issuse possibly?

And im mech inclined enough to know once that kind of sound happens put it away haha.

matt365 01-14-2013 05:57 PM

My suggestion would be to read up on cct failure in the knowledge base section. Check on valve adjustment as well.

If you can take the airbox, carbs off, remove the mounting brackets from the oil cooler, and remove the front valve cover
-check the timing marks on the cams at top dead center on the compression stroke for the front cylinder.
-then you can check the valve clearances with a feeler gauge.

If the valve clearance is excessive, you've jumped teeth, and the tensioner did indeed fail. The valves have impacted the piston, and you need at the least new valves and seals. Hopefully you didn't damage the piston. Since it still runs, (although badly), hopefully you've only jumped a tooth or two and its not catastrophic.

Rebirth98 01-14-2013 06:26 PM

so still running in ^ your opinion is a good sign?

Thanks for the info, I can accomplish everything on that list, just have to run down a feeler gauge somewhere.

NHSH 01-14-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 347548)
My suggestion would be to read up on cct failure in the knowledge base section. Check on valve adjustment as well.

If you can take the airbox, carbs off, remove the mounting brackets from the oil cooler, and remove the front valve cover
-check the timing marks on the cams at top dead center on the compression stroke for the front cylinder.
-then you can check the valve clearances with a feeler gauge.

If the valve clearance is excessive, you've jumped teeth, and the tensioner did indeed fail. The valves have impacted the piston, and you need at the least new valves and seals. Hopefully you didn't damage the piston. Since it still runs, (although badly), hopefully you've only jumped a tooth or two and its not catastrophic.

From Rebirth words, I suggest let his mechanic friend do the above steps ;) I think it would be safer for him :) Oh Rebirth, don't let your friend bully you :)

Rebirth98 01-14-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 347553)
From Rebirth words, I suggest let his mechanic friend do the above steps ;) I think it would be safer for him :) Oh Rebirth, don't let your friend bully you :)

ha its my friends dad...hes been a yamaha mechanic for over 30 years now and also a flat track racer/mechanic. he knows his v-twins just trying to save him some time thats all but from what you guys have explained/what ive read, i believe i might be lucky enough to get away with just new vavles, seals, and ccts. fingers crossed. Ill update in a week or so.