SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rear Turn Signals Always On?! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rear-turn-signals-always-28867/)

Dan Hough 07-26-2012 08:08 PM

Rear Turn Signals Always On?!

Maybe I'm a bit rusty since its been a while since I replaced turn signals, but....

I've replaced my front & rear signals with some Emgo's (incandescent), and wired them up as directed.
TWO problems:
The rear signals are always lit (as a running light) & they are blinking fast.

After a lot of reading & searching, I've not found any solutions.....

Anyone???

smokinjoe73 07-26-2012 08:40 PM

The back ones cant be on all the time since they are not red which is the only legal tail color. Is everything else working properly?

They would blink fast if you swapped to all LED lights & you would need a different flasher.

Dan Hough 07-26-2012 08:50 PM

I do know the rear should NOT be on, and they are amber. No LED's, just the standard incandescence....

smokinjoe73 07-26-2012 09:39 PM

Ok then I'm gonna say you dun screwed up the wiring. They should only be 2 wires. Did you replace all 4 sigs or just the rear?

Also, if its flashing fast its due to less resistance so maybe one isnt grounding?

Tweety 07-27-2012 01:25 AM

Most likely that they are blinking very fast... Even if they are incandescents the stock relay wont work very well if they use less W than stock... So a relay for LED's should fix it... Note that the relay in itself doesn't care about LED vs incandescents, it's just that people call them "LED relay" when they are load independant, they work exactly the same...

Jack Flash 07-27-2012 10:01 AM

You have a bad ground. You need to check your wiring
again like SmokinJoe said. If your still not sure, take a pic
of your installation, and post it so we can see your wiring.
Then we'll be able to help you better..;o)

Tweety 07-27-2012 01:46 PM

You guy do realize that bad grounding would lead to the signals being always off right? No ground = no current = no light...

But it doesn't mean it's not likely the wiring is messed up...

7moore7 07-27-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 338867)
You guy do realize that bad grounding would lead to the signals being always off right? No ground = no current = no light...

But it doesn't mean it's not likely the wiring is messed up...

I thought bad ground was the answer to everything electrical.

BeerHunter 07-27-2012 05:12 PM

How many wires coming out from each of the new signals, 2 wire single filament bulbs or 3 wire dual filament? Did you install the dual filament type on the rear? What is the behavior of the front signal lights?

Dan Hough 07-27-2012 06:53 PM

Ok... Both sets are 3 wires, with dual filament bulb. The fronts use all 3 because of the running lights. The rear just eliminates the use of the running light wire.
As of now, the fronts function fine, but fast. The rear are on all the time like the front running lights, and they blink like the are supposed to.
The ground is fine, and everything works fine with the OEM signals.

I've read I need a "Load Equalizer" or LED style relay. Basically the new lights don't pull as many watts as the originals, and the relay balances it out.

Does anyone agree the relay is the solution?

7moore7 07-27-2012 07:37 PM

Yeah, relay is the solution. Or a change of expectations... having seizure inducing blinkers may ward off potential rear ends ;)

Perhaps you used the wrong wire in the rear? Try leaving the grounds, but connecting the other wires. I'm totally guessing here, you may find that the load changes as well and the lights blink more normal. Or the electric gnomes in my head aren't visualizing it correctly... it was a long Friday.

saige 07-27-2012 07:50 PM

maybe the past ower re-wired it and is jumping off the tag light to keep it on.
if the rear turn signals have 3 wires,it is wrong,should only be 2 per rear signal.

Dan Hough 07-27-2012 07:54 PM

One more tid bit.... Much like when a bulb is out, the dash board signal is on. Both are on when both new pairs are hooked up, only one if a single new pair are connected.

Ive seen basic LED relays on ebay for less than $10..... would these work?
LED Turn Signal Load Equalizer Flash Rate Controller -ONE UNIT FIXES TWO LIGHTS! | eBay

Looks like with these I would only need two... one in fron & one in rear.

saige 07-27-2012 08:30 PM

go to cyclegear if there is one around,and get the relay from there that is for honda.
its a led relay.it will work.

BeerHunter 07-27-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Hough (Post 338892)
One more tid bit.... Much like when a bulb is out, the dash board signal is on. Both are on when both new pairs are hooked up, only one if a single new pair are connected.

Does the front signal flash dim while the rear is brighter?

A new signal relay will not fix your problem. You have reversed the ground wire and the running light wire on the FRONT signals. Swap those two pairs on both sides and power it all up again. Green swap with White striped wire on the harness side.

Dan Hough 08-03-2012 07:21 PM

BeerHunter, you win! I have no idea why or how the grounds wee switched, as I only matched the previous set-up. I had already wired in the relay when I read your post. Immediate fix. Now I just need to remove the relays, as I dont think they did a damn thing. Other than a slightly faster blink, ALL other issues are gone.
Thank You Thank You!