SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rear shock from what other bikes will fit VTR???? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rear-shock-what-other-bikes-will-fit-vtr-12176/)

redman 07-17-2007 09:56 PM

Rear shock from what other bikes will fit VTR????

There are always some good deals on Ebag, and other places, that come from GXSRs or R1s or others. Any models fit the VTR?

Cleveland 07-18-2007 05:32 AM

Try the search option for the forums. There are many threads with useful info on this topic. There are options for shorter... cheaper..

SlowHAWK 07-18-2007 10:58 AM

There are no "known" direct swaps..... almost every shock is shorter... you could shim like crazy if you find something close.... search and you'll find alot of info on which shocks/bikes are "in the ballpark".

J.

redman 07-18-2007 09:11 PM

I'm just thinkin'....there are some good deals out there these days on used WPs, Ohlins, Penskes etc.....but...for example; to convert a Penske from an R6 to a VTR costs between 400 and 550USD. Not worth it unless you picked up the shock for less than 100. I wonder if ...nah forget it...I just have to be patient or kick down with some major bux.

hawkbill 07-23-2007 06:13 PM

I believe Honda used the same shock for their CBR1100XX, 919 Hornet, VFR800 and the CBR1000F. If you can find a shock for one of those bikes, it will likely fit the SH. Ohlins makes the 46HRCS that fits all of these bikes.

redman 07-23-2007 10:06 PM

Thanks man.....I think I read somewhere that the VFR shock is too short but I will look around for a Penske/Hyperpro/Ohlins or whatever...for those bikes.

Zedicus 07-24-2007 05:04 AM

a banshee rear shock should work, i havent had the chance to mess with one yet though. they are the right length, and hav the right ends, should be similar in weight, and the banshee shock has resevior and is more adjustable. aftermarket banshee shocks are fairly cheep too.

SlowHAWK 07-24-2007 06:10 AM

I'd check all of your assumptions for compatible bikes on the Ohlins website... it gives specs on shock length, stroke, etc.... (atleast it used to) Even though the Ohlins 46HRCS shock might be the "same" for those bikes, I'm willing to bet there are length and stroke differences...

J.

Chitownson 07-28-2007 08:09 PM

shock

I did some research, even through the shock number is the same on the Ohlins website, the lengths are different, etc. since they are set up for each make & model year of bike. There is a chart for Ohlins on some manfacturer's or shop's website that is about a 5 page PDF listing all numbers by lengths, motorcycle manufacturer, model year, etc. but when my computer screwed up, I lost the link. I (probably along with 2 dozen other forum members) am looking into if there is a good reasonably priced swap out there that works, but haven't found it yet. I know there's a post from a member in the past who's tried a number of different swaps on his bike and discussed them on the post.

redman 07-30-2007 05:47 PM

Thanks all.....just a waiting game I guess. Maybe I'll go buy a Lotto ticket tonight:lol: