SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rear shock damping adjustment dead (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rear-shock-damping-adjustment-dead-18343/)

htwin 04-19-2009 05:04 PM

Rear shock damping adjustment dead

My rear shock rebound adjustment screw is jamed. I try with WD-40 but nothing seem to work! :mad: . What is the next step? Throw it away :rolleyes:...

vermontzx6r 04-19-2009 05:10 PM

ohlins

lazn 04-19-2009 05:16 PM

Mine was too, I hit it with WD, let it soak for about 20 min, then used the biggest screwdriver I had.. with that I was able to break it free.

SlowHAWK 04-19-2009 07:10 PM

Mine was at one point as well... if you have a screw driver bit that will fit into one of your sockets that will help alot... you'll get a ton more leverage.

J

nath981 04-20-2009 08:25 PM

or if you have a large screwdriver and an adjustible wrench, put the adjustable wrench on the flat part of the screwdriver and push on the screwdriver with your hand/body weight while you turn with the adjustable wrench with the other hand and that usually will do the deal.

cliby 04-20-2009 08:33 PM

if its any consolation it doesn't really change anything anyway, very little difference in the damping adjustment that is in the noticeable range stock

chickenstrip 04-21-2009 05:38 AM

Itching for more damping? Time for a Jamie D. rebuild.:D

htwin 04-21-2009 09:17 AM

I lube the thing each day and I still not able to loosen up the adjustment... Is it possible to change the screw if I damage it? Next time I will try it I will force it to turn until something break or strip...

nath981 04-21-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by htwin (Post 212304)
I lube the thing each day and I still not able to loosen up the adjustment... Is it possible to change the screw if I damage it? Next time I will try it I will force it to turn until something break or strip...

are you trying to turn both directions???? and:tap screwdriver end with hammer to losen as you turn and:
if you have a large screwdriver and an adjustible wrench, put the adjustable wrench on the flat part of the screwdriver and push on the screwdriver with your hand/body weight while you turn with the adjustable wrench with the other hand and that usually will do the deal.

and: heat with hair dryer

quit messing around and get that SOB losened:banghead:

inderocker 04-21-2009 10:44 AM

Buy another for $10, and toss yours. :p

BeerHunter 04-21-2009 12:22 PM

Make sure you are putting the screw driver on the appropriate part of the shock. I once tried to turn the screw on the other side of the shock body, not realizing at first that is was only a screw and had nothing to do with damping adjustment. If I remember correctly, the shock had been installed with the adjuster on the wrong side of the machine, and thus I was looking in the right place for it, but found the wrong slot.

htwin 04-21-2009 06:45 PM

Woohoo!!!!:p
It finally come loose! I took the biggest screwrdiver bit with my biggest ratchet and turn it on both side. After a couple (many) twist it loosened up.

Thanks to everyone!

cliby 04-21-2009 07:14 PM

now go out and enjoy all that damping adjustability!! LOL :) :)

htwin 04-22-2009 07:35 PM

Yes I know this adjustment dosn't do much with the stock shock... Next year I will change or modify the shock unit. I will probably go with Stadium or Elka down here in Quebec. We will see!

Thanks!

cliby 04-22-2009 07:44 PM

some people on here have modified the stock one and changed the valving on them and reported good results. mgith be worth checking out - cheaper option.