SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   RC51 front wheel spacers (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rc51-front-wheel-spacers-28595/)

erno 06-18-2012 01:49 AM

RC51 front wheel spacers

Hi guys
Have a question for the tech guys
In the process of the rc51 f/end swap,and using a 06/cbr1000rr front wheel.
Now have set up the wheel using rc51 front bearings which are 2mm wider
than the cbr1000rr.
The other day had done a mock up with calipers,wheel and forks
And turns out,that to get the wheel centred and brake calipers even to the disc's.I will be using 15mm spacers each side,would this be correct??
Just that the hawk and rc51 spacers there is 1 large and 1 small.
I assuming the 15mm spacers are due to using the cbr wheel
Have tried different combos, but the 15mm fit the best
And also the wheel spins freely (Im confused which isn't real hard)

Any help would be appreciated:p

cheers

GTS 06-18-2012 10:07 AM

I'm working on this same swap. I haven't got my wheel yet though it's on it's way. Picked it up for real cheap on ebay, It's supposedly got a slite tweek or bend but I couldn't see any dings in the pic so I figured worst case I'll take it to my friends shop and have him straighten it. Can't beat the price for $55!

Anyway I noticed in looking up the bearing sizes that the RC bearings were 2mm wider than the CBR so I found some new seals that were also 2mm narrower that I need to pick up. They are actually a Vespa application, which doesn't make me happy putting Vespa parts on my bike but oh well! LOL!, and I'm guessing they should come out to the same spot on the wheel as the factory seals did. Did you by chance measure the width of the bearings where the axle goes through them? I was going to take this dimension and the overall width of the axle to figure out just how much I'll need in spacers. I'm guessing if the RC and CBR wheels are the same in stock form I'll need to trim 2mm off each shim but until I get the parts in hand I'm not sure.

When you said you put 15mm shims in was one of the factory RC shims 15mm? Or did you just get some shims from somewhere else and found that was the size that works?

Tweety 06-18-2012 10:38 AM

First a question... The bearings are wider themselves, yes... But are the width of the wheel with them mounted wider? It has to do with the spacer and rim where the final width end up...

Second an tidbit of info, the reason for the two different spacers are that the two surfaces on the fork are different... One is supposed to be larger than the hole in the fork, the other is supposed to be able to slide partially into the fork... You clamp the axle in the fork first, then torque the large nut, then clamp the other side of the fork... The fork is usually asymmetrical because of this... Check before you decide to make two equal spacers...

GTS 06-18-2012 11:55 AM

The RC doesn't have a nut. It's got a bolt. IIRC you tighten the bolt first, then the pinch bolts on the forks. The spacer on the side with the bolt is the most critical as that kind of lines everything up. The one on the other side needs to be correct but not as critical as the axle would just not line up with the outside of the fork perfectly but there isn't anything that actually stops against the inside of the fork so the axle just floats in it and you just clamp it tight with the pinch bolts. Hopefully I made that make sense.

erno 06-18-2012 07:52 PM

Thanks guys for the heads up appreciate it
I have 1 shim R/H side at 14.5mm and the L/H at 9mm
When I tighten the bolt the R/H fork had to come in a bit
But still a difference of 1.5 to 2mm on the brake calipers
Will this be a concern

The rc51 orig shims are 16.5mm & 9mm
Made some new ones at 14.5mm & 7mm
The above comment of 15mm each side was just a observation,after
hitting my head a couple of times against the wall lol

GTS have made my shims from scratch using s/steel
Just cant believe Im having such dramas over a couple of shims