SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   RATTLE OR POSSIBLE PING NOISE? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rattle-possible-ping-noise-12493/)

rigoshawk 08-27-2007 07:15 PM

RATTLE OR POSSIBLE PING NOISE?

Hello, this is my first post.
I know it's hard to diagnose a noise by someones description but I'll try anyways. I have a 98SH that I just purchased. It has 60k miles on it and had a failing rear ctt. I replaced both and had also set valve clearance to spec. with carb sync; while apart. My questions are: is it normal to have what I feel is detonation/pre-ignition rattle at take off from a stop. I did also set the tps sensor from 865ohm's to 510ohm's and filled the tank with super unleaded with no change. the noise sounds kind of metalic but. I am wondering if it might be the carb. slides? I can't hear any noise while wrapping the throttle at all. It's only under load or initial take off. Thanks.

Hawkrider 08-27-2007 07:54 PM

That's the carb slides rattling. It's completely normal for the VTR.

rigoshawk 08-27-2007 08:40 PM

rattle

Thanks for the info. That's a big relief

APM 03-11-2008 07:14 PM

I have a similar sound I only hear it when coming to a stop or when waiting at red lights. It goes away when I accelerate. Sounds kind of like an metallic shocking or ticking coming from the front of the bike. It Doesn't happen when cold only after completely warmed up. I just purchased the bike and it has APE CCt's. Its a 99 with 25k miles. Could it be carb slides rattling??

happytrack44 03-11-2008 08:35 PM

Ditto on the take off rattle, If it aint carb slides, something is gonna go KaBang someday. Mine is jam-up and jelly-tight with the CCT's, valve lash, ETC and only has about 14k miles on it. The noise startled me at first, but it's just Hawkiness.

Hawkrider 03-11-2008 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by APM (Post 155411)
I have a similar sound I only hear it when coming to a stop or when waiting at red lights. It goes away when I accelerate. Sounds kind of like an metallic shocking or ticking coming from the front of the bike. It Doesn't happen when cold only after completely warmed up. I just purchased the bike and it has APE CCt's. Its a 99 with 25k miles. Could it be carb slides rattling??

IMO, this sounds like CCTs. Try adjusting them. The idle should be smooth and somewhat mechanical, but not clackity or ticking. Some guys even have a whirring sound at idle.
Carb slides generally only rattle off idle at low throttle openings.

434josh 03-12-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 155435)
IMO, this sounds like CCTs. Try adjusting them. The idle should be smooth and somewhat mechanical, but not clackity or ticking. Some guys even have a whirring sound at idle.
Carb slides generally only rattle off idle at low throttle openings.

+1 on the "whirring" sound. Mine sounds like a roots type blower while idleing.