SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   r/r connector (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/r-r-connector-7657/)

standzchop 09-27-2005 11:55 PM

r/r connector

i recently replaced my r/r...(.Ricks with cooling fins) yesterday i noticed that one of the wires (yellow..from the stator) was burnt and the block conneector is melted around the spade connector......does this mean the r/r is on it's way out??? or did i have a loose connection??? also...does anyone know were i can find a new block connector with new spade connectors????appreciate any help .........thnx....standzchop

woodman 09-28-2005 05:26 AM

Re: r/r connector

Some Aprilia's have that same problem and it seems it is caused by poor connection. If the spade connectors are not a tight fit resistance is built up causing heat and melting the insulation and the connector block. I know this happened to mine.

The cure is to replace the spade connectors with some that fit tight and solder the end where it is crimped to the wire, or eliminate the connector totally and solder the wires from the stator to the wires from the rectifier.

Either way it has to be fixxed or you will be sitting along side the road with a bike that won't run.

superbling 09-28-2005 06:38 AM

So you don't know if the connector was bad when you changed out the RR?

First thing, get a voltmeter to monitor output and see if the new RR is working properly. Well, now that I think about it some more, it might be working OK but the resistance of the bad wires/connector might throw off the reading too.

According to the VFR guys, there's a replacement connector kit available from Honda. I assume it's listed only in the VFR fiche (90-97) which uses the same RR as the SuperHawk. Previous solution was to replace the entire wiring harness! Some guys even replace the 3 yellow stator wires with heavier guage pieces and new grounds, etc.

The same thing happened to me on my 98 taking out the connector, RR and the battery! I cut off the connector, got a used gixxer RR (massive cooling fins) and made individual connectors. I also mounted a voltmeter to watch it. Next month will be a year since installation and it's still working great (voltage ranges from 13.8-14.2V).

standzchop 09-28-2005 05:01 PM

superbling, thnx for the info...for the moment i'm using insulated spade connectors with a good appication of di-electric grease ...i,m getting the same volt output 13.8...14.3 as you are...i just hope it stays that way.....altho i'd like to get a block connector in there.....also how about cutting a few slots in the rear cowl next to the r/r so it can cool better????do you think that would help???............thnx again.... stanchop

superhawk22 09-28-2005 05:51 PM

That could help keep it cooler, also when I did mine I bought some liquid tape at Advanced auto parts. It comes in different colors and you apply it like a liquid glue with a brush and then it semi-hardens like silicone. They also have it at Wal-mart and other stores it seals it up tight with no chance of moister getting in.