SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   R/R again??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/r-r-again-9542/)

Blurr 09-12-2006 09:29 PM

R/R again???

Ok so I replaced my R/R not too too long ago with a new one from the aftermarket with fins etc etc been fine now tonight riding home my tach and speedo went all weird and seemed all over the place but then stopped and was fine I did make it home but now what could it be my battery now or???

EngineNoO9 09-12-2006 09:41 PM

check the battery, check the r/r again...

Blurr 09-12-2006 09:46 PM

Yeah? Could it be either or???

I guess I am going to have too

I dont get why this one would fry I hope its the battery

Do these things go all the time???

98VTR 09-13-2006 02:07 PM

Check your battery connections. I had a similiar thing happen weird the speedo would "blip" down to 0 while riding. Turned out it was just a loose negative battery terminal.

Blurr 09-13-2006 03:00 PM

Battery was fine

Just seems when I start it everything goes dim and the lights and dash pulses

I dunno connections are solid

Has a brand new RR in it so.

Blurr 09-13-2006 10:30 PM

Its not the battery took it out charged it cables all tight bike seems to like go all wacky in the tach and seems hurting for power. But then its fine

I mean what else could it be

99Hawk 09-14-2006 10:24 AM

If you don't have a good multimeter you need to borrow one and check the bat Voltage engine off and running. Should be around 12.5 off and closer to 13.5 running. Watch the reading carefully and see if it goes south on you at anypoint. Assuming all connections are good (including the ground cable-to bike connection AND carefully look at the RR plug connections) then you probably have an RR on the way out...... again.

Blurr 09-14-2006 12:40 PM

Yeah I am going to have a friend take a look at it.....

Last night I went to ride it and it wouldnt start and stuff and I kicked the bike and it was fine , i think something might be loose or a bad connection

Why do RRs go or what would cause them to go

superbling 09-14-2006 01:13 PM

If it's an electro-tex or what's now called an electro-sport unit, they have a less than stellar track record with the VFR crowd and I'm being "nice". Some have gone the 3+ replacement units for a good one.

Voltage at battery should read 13.5-15.5 volts at 5k rpm.

Lefin102 09-14-2006 01:26 PM

You said the lights dimed when you were starting the bike! Sounds like the starter is drawing too much current. Check the voltage at the batt. when cranking the starter. It shouldn't fall below 10 volt I think. If it is check you starter connections first.

Hawkrider 09-14-2006 02:11 PM

The lights should GO OUT when starting the bike. If they are not then there is a problem. That's a "B" contact on the starter relay. Starter is energized with the "A" contacts and lights go out with the "B" contacts.

BeerHunter 09-14-2006 04:22 PM

Also, take a look at the cable connections on boths sides of the starter relay to make sure nuts are tight and clean(follow the +batt cable), as well as the +cable bolted onto the starter itself (for corrosion). Please disconnect -batt terminal before doing any of this!
I have also seen main fuse problems before, where the fuse will look to be intact but can have a break somewhere in the middle of the thin part (the area that is supposed to burn up when overloaded). It may almost appeard to have been cut by a razor knife at a slight angle. This could account for the twitchy on/off when vibration or impact is encountered.

Blurr 09-14-2006 08:42 PM

What happens when I go to start it is the dash and other lights go dim and the bike goes click, if I turn it off and on a few times or give it a boot it works....I am leaning towards a bad R/R or loose wires somewhere else...

Blurr 09-14-2006 08:45 PM

Not sure of the name brand but I think it might be the one in question

Blurr 09-14-2006 08:45 PM

What are the signs of one going?

Hawkrider 09-14-2006 08:47 PM

Check your connections to the starter. They are in a bad spot (behind front wheel) as far as dirt and corrosion are concerned. If you don't have a wire brush, buy one.

Blurr 09-14-2006 09:03 PM

Where exactly is is behind the front wheel???

Blurr 09-14-2006 09:12 PM

See funny thing is I couldnt not get it to start and I was hitting the rear of the bike on the left hand side so whats on that side of the bike that would be being weird