SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Quick water pump question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/quick-water-pump-question-33064/)

Rebirth98 04-06-2015 05:50 PM

Quick water pump question

I did some research and my weep hole is weeping...pun intended. I read that when rebuilding these units you need to get the shaft and bearings pressed in to a precise measurement. Might sound dumb but can I dissemble the unit or take off the entire case and take it to honda shop? (Don't trust the local guy I go to)

E.Marquez 04-06-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rebirth98 (Post 384533)
I did some research and my weep hole is weeping...pun intended. I read that when rebuilding these units you need to get the shaft and bearings pressed in to a precise measurement. Might sound dumb but can I dissemble the unit or take off the entire case and take it to honda shop? (Don't trust the local guy I go to)

Yes you can take the assembly off and have a shop do the work.

Or do it yourself
Or send it to someone to do it for you

Rebirth98 04-07-2015 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 384536)
Yes you can take the assembly off and have a shop do the work.

Or do it yourself
Or send it to someone to do it for you

So seeing as I don't know what actually is causing the weepage. Do you suggest just taking the water pump assembly off or te entire case cover on that side and replacing the gasket there as we'll?

CruxGNZ 04-07-2015 01:39 PM

You need to take the engine cover off. The water pump impeller is pressed into the cover. Download the Superhawk manual here and take a look at what is involved before delving into it, or if you dont already have one and want an actual paperback manual, thedeatons is selling one for a decent price in the classifieds.

thedeatons 04-07-2015 01:42 PM

Just sold my manual. THANK YOU FOR THE PLUG THOUGH!!!! :):):)

Water pump seals are easy. Try it! I use sockets as a "press" and gently tap the new seals in using the back of the socket and a light hammer. Very satisfying to do it yourself :)

James

E.Marquez 04-08-2015 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 384561)
Just sold my manual. THANK YOU FOR THE PLUG THOUGH!!!! :):):)

Water pump seals are easy. Try it! I use sockets as a "press" and gently tap the new seals in using the back of the socket and a light hammer. Very satisfying to do it yourself :)

James

Spoken like the minority that did not screw it up the first three times and seated the impeller too deep, or too shallow ( you have about 1.5 mm wiggle room) in the cover. Or damage the seal using the socket trick (very easy to do since it's not a driver and doesn't have a pilot to locate in the center hole)

Can it be done successfully with hammer and craftsman socket set..absolutely.
Do many more people screw it up than get it right? Absolutely

Take the cover off, drop it off at a reputable shop, pick it up in a few hours If they don't do it on the spot) pay an hour or less in labor, go home and install the cover with a new gasket and be back riding in minutes.

kenmoore 04-09-2015 04:15 AM

Install an electric water pump and never worry again!

Just a thought!