SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Questions from someone who is learning (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/questions-someone-who-learning-15020/)

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 08:35 AM

Questions from someone who is learning

I don't know a whole lot about coolant and all so before I flused out radiators and all, I asked my friends and they all told me to use Engine Ice. The bike runs fine, if not better; but it is still getting hot like it did before. It takes a little longer to get there and cools down a little faster. Is this right? From what I understood Engine Ice would keep it cool from the beginning. Anyone have any suggestons on what could be going on? I put 1 and a half containers in it...would that be enough?

Thanks for the help :0)

sassage 06-04-2008 08:41 AM

VTR needs 3.1 qt in the main and 0.75 qt in the reserve. 1.5 containers would be 3 qts. check your reserve tank level

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 09:06 AM

It is at the full mark.

lazn 06-04-2008 09:23 AM

what do you mean by getting hot? It is supposed to run in the 210's and the fan will kick on somewhere around there.

Otto Man 06-04-2008 10:29 AM

At long red lights its not uncommon at all for mine to go past the middle. The fan kicks on, and blows extremely hot air onto your leg. Once you get moving though, even alittle bit, it drops right back down. I've never once worried about it. It's a Honda, it'll be fine. :D

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 11:01 AM

OK. I guess I expected more out of the coolant. :cool:

superbling 06-04-2008 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by luv2insanity (Post 167488)
OK. I guess I expected more out of the coolant. :cool:

It's summer and you're in panama city. Deal with it. :)

I bought a used bandit 1200S there. Rode the greyhound to the bus station where the owner met me, made the deal, and rode it back to south Texas. This was in mid-July. I-10 was brutal, especially through La.

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 12:04 PM

I'm dealing ;) . Sitting at looong lights suck ass b/c it gets soo damn hot. My helmet feels like it is suffocating me and the heat from engine doesn't help me any. But whenever winter decides to appear I am going to hope it gets hot. haha

Moto Man 06-04-2008 12:31 PM

Do you ride in mesh gear? Won't help the helmet but might keep you cooler otherwise. I hear your pain I used to wait at 6+ minute lights in Las Vegas in 120 degree heat.

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 12:42 PM

I ride in jeans and t-shirt. Someone knocked my bike over monday so my clutch lever almost completly off the end is sharp so i have to wear gloves...but other than that i'm pretty bare.

lhoward1134 06-04-2008 12:57 PM

Mesh jacket with an Under Armor type shirt (not the thermal kind) should keep you cool(er).

Moto Man 06-04-2008 01:10 PM

Invest in a mesh jacket. You'll feel like your almost riding nude! And please wear your gloves (and other gear) all the time. We don't want you to get a nasty boo-boo and spoil your good looks.

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 02:47 PM

I have been wanting to get a jacket, but I just can't afford them right now. If I am going to buy one I want to go ahead and get a good/nice one. I should have one by next month (hopefully). I have had an odd week so I am going to take that last statement as a compliment. :0)

Moto Man 06-04-2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by luv2insanity (Post 167532)
I have had an odd week so I am going to take that last statement as a compliment. :0)

Thats how the statement was intended. ;)

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 03:54 PM

That's sweet. Thank you. :D

lazn 06-04-2008 04:13 PM

FYI, I was able to pickup a Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 mesh jacket for $75 on clearance at a local dealer. So it is worth checking in at such places from time to time.

There is always newenough.com etc. of course.

superbling 06-04-2008 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by luv2insanity (Post 167532)
I have been wanting to get a jacket, but I just can't afford them right now.

As the saying goes, can you afford a skin graft? I've got a JR mesh jacket with padding on closeout from newenough.com for a whopping $40 but those kind of deals don't come around very often.

superbling 06-04-2008 06:09 PM

I just browse their closeout section and if you are a woman (going by avatar), then you are in real luck: you can get both mesh jacket and pants for $60!!!!, assuming they have your size of course.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/b...le_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/m...cle_pants.html

luv2insanity 06-04-2008 06:27 PM

Nice. I am going to have to check it out then. It's hard for me to get into a dealer b/c of my hours at my job. They are usually closed whenever I get off :0( I thought about e-bay, but I don't want to buy something and then it not fit or something like that.

Gregw 06-04-2008 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Luv2,
Just a thought. Do you have the small inner body panels on the bike. I found out recently that they make a huge difference in the temp level. They're right up by the forks, see the blue arrow in the photo.

VTRsurfer 06-04-2008 08:20 PM

Anyone who has ridden older air cooled bikes doesn't really worry that much about overheating as long as the fan works.

Last week in the LA Times Susan Carpenter, who goes by the label "Throttle Jockey", rode an MV Agusta F4CC. That's $120,000 worth of motorcycle. She said that at an extremely long light waiting to make a left turn onto the freeway the temp hit 234F then started FLASHING. She cut the motor, then the light went green and she had trouble starting it and ended up making a rough start and running the red.

It could be much worse, you could be riding an Italian bike instead of a Honda.:thumbsup:

Thumper 06-04-2008 09:24 PM

July and August are the best times of the year to find closeout gear. New models come out in late August / early September and the on-line dealers start dumping the current model gear at a reduced price.

Just shop around.

Mesh pants and jacket are way to go, especially if you wear under Armor type shirt and shorts.

Much much cooler.

I typically wear mesh when i ride to work over my work clothes, its alittle hot, but i am protected.

now when we get out and run the back roads in TN i wear my one peice vented leathers ars the pass is quicker and i want better protection. Screw the heat, i want some cow hide or kangaroo hide between me and the asphaly if i go down.

Mesh is nice, but in a hard crash its not much better than jeans.

Well yes it is jeans are about as good as just wearing shorts, no protection at all.

ATGATT or just leave the bike in the garage....

luv2insanity 06-05-2008 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gregw (Post 167563)
Hi Luv2,
Just a thought. Do you have the small inner body panels on the bike. I found out recently that they make a huge difference in the temp level. They're right up by the forks, see the blue arrow in the photo.

I'm not sure I am going to have to see. I don't think so, when I took the ferrings off the other day I didn't notice if I did...

Gregw 06-05-2008 09:24 AM

I think those pieces keep the airflow only on the inside of the radiators, with the air venting by your legs. Without the panels the airflow goes down and the bike heats up.

luv2insanity 06-05-2008 10:48 AM

On lunch I forgot to look...I will try to remember when I leave later.

Hey Thumper, what are some good sites to look at gear?

fishface 06-06-2008 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by luv2insanity (Post 167505)
I ride in jeans and t-shirt. Someone knocked my bike over monday so my clutch lever almost completly off the end is sharp so i have to wear gloves...but other than that i'm pretty bare.

ouch thats gonna hurt are you mad :eek::eek::eek:

luv2insanity 06-06-2008 11:03 AM

Hell yeah I was pissed. It takes a lot to make me cry and I started to cry when I was approaching it. I tried to look at survallience, but trees were blocking almost the entire view of the camera, so there is really no point for it to be there.

VTRsurfer 06-08-2008 04:59 PM

Yeah that hurts. I saw a guy knock over a bike 25 years ago. I left a note with the license #, and the owner called later to thank me.