SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Questions - running on 1 cylinder.. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/questions-running-1-cylinder-23574/)

Acecool 08-23-2010 06:43 PM

Questions - running on 1 cylinder..

Ok, so my neighbor and I took apart both carbs to clean them.. Soaked them both and put them back together.

Attached all the hoses etc back up. Question the 2 thick hoses that 1 goes to each carb... 1 of them fills with fuel, the other doesnt, should they both be going to the carb, or should 1 be a return?

Quick edit: It doesnt always run on 1 cylinder... If I gun it, it acts like its trying, then sometimes the other cylinder activates and it rips! So I am going to replace spark plugs... but yeah, any other ideas?

RWhisen 08-23-2010 06:46 PM

Did you disconnect the vacuum line that goes to the petcock at the fuel tank?

Acecool 08-23-2010 06:49 PM

I have 5 hoses connected there:

2x big ones to each carb, I installed inline fuel filter on each.
1x tiny one
1x medium one
1x medium on the botton of the thing to turn fuel on and off

RWhisen 08-23-2010 06:52 PM

The small one you have on the bottom nipple doesn't go there. You need to move it to the side nipple. Search PVLIR.

Acecool 08-23-2010 07:13 PM

http://www.acecoolco.com/pictures/ca...2022.10.27.jpg

Edit: Picture uploaded

RWhisen 08-23-2010 07:24 PM

Yep, you have the little grey one on the wrong nipple. Search PVLIR.

Two big ones are easy

Third big one to the tank itself

The little one that turns big goes on the tank NOTE-looks like you may have a bad hose there, check where it slides on nipple

The other little one goes on the side of the petcock on the left, NOT the port on the bottom/back

saige 08-23-2010 08:32 PM

one question,why do you have fuel filters on it,this is not stock,when i bought my bike,it had the filters on it and it created flat spots on take off or choked the carbs during rides.i replaced hoses and it fixed my problems,do you have problems with yours.

Acecool 08-24-2010 04:50 AM

So all are correct, except the little one on the bottom/back (which actually can be hooked up to a siphon hose squeeze ball and the filters fill with fuel)

Ill look for the other nipple on the tank in the morning when I have light, next to none in the garage. And getting new spark plugs too!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, the one little hose was split (probably when I laid the gas tank upside down where the seat should be on a thick cloth)
I cut it shorter and put it on, then I saw where the other hose needed to go.. I then primered it again and more fuel went into the other carb filter.

Anyway, long story short: I fixed those 2 hoses and now she seems to run perfectly!

I adjusted the idle just a little more, to around 1100, and I touch the throttle and it jumps up :-P

I also found out there is a K&N air filter in this (by taking the airbox off to get to the carbs when we cleaned them) and I have some popping in the airbox at lower rpm (2500ish) and clears up over that. (going to replace the spark plugs today, especially since I dropped one and the gap went to 0, which I bent back out...)

@Saige: I put them on there to prevent gunk from getting into the carbs. The floater cover area literally had dirt in it. It is not creating any flat spots for me now that all the hoses are connected properly.

RWhisen 08-24-2010 05:00 AM

Another victim of PVLIR.

Idle spec is 1200 RPM.

Acecool 08-24-2010 05:31 AM

Cool, I will raise it to 1200, and I ordered the PAIR block off plates from a fellow member :-)

But yeah, seems to be almost perfect now, going to drive it to school today!

Many many thanks RWhisen :-)

RWhisen 08-24-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Acecool (Post 278990)
Many many thanks RWhisen :-)

That's what we are here for!:D

saige 08-24-2010 10:26 AM

hmmmmm,ok just wondering,mine had the filters on it just like yours and i had so many problems.for some reason,i took them off and put the straight hoses and problem was solved for me,as long as it works for you,than its all good.

Acecool 08-24-2010 03:21 PM

I have the clear ones, with the screen mesh inside that can be replaced. Were your flow directions pointing correctly?