SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Question for speedo swappers (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/question-speedo-swappers-25097/)

mikstr 04-02-2011 02:34 PM

Question for speedo swappers

AS some of you may recall, I recently swapped out stock cluster on my 99 VTR with that from an RC51. I was wondering, to those of you who have swapped out your stock cluster for another model (preferably RC51), has your speedo accuracy changed? I am currently using a Speedohealer (and running non-stock gearing) and was wondering if I will have to re-program it or not to compensate ? Incidentally, in a perfect world I could cross-reference it with the tach (using a spreadsheet you know speed per 1000 rpm in each gear) but as my tach doesn't yet work (that is next on my list, lol, though I think I have sourced the problem; just need to wait for the bike to get back from the shop so I can investigate further) so I can't do this.

BTW, yes I know I can check with a GPS (don't have one), but was hoping for a quick answer if someone knows.

thanks in advance :)

Tweety 04-03-2011 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 297668)
AS some of you may recall, I recently swapped out stock cluster on my 99 VTR with that from an RC51. I was wondering, to those of you who have swapped out your stock cluster for another model (preferably RC51), has your speedo accuracy changed? I am currently using a Speedohealer (and running non-stock gearing) and was wondering if I will have to re-program it or not to compensate ? Incidentally, in a perfect world I could cross-reference it with the tach (using a spreadsheet you know speed per 1000 rpm in each gear) but as my tach doesn't yet work (that is next on my list, lol, though I think I have sourced the problem; just need to wait for the bike to get back from the shop so I can investigate further) so I can't do this.

BTW, yes I know I can check with a GPS (don't have one), but was hoping for a quick answer if someone knows.

thanks in advance :)

Or you could just do a quick calculation using gearing commander or the spreadsheet I have posted a couple of times...

You can quite easily check the stock gearing on the RC, and it's stock tire size... Calculate the difference to where you are now, and that's how you change the speedohealer to compensate...

mikstr 04-03-2011 04:50 AM

Thanks Markus,

I have already calculated the actual speed per rpm for my currrent set-up (which is 26.1 km/h per 1000 rpm for a Power Pure 190/55 tire and 15/43 combo; FWIW, I had posted a gearing/speed spreadsheet to the KB a few years back also). AS I don't yet have an operational tach, I was looking for a possible shortcut to cross-reference things.

AS for the spreadsheet, as I don't have all the necessary internal ratios for the RC51, I have no means of verifying its data. Guess I'll just have to get that tach working (or borrow/buy a GPS)......

cheers