SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   question for shock rebuilders - need help (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/question-shock-rebuilders-need-help-22306/)

cliby 04-23-2010 06:49 PM

question for shock rebuilders - need help

2 Attachment(s)
trying to service my penske 8900 series shock and replace the reservoir hose. how do I remove this shaft bearing seal? Has anyone done this before. I thought it used a pin wrench but that was the older series with holes on the side of the shaft bearing not the top

close up (its the brass colored piece)

Attachment 27456

Attachment 27457

there are 4 holes in the top of it. From the penske manual it is a threaded piece that screws into the shock body

Any help much appreciated. hoping to get it done this weekend.

VTRsurfer 04-23-2010 06:58 PM

Penske probably has a special tool, but I would think an adjustable spanner wrench would work. You would just need the correct size for the holes. And don't ask me where to get a spanner wrench nowadays.

VTRsurfer 04-23-2010 07:01 PM

I just googled it, and found an adjustable spanner wrench with different size pins for $48. It's an OTC tool.

cliby 04-23-2010 07:06 PM

thanks. I definitely don't have the specialized tool from penske. I see Sears has adjustable spanner wrenches on their website, - doubt the store will carry it, but can check.

Tweety 04-24-2010 02:11 AM

The spanners from swapping the disc in an angle grinder could work... Check if you have one...

hondavtr1000sp2 04-24-2010 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 263294)
The spanners from swapping the disc in an angle grinder could work... Check if you have one...

Nice thinking there Tweety..........:idea:

Tweety 04-24-2010 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 263303)

Nice thinking there Tweety..........:idea:

Heh, dunno if it will work... But that's how I solve my budget woes...;)

hondavtr1000sp2 04-24-2010 07:05 AM

If it's free, it's always worth a try.... ;)

cliby 04-24-2010 07:40 AM

THanks guys for the ideas. I just have a little dremel so dont have the tool for the die grinder but NAPA suggested the same thing. Nobody carries in stock the asjustable spanner wrench. But, I figured out if you put it in a vice and insert a heavy punch/drift into 2 holes on opposite sides you can then use some very large lock plyers that clear the shaft but span both punches. You can then rotate and put equal pressure on both drifts and it rotates. Also free and at least I can get the job done this weekend. thanks for the suggestions

Tweety 04-24-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 263322)
THanks guys for the ideas. I just have a little dremel so dont have the tool for the die grinder but NAPA suggested the same thing. Nobody carries in stock the asjustable spanner wrench. But, I figured out if you put it in a vice and insert a heavy punch/drift into 2 holes on opposite sides you can then use some very large lock plyers that clear the shaft but span both punches. You can then rotate and put equal pressure on both drifts and it rotates. Also free and at least I can get the job done this weekend. thanks for the suggestions

That works... ;)

On another note, why not make one? 4-5 mm of sheet steel as a handle and a couple of short bolts of the rigth diameter in the right place...