SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Question on Sharkskinz (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/question-sharkskinz-11988/)

Dominion 06-28-2007 11:28 PM

Question on Sharkskinz

Anyone out there experiencing any cooling problems with the sharkskinz street upper? I notice that my bike doesn't cool back down once it heats up on the freeway like it did with the factory pieces. I also noticed that the sharkskinz didn't have the ducts that direct the air over the radiators like the factory pieces do. Any ideas about this? Thanks!

~Brian

swordfish 06-29-2007 09:43 AM

I've got the same upper but I didn't notice and difference in cooling. I actually thought it might help since alot more air can get to them without all the ductwork. I've had it for almost 3 seasons now, and the temp has never gone any higher than just past halfway on the old pre- 02' gauge cluster. unless its getting too hot I wouldn't sweat it.

ksumech 06-30-2007 07:52 AM

I have been lurking around the boards for awhile now, Just bought a 02' Hawk that had some road rash. I just wondered what type of front turn signals you guys installed on the sharkskins and whether or not you reinforced the body work where you installed them? My sharkskins arrived yesterday and I'm ready to get to work on them.

Dominion 06-30-2007 12:05 PM

Im dont run front turn signals. It looks cleaner without them on the front. I just use my hands if I think someone isn't paying attention to me.

~Brian

swordfish 07-01-2007 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think mine are dennis kirk but I don't remember for sure. they look like carbon fiber on the back. anyway, I just drilled 2 holes for the screws that attach to the fairing and one hole for the wires, tighten down the base put the cover on and then tighten the screws on that. other flushmounts hook up differently tho. as far as re-enforcement is concerned; before I painted the fairing I dropped the bike lightly in a parkinglot.the only mark on the fairing was a quarter size scuff on the corner where the part with the mirror comes down and meets the level part that runs under the clip-ons on the left. before I painted the fairing I successfully sanded out the scuff. the fairing is tough. and the way it hooks up gives it plenty of support.
this pic is of my flushmount. I had to crop it down to nothing. I can't believe the restriction on file size here. this pic might suck because of it.

ksumech 07-01-2007 07:57 AM

Unfortunately I bought the bike out of state and I have to have it inspected before I can get it back on the road, so no turn signals are not an option. Thanks for the pic, I think I get the idea. Will it pass inspection with flush mount turnsignals? I have some short stalks that I was considering installing.

Hawkrider 07-01-2007 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 59368)
I can't believe the restriction on file size here. this pic might suck because of it.

You can get a pretty good picture down to about 90kb if you know how to do it. If you didn't attach a thumbnail pic it would look a lot better. :lol:

I typically restrict my images to 1024x768 or 800x600. Picture quality at 90kb is generally pretty good for the internet.

swordfish 07-02-2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ksumech (Post 59389)
Unfortunately I bought the bike out of state and I have to have it inspected before I can get it back on the road, so no turn signals are not an option. Thanks for the pic, I think I get the idea. Will it pass inspection with flush mount turnsignals? I have some short stalks that I was considering installing.

I don't know what state you're in, but I know that NY does inspection and flushmounts are ok there. I live in chicago now, and you can put a motor on a red wagon and chuck it down the road and nobody will say anything.

ksumech 07-02-2007 01:58 PM

Wichita, Kansas (Any other Hawk riders close?). I had a 1976 Yamaha DT175 Enduro that I rebuilt inspected for a road title and they were actually fairly strict about lighting. I may try it with flush mounts. The worst they can say is no.

The DT before any work.
http://www.neibling.net/dt175/pictur...G_6955_JPG.jpg