SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   question about SSSA's (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/question-about-sssas-29269/)

scottiemann 10-07-2012 09:16 AM

question about SSSA's

So I've tried searching but haven't really found the information I'm looking for...

For the VFR SSSA conversion everyone says to use a VFR800 not the 750 because of how the shock links up is completely different. However disregarding the shock linkage completely what are the differences?

Weight, length, strength etc...?

scottiemann 10-08-2012 04:48 AM

anybody?

Tweety 10-09-2012 09:58 AM

You can really make it a lot easier... One is possible to fit, the other is not possible to fit according to those that have tried... So unless you are using them on another bike, does it really matter?

scottiemann 10-09-2012 11:51 AM

It could be going on a ground up superhawk engine build or it could be going on an older sport bike(ie. Custom frame)... my question was not whether its gonna fit but the main differences besides the shock location, mainly performance wise...weight, strength, length and distance between the pivot bolt mount points...

I'm going to try and search on a few other forums I was just figuring since the vfr was such a popular swap someone might know... like I said most of.the searching I've found here says it wont work but mainly due to the shock location

smokinjoe73 10-09-2012 12:17 PM

Its not the shock mount but the way it attaches to the frame/motor. They are similar in other aspects but you only need spacers and bushings to connect the 800 but huge fabrication for the 750. Check them out on ebay & you can see the structural difference.

scottiemann 10-09-2012 04:55 PM

Holy dddjhtchiyrdvjihfrhnvfgjjb don't I feel like an idiot... for some reason during some of my searches they looked similar but the searches were on my phone...

Anyways, I still would like to find answers to my questions as they also pertained to other bike swaps with custom frames and other engines... any ideas where I could find this info?

smokinjoe73 10-09-2012 06:17 PM

Uh, no cuz custom by definition could be absolutely ANYTHING so, that being a superlative, no way could anyone tell how a sss would fit on anything.

If you narrow it down to fewer than infinite variables it would help your cause. (saying various other frames doesnt narrow it down much either)

scottiemann 10-09-2012 06:48 PM

I think there might be some confusion here...

My question was regarding the two as their own entity, completely disregarding the fact that its a bike part... forget about bike, engine, frame etc...

My only question is what are the differences in weight, length and strength between the two...

102dals 10-09-2012 06:56 PM

SSSA for the 800 is slightly longer, increases wheelbase about 1.5", slows steering very slightly (can be partly returned via dropping forks, etc). Mounting the 750 is very difficult, 800 is reasonably straightforward. Biggest differnece is linkage and rear pipe mounting...you need a new "dogbone" and change in the rear header routing. I have almost all the parts (wheel, disc, swingarm, etc) but it takes some fabrication anyway.

scottiemann 10-09-2012 07:19 PM

Good to know, any idea on weight difference?

102dals 10-09-2012 07:43 PM

I haven't weighed the stock stuff, but I'd bet the VFR's heavier.

scottiemann 10-09-2012 08:00 PM

Yea I agree .. sorry I meant between the vfr arms. 800 looks like it would be heavier than the 750 given it has to compensate for having the ears instead of the solid block with a hole cut in it...

JamieDaugherty 10-10-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 102dals (Post 343013)
SSSA for the 800 is slightly longer, increases wheelbase about 1.5", slows steering very slightly (can be partly returned via dropping forks, etc).

I would say that it would effect the steering quite a bit more than "slightly". The long wheelbase is one of the stock VTR's problem areas and making it longer is the wrong way to go. Dropping the forks reduces trail - another area the VTR's stock geometry is lacking.

If it's looks and "cool factor" you are after then a single sided swingarm like the VFR's would be a neat way to go. Just bear in mind that it will be a step backwards in handling. Just my two cents....

smokinjoe73 10-10-2012 06:18 PM

I agree with all that in theory, but my SSS hawk with cbr1000rr forks handles really sweet. I actually like the fact that you can launch it twice as hard without wheeling too.