Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

question about fox shock

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 07:06 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
question about fox shock

Been a while since I was in here looking around, good to see the long time hawkers still here!

I have a question about recharging a fox shock with nitrogen. The shock is a fox double clicker. The shock no longer is "clicking" when the blue damping adjuster ring is turned. The shock is not leaking oil so I assume it's because the nitrogen has leaked out from the reservoir over time. From some of my reading, I find that the nitrogen can leak out.
So...if the shock reservoir leaked the nitrogen charge can the reservoir be recharged or am I in for a rebuild to do it right?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
When was the last time the shock was serviced? If it has been more than 3 yrs I would get it rebuilt.
Though I am a bit more **** about getting the rear shock serviced since snapping the shaft on an Ohlins shock due to putting of the recommended service interval.
Plus they work much better with fresh oil =)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:04 AM
SuperSport

foxy

that's the response I thought I'd get, and the riding season is hot just now. I got the forks re-valved and did some other work, that's when I discovered the clicker wasn't clicking on the shock. The reservoir is fine and the shock isn't leaking but setting the dampening on the shock is tricky without the "click". Maybe I buy one of Jamie's shocks and install it, get the fox shock rebuilt and sell it.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Before all that I would stop by Catalyst Reaction and see what they have to say about your shock.
https://www.crstuning.com/
Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Those clicks are mechanical detents and leaked nitrogen shouldn't be the culprit.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:47 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I had Jamie rebuild my twin clicker. He may be the only one around with parts to do a proper rebuild on that shock
Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Another FYI on your options.
If you want more info or another source for service is just go to Fox http://www.ridefox.com/service.php
Old 07-01-2018, 09:26 AM
SuperSport

I read a posting on another forum that mentioned that the shock needs recharged if the clicker stops. If it's mechanical there would not be any correlation between nitrogen charge and the click function. The shock seems to respond to adjustments made with the dampening ring on the shock but I'm making those changes by counting the number of turns out from all the way in.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:37 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Another FYI on your options.
If you want more info or another source for service is just go to Fox http://www.ridefox.com/service.php
FOX not responding to my emails, don't think they want to bother with street bikes.
I had my forks done by James at Super Plush in San Francisco, they may have information.
I guess my biggest concern is if the shock creates a safety issue.
Also, I just got the forks re-valved and re-sprung with linear springs and would like to get some riding in.
Like I said, the shock "looks" like it's in good shape; not leaking oil and no visible pitting on the shaft but I am concerned about failure during a ride.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:49 PM
MotoGP

It has a fitting. Find a local place that has nitrogen and get it checked.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:16 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Those clicks are mechanical detents and leaked nitrogen shouldn't be the culprit.
Yes, low nitrogen pressure is definitely the reason for no clicks.

I'd find a local shop that services motocross shocks - they will have the necessary equipment. Have them charge it to 190-200psi and you should be fine. This is something that needs to be done every other year or so anyway. It doesn't even need to be off the bike, I'd just ride in and have them do it.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2018, 12:26 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Yes, low nitrogen pressure is definitely the reason for no clicks.

I'd find a local shop that services motocross shocks - they will have the necessary equipment. Have them charge it to 190-200psi and you should be fine. This is something that needs to be done every other year or so anyway. It doesn't even need to be off the bike, I'd just ride in and have them do it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the follow up Jamie. I've dealt with mechanical detents for the majority of my professional career, which wasn't working on Fox shocks. I'll file that info in my Rolodex.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 PM
SuperSport

thank you Jamie. I was unsure of the pressure and was having trouble finding information.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:09 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Thanks for the follow up Jamie. I've dealt with mechanical detents for the majority of my professional career, which wasn't working on Fox shocks. I'll file that info in my Rolodex.
From (20-year old) memory, the adjustment wheel bears on a cross-shaft that engages the end of the needle that enters the shock shaft and adjusts the actual rebound bleed port size. Gas pressure pushes the needle out of the shock shaft so it sits in firm contact with the cross-shaft, and that pushes on the adjustment wheel. The adjustment wheel has detentes on the face that bears on the shaft. So no gas pressure = no detente action.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM
SuperSport

took the hawk in and got the reservoir charged to just under 200 psi. the detente is working again, yay! question is, why did the nitrogen leak out in the first place, is that normal? rebuild in order?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
took the hawk in and got the reservoir charged to just under 200 psi. the detente is working again, yay! question is, why did the nitrogen leak out in the first place, is that normal? rebuild in order?
That's normal. The nitrogen in the reservoir should be recharged every 1-2 years as normal service. This goes for all shocks.