SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Question about engine removal and reinstall (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/question-about-engine-removal-reinstall-9099/)

killer5280 07-08-2006 10:24 AM

Question about engine removal and reinstall

This is for you guys who have pulled the engine out of the VTR. I'm about to take mine out for high compression pistons and ported heads and I wonder if there is a workaround for the proprietary lock nut wrenches required for adjusting the lock nuts on the engine hanger bolts?
Has anyone done this without these wrenches, or, does anyone have these wrenches lying around that I could borrow?

Thanks for your help.

SNGPerformance 07-08-2006 10:36 AM

A steady hand and a small blunt air chisel. Don't forget to soak in PB Blaster or WD-40 a few times before trying.

shayne 07-09-2006 02:32 AM

I made some of my own tools by modifying some cheap sockets of the correct size. Get to them with the angle grinder to just leave the bits you need to turn the lock nuts. Not pretty but work well.

E.Marquez 07-09-2006 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by shayne
I made some of my own tools by modifying some cheap sockets of the correct size. Get to them with the angle grinder to just leave the bits you need to turn the lock nuts. Not pretty but work well.

ding ding ding.. we have a winner.

I always keep my eye out for used sockets at garage sales, fleamarkets, pawn shops. You can get good quality stuff (Snap on, Matco,MAC, Craftsman) for $.10-.50 each. I keep a good selection of sizes in the "custom tool" rollaway for just such an occasion. Cut off wheel in an air tool, or a carbide bit in an air motor..in under 30 minutes you can have a perferct tool for this job.

killer5280 07-09-2006 10:39 AM

Great idea. Thanks guys.

superbling 07-09-2006 01:18 PM

I don't have the link here at home but a former owner in Japan had a picture how-to for making one.

killer5280 07-09-2006 03:47 PM

I think I know who you're talking about. I'll see if I can find the link.

E.Marquez 07-10-2006 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by superbling
I don't have the link here at home but a former owner in Japan had a picture how-to for making one.

This one

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/red_vtr.htm

vtrstunta 07-24-2006 07:51 PM

i just borrowed the real tool from my local shop, but then again, i know some bike mechs can be dicks...

RCVTR 07-25-2006 08:10 AM

The real tools are not that expensive. Buy them, then you'll have them. Torque spec is important on those, so I wouldn't recommend the chisel idea. Follow the factory recommended tightening procedure

killer5280 07-25-2006 08:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got everything apart without the real tools using the homemade tool from the socket trick. We'll see how everything goes back together. Right now my bike looks like this. . .

calitoz 07-25-2006 09:33 AM

Interested in a set of cams since you are doing pistons and valves?

killer5280 07-25-2006 10:54 AM

Thanks. Those Megacycle cams are probably a little more radical than I want to go, plus they necessitate the use of aftermarket springs. I want to keep most of the characteristics of the stock powerband, but with more everywhere.
I did look into those cams when you first posted the info, but decided against them. How much are you looking for, by the way?

calitoz 07-25-2006 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280
Thanks. Those Megacycle cams are probably a little more radical than I want to go, plus they necessitate the use of aftermarket springs. I want to keep most of the characteristics of the stock powerband, but with more everywhere.
I did look into those cams when you first posted the info, but decided against them. How much are you looking for, by the way?

I'll sell it for $225 plus shipping.

shayne 07-25-2006 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280
I got everything apart without the real tools using the homemade tool from the socket trick. We'll see how everything goes back together. Right now my bike looks like this. . .

Those pictures look familiar!! Just what my shed looked like a while ago.

killer5280 07-25-2006 09:42 PM

When I look at all the boxes of parts the reassembly task seems a little daunting. I know that if I take my time and remember to be patient everything will come out OK.
Now if all the parts would just get here I could get started.

shayne 07-26-2006 03:31 AM

I waited six months for all my parts, but the big wait was pistons and rings from the US! We are such a small market in Australia, that they made them when they were good and ready, and all I could do was wait.

You won't have that problem.