SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Prospecting SSSA conversion - some Qs (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/prospecting-sssa-conversion-some-qs-12807/)

Slim 09-28-2007 02:14 PM

Prospecting SSSA conversion - some Qs

Yes, i've been searching, however I still have some questions and concerns about this, hence my asking. (oh, and since I still don't even have the bike in my posession yet - keep thiis in mind please)

1) understood that the wheelbase is extended by 1.5". I consider this to be an important note, further re-enforced by the fact that the particular VTR I am purchasing has a CBR929RR front end on it (indicating I already have a hindered - and large - steering radius). Is there anything that can be done to shorten this, perhaps with the bushings or ..... ?

2) probably the most important point for me is the added weight. Where is this weight coming from and how much are we talking about here?? Has anyone ever bothered to check out individual component weights? Surely some of the racer types have some info here?

3a) shock re-location - has anyone bothered doing something different with the linkage and/or shock location to also utilize a shock with a different length and/or stroke? (yes, i'm aware of the difference between the two - I tune my own suspension)

3b) how does the rear suspension feel after this mod? "Softer"?

4) has anyone done this mod and NOT liked it? I mean, of course, from a non-aesthetics point of view.

Honestly, I think it looks GORGEOUS (!!!!!), but the added weight and wheelbase concern me. I don't mind spending the time and money (okay, I do, but ..... *shrug*) not if it's gonna make my bike suck to do anything other than look at while posing at Timmys. LOL! I'll gladly start pulling triggers left, right and center on parts, but ..... just not sold on it yet.

All/any help is greatly appreciated!

PATIA!

(don't mind me ..... single sided swingarm swing arm SSS )

Slim 10-05-2007 05:25 PM

Really?!??!?!? Not even the weight?!?!?! Surely some of the folks that race their bike might have something here?!?!

superbling 10-05-2007 08:35 PM

Andrew,

Due to the complexity and PITA, most folks admire this mod rather than do it. Brian, the fellow who did the one posted in the KB section, checks in on occasion so you should probably send him a PM.

Yes a SSSA is heavier. How much more? Dunno. Adding lighter aftermarket cans would most likely cancel it out or a majority of the gain anyway.

The centered shock doesn't seem to be as much of a PITA as the exhaust tho'. I think that is the weak link in the project. It can't be good for HP putting a very hard kink so close to the port.

The shorter 929 forks should help with the extended wheelbase issues.

SSSA are heavier than a regular swingarm of the same rigidity so the only real advantage is quicker wheel changes in endurance racing (plus no chain alignment issues). But we love 'em for the pure sexiness, oh yes we do.

Slim 10-05-2007 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 132280)
Andrew,

Due to the complexity and PITA, most folks admire this mod rather than do it. Brian, the fellow who did the one posted in the KB section, checks in on occasion so you should probably send him a PM.

Yes a SSSA is heavier. How much more? Dunno. Adding lighter aftermarket cans would most likely cancel it out or a majority of the gain anyway.

The centered shock doesn't seem to be as much of a PITA as the exhaust tho'. I think that is the weak link in the project. It can't be good for HP putting a very hard kink so close to the port.

The shorter 929 forks should help with the extended wheelbase issues.

SSSA are heavier than a regular swingarm of the same rigidity so the only real advantage is quicker wheel changes in endurance racing (plus no chain alignment issues). But we love 'em for the pure sexiness, oh yes we do.

Yeah, the bling certainly get's the vote. You've stated it well about why it's done in the first place. I guess, for me, i'm trying to see some "Silver (practical) Lining" in it - LOL! I guess it can be argued that the longer wheelbase will help reduce the chance of wheelies (I prefer to keep them both on the ground).

I have a swing arm/hub/etc purchased (won from E-Bay), just gotta pick it up from my buddy's place (in Buffalo ;) ), so now I really just need to get a Gen 5 wheel (don't quote me on that - the 5.5" wide 5-spoker) and I can get started. It'll be a winter project, for sure. Bike get's legalized for road use next week and i'll take the rest of this year to ride it and play lightly ..... and hunt for more parts and equipment (tube bender for exhaust).

WOW! TOTALLY missed out on the chain tension thingy. Ummmm, you've done this - how DO you adjust chain tension on one of these SSSAs?!?!??!?!? :confused:

Thank you very much kind sir! :)

Slim 10-05-2007 09:08 PM

Forgot, one more - what is the tooth count for a stock 5th Gen VFR rear sprocket? :D

superbling 10-06-2007 08:59 AM

No I haven't done this, I have/had seven vf/vfr's over the years. 3,5 and 6gen wheels are all 5.5 only the 4gen 94-97 is 5.0 The 8 spoke 3gen is the heaviest.

You will need the OEM chain tool (available separately from the tool kit). It's a big c-spanner that grabs notches on the adjuster behind the sprocket. A big pinch bolt keeps it locked down. Don't forget chain guard.

I believe it was 17t on the 5gen.

Slim 10-06-2007 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 132297)
No I haven't done this, I have/had seven vf/vfr's over the years. 3,5 and 6gen wheels are all 5.5 only the 4gen 94-97 is 5.0 The 8 spoke 3gen is the heaviest.

You will need the OEM chain tool (available separately from the tool kit). It's a big c-spanner that grabs notches on the adjuster behind the sprocket. A big pinch bolt keeps it locked down. Don't forget chain guard.

I believe it was 17t on the 5gen.

Yes, poor phrasing on my part - "you've owned several of these" is what I meant to say.

Ahhhh, okay, one more tool to buy. Thank you for that.

Ummmm, rear sprocket? I'm inclined to believe 17T is the front. I counted in the pic and the '98 this rear is supposedly from has what I believe to be a 43T rear sprocket.

Thank you for the additional wheel knowledge (and overall, of course), Doug!!!!!

(sigh) Is it Thursday YET?!?!??!?!? :p