SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Projector headlight wiring (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/projector-headlight-wiring-29705/)

archaicguy 01-17-2013 01:17 PM

Projector headlight wiring

I'm fixing to purchase a kit from the retrofit source. I am going to be running leds and an angeleye. The headlight normally comes on with the key but I want the angel eye and leds to come on with the key and the headlight only to come on when I switch it on. How should I run the unit to do that?

7moore7 01-17-2013 02:17 PM

You're still running Hi/Low beams, correct?

There are two ways to do this that I can think of. First, you can add a switch that allows you to turn the headlight on manually. You could try to fit an aftermarket on/off switch on. Something like this or a little flip on the tripples or something.
Tusk Universal on Off Switch Dirt Bike Motorcycle ATV | eBay

I have an extra b/c I was planning to do this but my CBR clip-ons were too short to fit it. If you want it (I may have a couple of options haha!), you're welcome to it for cheap. Or source a euro light switch unit as their codes don't require them to be on so they come with it built in.
Suzuki GSXR750 R H Switch Gear Start Stop Kill Lights Right GSXR 750 M 91 | eBay

You'd just wire in the on/off to your headlight relay and then the Hi/Lo would still work. Just like a car

Second, you could add a delay timer which I've never done and wouldn't know how to start! But I know people have done it.

archaicguy 01-18-2013 03:00 AM

I do still plan on Hi/Low working so all I need is a switch wired to the power relay...good. I may be interested in one of those switches you have, just let me know what you have and how much.
Thanks

twist 01-18-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 347724)
You're still running Hi/Low beams, correct?

There are two ways to do this that I can think of. First, you can add a switch that allows you to turn the headlight on manually. You could try to fit an aftermarket on/off switch on. Something like this or a little flip on the tripples or something.
Tusk Universal on Off Switch Dirt Bike Motorcycle ATV | eBay

I have an extra b/c I was planning to do this but my CBR clip-ons were too short to fit it. If you want it (I may have a couple of options haha!), you're welcome to it for cheap. Or source a euro light switch unit as their codes don't require them to be on so they come with it built in.
Suzuki GSXR750 R H Switch Gear Start Stop Kill Lights Right GSXR 750 M 91 | eBay

You'd just wire in the on/off to your headlight relay and then the Hi/Lo would still work. Just like a car

Second, you could add a delay timer which I've never done and wouldn't know how to start! But I know people have done it.

I like the idea of a timer. I really resent not being able to switch the light off. Having a timer on the headlight so it comes on after start makes sense in the event I forget to turn it on after I start the machine. For some reason I want to suspend unnecessary power drains when I start the bike.

Stixx 01-18-2013 09:38 AM

If I can find it I have a Tripage HID Delay Relay That I bought to use on mine and just did not not use. I would take 25.00 plus exact shipping. If you are interested let me know and I will look for it.

Tweety 01-18-2013 09:57 AM

Even though I'm in Euroland, so I have a off switch to start with, I'm running GSXR switchgear on both handlebars... The upshot is that I get hazard lights, I get a lightswitch on the same handle as the startbutton and instead of the stupid OEM headlight switch that accumulates rainwater, oxidizes and then sticks on highbeam...

With a little ingenuity, you can even get the older switch gear, that gives you the choke handle on the left clip-on and hook it up...

I'll be happy to help out with wiring questions...