SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   please could someone give me some ideals!!!!! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/please-could-someone-give-me-some-ideals-31845/)

BILOXI228 04-05-2014 03:56 PM

please could someone give me some ideals!!!!!

hey guys,im new here well, long story short I paid 1500 for this Honda vtr 1000 like 2 weeks ago and MAN I have not had this bike running at all,cleaned carbs,cleaned out rust out tank,well, it all started with the bike had no power and would die,oh ya bike 2002 Honda vtr 1000 nothing but stock,it was always hard to start the bike up ,it would work someday then wont work,i would latterly sit there till the battery dies,so I cleaned carbs with carb cleaner,the bike has not started at all, took carbs off let jets soak for a while then put all bike, then bike would start but awfull idle and no power at throttle at all and poppin exhaust well got home, and that was last time the bike came alive the it will turn over but wont start ,so I brough to shop and they said I had low compression in cyclinder 1 and would cost me 1300$ so I tried telling him it would be 1 and 2 cause for only 2 spark plugs and he was like u got to have 4, so I picked up bike and took a look a my cam shaft and valves ,my cam shaft was off like 5 teeth and valves was good and put all togather and still wont crank,and befor I sent to shop it had white smoke coming out of engine where the exhaust starts and smelled like burning plastic,i really need someone to tell me what I could do to fix this problem befor I start going in engine, thanks guys and hope to be with forums for a while :)p.s and when I got bike if I turned over a lot it would make this really loud "CLUNK"sound and almost slammed bike down,and sometimes loud back fire and under my gas tank it feel like air pushes up my gas tank like one quick burst ! but only happens here and there...

Wicky 04-05-2014 04:15 PM

Carb farts is perfectly normal - though you might want to raise idle to lessen the chance of it stalling. Cheack TPS and balance carbs.

Did you test ride it before buying it? as it sounds you've got a lot of work to do yourself in rectifying the running issues, and to keep the costs down. When was it last properly serviced? Has it had a CCT problem just before you bought? Have you downloaded the PDF service manual and searching the workshop section on carb set up etc.?

PS Can you try writing in paragraphs as a big block of text is hard to read - ta

BILOXI228 04-05-2014 04:42 PM

haha ya my bad about paragraphs,no I did test ride it ,it ran pretty good and I thought it was a steal, I don't know the properly serviced date, yes I have a manual on hand, but I didn't know nothing about "balancing a carb :( that's nottt good, ok bout to check tps and and wat is cct problems im sorry man

rick 04-05-2014 04:50 PM

Holy shit.
Please use separate paragraph and sentences and some periods. Lol

But basically you need to do a complete baseline maintenance and inspection before further troubleshooting.

Check (and reset if needed) the cam timing and valve clearances. You said the timing was off. Make sure there is no valve damage. The CCT is probably shot and that is what caused the timing to be off. Replace that with a new OEM or a manual CCT.

When you said you cleaned the carbs, did you disassemble it and clean it properly. If not I recommend doing that too. Upon reassembly make sure any 'o' rings that are hard or too deformed are replaced with new. Make sure the float height is set right. Adjust the TPS and you pilot screw.

Is your intake and exhaust stock? If not I'd put stock stuff back on for now.

BILOXI228 04-05-2014 04:59 PM

im all stock and do I have to take carb off to get to pilot screw I know someone said I could get to it without taking carbs off and is there anyway to balcance carbs without vaccumm gagues

Wicky 04-05-2014 05:00 PM

Yup if compression test hasn't looked good then you need to check valve clearances and if way out then you probably have CCT failure and have bent valves. Best not try to start the bike as you risk doing further damage - to manually turn it over best use the access in the alternator cover.

2wheelsagain 04-05-2014 11:02 PM

It sounds to me like a CCT failure. Check compression on front cyl at least. White smoke is oil and that worries me. If it passes make sure the battery is good because they need a good swing to fire. I wouldn't be surprised if valve timing was still out.

7moore7 04-06-2014 06:21 AM

What's your location? Sounds like CCT failure if there's low compression and the timing was out

VTR1000F 04-06-2014 09:42 AM

If valves are bent and not seating, you'd get zero compression. So, low compression may be a very good thing in this case. Get your timing right and address any failed CCTs before you end up with bent valves and a bigger problem.

insulinboy 04-06-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 370934)
If valves are bent and not seating, you'd get zero compression. So, low compression may be a very good thing in this case. Get your timing right and address any failed CCTs before you end up with bent valves and a bigger problem.

you'd be supprised. you can still get as much as 50 or 60 psi even with a bent valve depending on the stroke of the engine and how fast the piston is moving durring the compression test.

If you are rotating the engine by hand for the compression test you're right, but when doing it with the starter button you can get a small reading generally

VTR1000F 04-06-2014 10:57 AM

"bent and not seating" If they are seating, but leaky do to a very minor bend (if there is such a thing) I'd agree with you. If they are bent enough to not even seat, I don't think you're going to see any compression build.

Oh, and, "MAY be a very good thing..." I try not to talk in absolutes when I don't know what I'm talking about.

Be quiet 7.

rick 04-06-2014 02:00 PM

I agree with what both of you say.

Bent enough to not fully seat the valve but , but good enough to restrict the flow would result in transient high pressures, which the compression tester would record.

I'd do a leak down test now.

FTL900 04-07-2014 08:28 AM

I would also stop trying to start and run the bike. If it's damaged internally, it'll only get worse.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the OP may be from Biloxi Mississippi.

7moore7 04-07-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 370938)
Be quiet 7.

I don't have a whispering font and if you don't like my accent, yer can just get out!

mikstr 04-07-2014 09:45 AM

Here is an ideal: no man should go hungry.... :)