SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS tires - ohyeah (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/pirelli-diablo-strada-ems-tires-ohyeah-9915/)

wormeater 11-09-2006 07:39 PM

Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS tires - ohyeah

I've put about 3k miles on the Stradas now, and remain very happy with them. Previous tires were Michelin Power Sports, and I spent a lot of time tweaking suspension settings but not feeling comfortable, right up until I switched to the Stradas. Now after the initial day of setup I don't tweak anymore. My guess is that the tire profile matches the bike well.

Tires have a very neutral feel, better feedback than I'd expected, nothing strange happens even when slipping the rear tire a bit or pushing the front hard. Excellent braking over rough pavement. They don't look new anymore, but they seem to be wearing really well.

Bike has an Ohlins shock, aftermarket fork springs, 15wt silkolene oil, I run the preload a bit soft for my weight.

YMMV.worm

AC COBRA 11-09-2006 07:58 PM

same tires here, they hook very well for the mileage you get out of them

superbling 11-10-2006 06:52 AM

At 3k now, how much life do you estimate it has left? What's your typical gas mileage?

nuhawk 11-10-2006 11:42 AM

Doug, what kind of tires are you running on your VFR? I did the deal this morning (:mrgreen:) but the tires are shit and need to be replaced before mile one. I thought I would go with Qualifiers but I'm interested in what you're running.

superbling 11-10-2006 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 34818)
Doug, what kind of tires are you running on your VFR? I did the deal this morning (:mrgreen:) but the tires are shit and need to be replaced before mile one. I thought I would go with Qualifiers but I'm interested in what you're running.

Cool beans!

Uhh, kinda' dating myself but I had 207's on the 94 viffer. The good news is that bike runs a 170 rear and will save you some coin. Resist mounting a 180. Mine came with new one and when I eventually replaced it, the handling improved big time.

My vtec came with pilot powers. I replaced the rear with another one which I just used up on the BB ride. I don't like their feedback compared to pirelli diablo or corsas. Those have been my favorites for quite a while. I going to switch out and run a corsa front with either a diablo or strada rear depending on what I find.

Enjoy your new ride! That's a great combo you've got now.

nuhawk 11-10-2006 02:34 PM

Thanks, Dude! I'm really proud of her and it will take a little to bring her around. Calitoz is right. The stock pipe is wimpy but I got a couple D&D cans from Lou for the 'Hawk that I never mounted (gutted the stockers instead) so I am toying with the idea of putting one of them on the VFR. I like the sound of the D&D on my son's CBR but they're too loud on the Superhawk. I will let you know as I learn more about this new bike. Biggest problem at the moment is figuring a new handle for the other forum. :mrgreen:

wormeater 11-10-2006 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 34800)
At 3k now, how much life do you estimate it has left? What's your typical gas mileage?

I'm going out on the limb here, but I'd say 5-6k miles more? Previous bikes, I'd go thru a front in about 2/3 the time as the rear. This big ol' Vtwin, I think they'll both go at the same time.

Typical mileage is about 32 mpg during my commute, about 35 during a normal ride.

FYI.worm

Randman 11-10-2006 08:35 PM

8 to 9K on one set of tires?? Hmm interesting....Now is that straight line riding? any twisties involved? Track days? etc......

Inquiring minds want to know>......:-D

wormeater 11-11-2006 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx (Post 34850)
8 to 9K on one set of tires?? Hmm interesting....Now is that straight line riding? any twisties involved? Track days? etc......

Inquiring minds want to know>......:-D

Browser crashed while replying, hopefully this won't post twice.

re: 8-9k on these tires - that's a guess, I hope they last that long.

re: type of riding, 70% suburban/light industry commuting, routes chosen randomly to link together the fun sections, lots of detours thru parking lots and new construction areas. I've noticed that roads which start with a 'road closed' sign have a lot less traffic on them ...

point is, the speeds are low.

rest of the riding is in the mountains, tightest roads I can find. seldom crest 85mph, but I do try to get from 20-60 in the minimum time possible. chicken strips are about 1/8" wide. on a few carefully chosen sections, after a trip or two to practice, I can drag my knee pucks comfortably - feedback from the front is surprisingly good while heeled over, better than from the previous Pilot Power.

I'm too old and slow to push the bike or the tires towards their limits, we all stay well within our comfort zones, but I do like to dance it thru the twisty sections.

re: track days - gave those up when I sold the GSXR.

(BTW, looks like there are similar threads in the performance mods section)

Cliffhanger - same questions back at you, and what kind of tire miles do you rack up?

later.worm

Randman 11-11-2006 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by wormeater (Post 34873)
Browser crashed while replying, hopefully this won't post twice.

re: 8-9k on these tires - that's a guess, I hope they last that long.

re: type of riding, 70% suburban/light industry commuting, routes chosen randomly to link together the fun sections, lots of detours thru parking lots and new construction areas. I've noticed that roads which start with a 'road closed' sign have a lot less traffic on them ...

point is, the speeds are low.

rest of the riding is in the mountains, tightest roads I can find. seldom crest 85mph, but I do try to get from 20-60 in the minimum time possible. chicken strips are about 1/8" wide. on a few carefully chosen sections, after a trip or two to practice, I can drag my knee pucks comfortably - feedback from the front is surprisingly good while heeled over, better than from the previous Pilot Power.

I'm too old and slow to push the bike or the tires towards their limits, we all stay well within our comfort zones, but I do like to dance it thru the twisty sections.

re: track days - gave those up when I sold the GSXR.

(BTW, looks like there are similar threads in the performance mods section)

Cliffhanger - same questions back at you, and what kind of tire miles do you rack up?

later.worm

I have about 900 miles on some BTO'S I got from superhawk22 (track take off's) he had roughly 400 miles on them, they still look great, I did a lot of upright riding til I hit N.C. about 2 months ago, now I have about 300 miles of twisties on them, so far they have handled great, I am new to this kind of riding, so I don't drag anything....This spring I hope to put at least 300-400 miles per week on her...These tires should be fine til then, so I don't know what I will put on her then....let me know how these work out, may go that route....