SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   PAIR system block off plates (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/pair-system-block-off-plates-7662/)

CNI Dawg 09-28-2005 04:49 PM

PAIR system block off plates

Does anyone make a block off plate to replace the PAIR system reed valve?
It seems it would be a cleaner modification to have a block off plate instead of just disabling the reed valve.

My old Kawasaki Vulcan had a similar system & several companies sold block off plates.
It was faster to just buy their plate rather than making one in the garage. (time is money :-)

drrty 09-29-2005 06:53 PM

Re: PAIR system block off plates

My buddy disabled the PAIR system on his RC51, and was telling me I might look into doing it on my Superhawk as well. He recommended someone named Dan Kyle for the blockoff plates. I haven't checked it out yet, I have accident repairs to tend to first, but it could be worth a shot.

VTRFISH 09-29-2005 07:35 PM

I remember seeing them at the Two Brothers site.

I made my own with scrap Alum. plate and basic hand tools. Took the PAIR cover off....scribbed the out-line ......drilled the holes......cut to fit. :D Works fine.

Mike

jschmidt 09-30-2005 05:14 AM

I bought the 2bro plates, but after seeing them, I'd certainly make my own next time. See above.

motojoe 10-08-2005 09:12 AM

What benefit is gained by blocking off the reed valves?

CNI Dawg 10-08-2005 11:56 AM

Just in case you haven't read about it..... here is a link to the PAIR system removal (and a short explaination of the system)
https://www.superhawkforum.com/kb.php?mode=article&k=6

A block off plate would make a 'cleaner' job of the PAIR system removal.

The PAIR system is used to reduce emmisions for the EPA Nazis.
It injects air into the exhaust.
This burns any leftover gas in the exhaust header.
It causes popping back on decelleration (especially noticable with aftermarket slip-on cans), discoloration of the exhaust headers, and excess heat in the exhaust header.

superbling 10-08-2005 01:26 PM

Cheap bastard method:
You can unhook the hose at the valve cover plate, stick an appropriate sized rubber cork in the pipe opening, and slide the hose back on. Done. :D

CNI Dawg 10-08-2005 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot (Post 11561)
Cheap bastard method:
You can unhook the hose at the valve cover plate, stick an appropriate sized rubber cork in the pipe opening, and slide the hose back on. Done. :D

Dam... I love a quick fix :)

NOrrTH 10-12-2005 10:58 AM

Thats what I did

inderocker 10-12-2005 07:45 PM

i took a small piece of a small rubber hose, pushed it inside the opening and then put a bolt in that hose... kind of like a bar end.... works really well.

102dals 10-27-2005 08:05 AM

You don't have to even remove hoses, just flip the reeds over.
You can plug the cover holes, with caps from AutoZone (about $4).
Then plug the airbox hole with another cap.
Easy. It takes about 5min extra if the carbs are exposed.
There's a thread with pics around somewhere on the Forum.

Dutch 11-03-2005 06:06 PM

I haven't found the plates on the Two Bros site. Anyone have a link? I blocked mine with radiator block-off caps from the auto store but the heat and exposure seems to wear the caps out pretty quickly; cracks etc. Thanks.

CNI Dawg 11-03-2005 09:09 PM

I got a set of RC51 PAIR valve block off plates from Kyle Racing. (thanks drrty ! )
They fit & work perfectly ! (and are anodized black)
$22.00
Here's the link to them
http://www.kyleusa.com/catalog/smog_...tes_728426.htm

It's an easy change out. Use the stock bolts.
There is a rubber type gasket that stays on the bike when you remove the PAIR valve.
It will seal the block off plate when you tighten it down.

RonVTR 01-18-2006 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an other site... MOTOBITS http://www.motobits.com/
I purchased a pair through MotoInternational (follow the link at the bottom of the page) for $20. I have not installed them yet, but don't expect any problems.

SillyHawk 09-10-2006 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK from this pic does it mean the system is still functional? if so is it as easy as taking that tube off and buying a new plate to cover it up?

are there any real benefits to removing this PAIR system other than eliminating popping when i roll off the throttle?

EngineNoO9 09-10-2006 12:49 AM

yours is still enabled. you can disable it without getting block offs though block offs just clean up the look of everything. advantages? beats me but any emissions device to me isn't needed. heh

SillyHawk 09-10-2006 01:01 AM

it doesnt have any adverse affects does it? i agree with the emmisions crap but if it is doing something decent for the engine i will leave it. you removed yours?

i assume you removed the whole system and blocked off both ends. is it THAT easy...just take the whole thing out and your done?

maybe it will help with my exhaust popping

EngineNoO9 09-10-2006 01:02 AM

heh I haven't done block offs and haven't capped the holes in the air box yet.... i took it off like 2 months ago. Now that it's been getting colder i really need to take it apart and plug the holes

SillyHawk 09-10-2006 01:05 AM

Ok but it is a pretty easy thing to do wouldnt ya say? just remove the airbox and take the system off and pull out all the tubes and cap of with those plates. sounds like an hour project maybe...i dont have the plates yet but maybe i will use something else for now. what did you use as a temporary fix?

EngineNoO9 09-10-2006 01:11 AM

i flipped the reeds initially so they can't open up. look under knowledge base. it's all there

Radiaoktiv 09-10-2006 11:03 AM

ive seen them on Ebay as well
just in case anyone is looking for plates

SillyHawk 09-10-2006 03:05 PM

OK i did the PAIR removal and block off thingy today and even tried out the Flapper removal (Didnt do or sound any diffrent so i put if back on)

I did the removal of the PAIR without tanking the tank off...little tricky but so am i!! bought some caps from Pepboys to seal everything that needed sealing.

dropped a screw down on the engine....DAMN. not too worry i bought the best tool ever. one of those telescoping magnet things. Sweet!!

took it out for a spin and it was idling like crap, kept stalling out...is this normal?

pulled over and adjusted the idle screw knob back up to 1300rpm and it seems to be working fine for now, but there is a noticable gasoline type smell which i can only assume was what the PAIR system helped to prevent. i checked all the breather tubes and gas lines and they are all hooked up and doing their jobs.

SillyHawk 09-10-2006 05:48 PM

OK all you people online and not one of ya has had this problem? or any PAIR system removal problems?

SillyHawk 09-11-2006 07:30 PM

HELLO??? i just need to know if anyone else has gone through the problems of rough indling and a funny gas type smell after the completly removed the PAIR?

selztoad 09-11-2006 07:32 PM

what all did you take off besides the plates>"?? any hoses

SillyHawk 09-11-2006 07:37 PM

yeah i took off everything related to the PAIR system...and plugged all the remaining holes or tubes as directed

Hawkrider 09-11-2006 07:40 PM

SillyHawk,

Did you happen to follow the instructions on my site?

SillyHawk 09-11-2006 07:42 PM

yes i did...printed them out and gave it a try

Hawkrider 09-11-2006 07:43 PM

You sure you capped all the nipples? hehe, I said "nipples", hehe

SillyHawk 09-11-2006 07:51 PM

haha yeah i did...one hole in the bottom of the airbox....the front pair plate...the rear pair plate...and that vacuum hose left over after the whole system is gone. did i miss anything?