SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   open pipes (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/open-pipes-10692/)

vtrj 03-05-2007 04:35 AM

open pipes

Anybody on this site run open pipes? I want to have some customs made, i run vance and hines now and their loud enough that people think there open but i want the real thing.

bkelsey 03-05-2007 06:08 AM

Mark down Uxbridge, MA as another place I never have to visit.

RPV-Hawk 03-05-2007 12:12 PM

I had a set of D&D Race pipes (header and 2 straight thru megaphone mufflers). It was so god aweful loud, I was setting off car alarms half a block away.

If you want to be the most obnoxious guy in a 100+ mile radius...go for it. But I i'm fairly sure you'll get tired of the volume level and want to revert to some form of muffled exhaust. Or not, your choice. I would say that earplugs are mandatory while riding, or you'll go deaf in short order.:shock:

Darkone22 03-05-2007 12:56 PM

Yeah its going to be really loud. The only prob that u will have if u do like them is the police. I run Two brother racing and there loud enough.

L8RGYZ 03-05-2007 02:31 PM

When i replaced my stock exhaust i started it up a few times with no exhaust just to see what it was like.

EXTREMELY LOUD!

Cool, in a way, but unbearable for any length of time. I would compare it to a Nextel Cup car. Way too obnoxious for the street...you will be stopped by every cop...neighbors will vandalize your car, home, etc... and you will deserve it!

sprhawk neil 03-05-2007 02:57 PM

if you were my neighbor I'd give your bike this:flamethrower: just kidding but it will be to loud

Darkone22 03-05-2007 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by sprhawk neil (Post 43547)
if you were my neighbor I'd give your bike this:flamethrower: just kidding but it will be to loud

Oh yeah and i would not be able to ride with u :noevil:

Scooberhawk 03-05-2007 04:44 PM

I guess that means no. No one runs open pipes. Quite the civilized bunch, we are.

Hawkrider 03-05-2007 06:26 PM

Civilized probably isn't the word for it. Try....sane.

RPV-Hawk 03-06-2007 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 43593)
Civilized probably isn't the word for it. Try....sane.

Naw, we just value our hearing, and the hearing of our friends/neighbors!:oops:

vtrj 03-07-2007 04:02 AM

Alright alright just an idea, i already set of every alarm i go by now but the vance and hines have a great deep bark with it's hollow coffee can pipes. Really didn't want to put them back on cause there scrathed to shit from the 90mph crash in november. Anyone know where i can get another set cheap.

vtrgeoff 03-07-2007 04:11 AM

Which V&H?

SS2 or S4?

Both sides?

G

vtrgeoff 03-07-2007 04:17 AM

BTW When I was searching for the 'right' exhaust for my 'Storm I tried out a pair of Bub Conti replicas that I had used on my Guzzi. Beautiful pipes.

But loud? When I fired it up I thought I was in a NASCAR pit at Daytona.

I felt like I was riding around naked. EVERYBODY was staring at me.

I put the OEM cans back on...but only because my ears were bleeding.

I settled on a set of V&H S4 cans.....still a tad too loud, but such a wonderful noise.

G

Zedicus 03-09-2007 09:11 AM

you guys need to mark garden city KS on places to never visit. my D&D's sound QUIET compared to most the other stuff running around this town. punk kids on litre bikes with no baffles riding around at 15,000 rpm in first gear. and all the redneck trucks and the harley guys with 2 foot of tubing and no baffle/mffler/cone or anything at all... i can be sitting on my bike and not hear it over most of the other noise in this town.

Birdoprey 03-09-2007 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by vtrj (Post 43762)
Alright alright just an idea, i already set of every alarm i go by now but the vance and hines have a great deep bark with it's hollow coffee can pipes. Really didn't want to put them back on cause there scrathed to shit from the 90mph crash in november. Anyone know where i can get another set cheap.

you want to sell the damaged ones? got photos of damage? hi or low mounts? (I really want slip-ons but can't afford them, can you tell?):cry:

nuhawk 03-09-2007 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk (Post 43566)
I guess that means no. No one runs open pipes. Quite the civilized bunch, we are.

Like L8TRGYZ, when we fitted the new exhaust on the VFR we started it with only the flange pipe in place. Be reminded that a 750-V4 is NOT a Liter Twin! It didn't sound too bad and we were taking the bike to the shop the next day to build the mid-pipe and mount the D&D so we thought :wtf1:

We loaded up and took off on a through town blast that almost had my ears aching by the time we got back. After we got the D&D mounted it was a little softer but people will not ride behind me. It's ok when you're just cruising but if you roll into it hard it sounds like a racecar. I guess now that I'm riding it instead of the VTR for this summer I better do something about that. :mrgreen:

call me phil 03-10-2007 04:47 PM

open pipes too loud? thats ashame!
VTRJ, where in uxbridge u from? you may have heard my bike last fall riding up and down by the dam with my open pipes. i have a complete m-4 race exhaust with equal front and rear headers and straight through cans. then i decided to take the cans off and install chrome downdrafts. and yes, it was loud enough to encourage local police to stop and ask me many questions. i now have my cans back in place.

Galaxieman 03-10-2007 06:16 PM

I've got the rear baffles cut completely out of my stockers, and the 2nd and 3rd baffles drilled. Not quite the sweet tone of Leo Vinces or V&H, but almost. And all the volume. I always ride with earplugs. Still not even close to as loud as when I fired it up w/o the right pipe installed after I ground out the pipe weld occlusion in that side of the header. Not by a damn sight. Straight might be cool for the track, but no where near the street.

Speed_Demon 03-11-2007 04:10 AM

I ran open pipes at the drags and it helps a lot. It doesn't do much for peak dyno numbers but it beefs up the powerband and makes for better response. Not too good for the exhaust valves though.