SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   ok heres the skinny (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/ok-heres-skinny-34625/)

menace 07-11-2017 06:31 AM

ok heres the skinny

hello fellow freaks and geeks
so I bought a superhawk sunday it was a good ride. I took it out had put about 150 miles on it was fun. so i changed the oil added a little bit of race fuel to it and i fixed the oil leak on the rear manual cam chain tensioner. now my results are no oil leak and a really bad cut out at 5000 and another cut out at 7500 hundered when it wants to hit the power band the most. the harder i rack it the worse it is. the less i open the throttle better the response is. i put half a qt of 110 with 4 gallons of 91 so i didn't think it would hurt it. so that leaves me with three possible things. the hot hard ride home i had fried the spark plugs cause they look shitty as in the tips warn down a bit. i set the cam timing off. i will be doing a compression check to make sure that my valves on the rear cylinder are not bent.anything i should know b4 i fuck this thing up any further i recently read that this things compression ratio on this thing is pretty week so i am guessing i could of foiled the plugs with the race fuel i used. god i hope that's it. i would think that the timing is off or the valve is bent if the thing starts great idles good and runs hard just falls on its face at the beginning and end of the power band....well any tips would help. thanks

smokinjoe73 07-11-2017 08:34 AM

Did you remove the gas tank?

menace 07-11-2017 10:50 AM

&*^*

no i had not removed the fuel tank but i did hear a bit of noise when i started it after putting the tensioner in i shut it down gave it another full turn and it went away. i think jumped a tooth on the cam timing. i am going to pull the valve covers tonight and check the timing. i work at a bike shop in sales so i went and talked to some of the techs. now i have the thing in a million pieces tank is off and the works. its not a pinched line or anything. i ordered a set of reed block off plates since i found oil in the air box from pressure blow by. so will i have to worry about excess pressure building and spilling out? on my four cylinder bikes i just put a case breather filter on it. how would i go about it on this machine. the reed block off threads i have see do not explain this very well.
sorry if i jump around a bit.

Wicky 07-11-2017 11:55 AM

Did you set the timing before undoing the MCCT?

If you didn't then yes there's a good chance the timing is FUBAR. Best find instructions here on installing MCCTs with close attention to the timing aspect.

menace 07-11-2017 01:47 PM

!@##$

well to be honest i totally got in a hurry and it got the better of me. i went to take out the center inspection cap on the pulsator cover to turn the motor over and it stripped out then i was just like fuck it so i removed the manual tensioner fixed the leak and went on my way thats when i noticed my problem. so i learned my lesson. :loser: i love the smilies on here there almost as good as the zrx forums. i got the center cap out so now i can check my timing. got a load of shit on the way for gaskets and plugs and soo on. who on here is the parts hoarder every forum has one come on guys dont hold out on me. i need a stock head pipe the front one has a dent in it.
by the way the loser smile was for myself haha

Wicky 07-11-2017 03:38 PM

As you've found, you can get away with pulling a tensioner on an IL4 - but on the V2 there aren't enough extra cyclinders taking up the slack...

Add to your list the download Honda Factory Service Manual PDF for the VTR1000F searchable etc.

menace 07-11-2017 05:19 PM

lucky me

lucky me that the bike came with a service manual. thanks for all the input today much appreciated. its a 100 degrees in my garage this should be fun...

menace 07-11-2017 11:01 PM

this sucks

this is by far the most complicated setup i have ever fucked with uhhhh. i couldn't imagine being an Aprilia tech i would probably flip out. not having the best of luck with the cam time but i will get it sorted by tomorrow more worried out this reed block off setup there is hoses everywhere... most of the stuff i have and have had i deleted the air box or was fuel injected :noob:

menace 07-12-2017 09:53 PM

got the cam timing set. got the gasket surfaces prepped... deleted the pair valve blocked all the vent holes in the air box except for the ones that are tied to the vent tubes on the carbs. got my psr block offs. waiting on all my new gaskets from Honda and for my factory 4+ advancer plate. was reading about the rear end suspension seizure problem. is there anything that I can do to prevent this? I looked quickly but didn't see any grease points. other than taking the whole thing apart. looking some easy horse power mods. I know lightening up the whole bike would help but I don't really wanna ditch much else.

Wolverine 07-13-2017 04:13 AM

Have Erik lighten your flywheel.

CrankenFine 07-13-2017 05:30 AM

Wow. Nothing like diving in head first...
Glad you dug yourself back out of that hole.

I'd like to say I've never done anything like that myself. I'd really like to be able to say that...��

Oh, BTW, Welcome to the forum!

menace 07-13-2017 06:22 AM

thanks for the tips guys and the positive reinforcement I enjoy doing this stuff just never on a vtwin that wasn't a victory or antique farm equipment like a Harley which I guess I never had to mess with the cams now that I think about it .