SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   oil leaking from filler cap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/oil-leaking-filler-cap-28257/)

aja 05-11-2012 12:36 PM

oil leaking from filler cap

I changed my oil two days ago and noticed a fair amount of oil leaking from the filler cap after riding. The o ring is in great shape and seated, cap obviously tight. What I did notice when I changed the oil and filter was that it took about 4.7 quarts to get a proper reading in the sight glass, when the manual calls for 4.1 quarts. Would half a quart cause it to over flow from the cap?

thetophatflash 05-11-2012 12:41 PM

Did it leak before the "laying on of hands" ?

saige 05-11-2012 12:42 PM

it just means you didnt give the oil time to Settle,you have to take oil out and than set it at its mark.

aja 05-11-2012 01:28 PM

It didn't leak before

What I did was drain, change filter, refill with 4 quarts, started and let warm up. level was right below lower mark, so I put in a little more, waiting 5 minutes, and checked again. I did that a few times until I got it right below the top line, but maybe I didn't give it enough time to settle.

4.1 is max for a change, I always tilt it onto the side stand to drain as much as possible so I figured I may have for a little extra out. Seems like I put too much in, its just weird it would leak from the cap.

CrankenFine 05-11-2012 02:53 PM

So is this overpressurizing the crankcase from the increased oil volume? (downward motion of pistons increasing crankcase pressure)
I am thinking the filler is at the top of the case so there must be a significant atmospheric pressure increase to blow oil past the o-ring. (since liquids don't compress)

Spoot 05-11-2012 07:24 PM

I have weeping at the filler cap, also. after each session at the track, I had to wipe a tiny amount off the cover.

I'll buy a new filler cap & o-ring.
I heard someone suggest to wrap the threads with Teflon tape....?

smokinjoe73 05-11-2012 08:25 PM

Did you check the oil with the bike on the sidestand? Thats what it sounds like. You check it with the bike plumb (balanced up & down). There should no way be pressure on the filler plug, and oil doesnt need time to "settle" unless its -25F.

aja 05-11-2012 09:33 PM

Nope, I know what I'm doing. I double checked the level again and its still between the lines, but I'm still getting a small drop after 30 minutes. O ring shows no cuts or flaws and is not dried out or loose.

Wouldn't excess oil be expelled via the crank case breathers?

Onomea 05-12-2012 02:22 AM

I use a small bubble level on the gas tank cover to be sure it is level when I check
my oil level. It does take some time for it to settle(oil). I have about 67k on my bike
and I have never had it leak from the filler cap. Maybe a drop or so. 4.7qts. seems a
bit much. Though I am using the factory oil filter on mine. If you are using a larger
capacity oil fitler it could use more to fill.