SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   oil capacity? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/oil-capacity-10512/)

oicdn 02-09-2007 06:23 PM

oil capacity?

How many quarts of oil when doing an oil change? I'm about to change oil on one and there's no manual, and I can't remember how many I needed....how many quarts will I need?

Thanks!

Chitownson 02-09-2007 08:41 PM

oil capacity

The Honda shop manual says 4.1 US quarts with a filter change. Just FYI, I dropped the oil pan to clean the pan and oil strainer once and it took 5.5 quarts to get the oil in the inspection window to a decent level. (P.S. -if you don't have a shop manual, I got mine off e-bay for $20 - worth every penney!)

nuhawk 02-09-2007 09:10 PM

There's a shop manual here on the forum free for download.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=3673

Fifteenth item down from the top in the first post. When you get to the link, the little picture is of an aftermarket manual but the download is the real thing from Honda.

oicdn 02-11-2007 04:17 PM

I only managed to squeeze in 3.75 quarts in there, and the oil level was to the top line....wierd...

marmaladedad 02-11-2007 11:30 PM

5.5 is a LOT of oil. If the bike is on its sidestand, then yes, it's possible to put in that much.

Remember, the bike is supposed to be standing straight when you pour the oil in.

I usually get about 3.7 quarts. A little bit more when changing the oil filter.

marmaladedad 02-11-2007 11:56 PM

On a related note, a racer I spoke with said his bikes are run regularly with low amounts of engine oil (about two quarts). Supposedly it helps the bike accelerate...fast...er....??? :|

bkelsey 02-12-2007 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY (Post 41647)
I just checked and my kickstart on the left, oil sight glass on the right. Did they change it?

You are the man if you can kickstart that thing, on the left even ;)

Kickstand left, sight glass on the right for me too. Hence, when it's on the kickstand and left of straight up and down, you would need to put more oil into it to read on the sight glass.

About 4 qts. without a filter change and a little over 4 qts. with a fiter change for me.

SuperHawkins 02-12-2007 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 41662)
too funny, i guess mine didn't come with a kick start, i sure would hate to kick this 996 cc best over with my leg.

Ohhh the pain, thank goodness for the button....

Lol I found out the hard way that these bikes are nearly impossible to even push-start....damn thing would just crank over once and then lock up the back tire....had to pull it with another bike and pop the clutch at around 20 mph and it BARELY started

Birdoprey 02-12-2007 06:28 PM

first: DUH!!
second: mine kicked back while starting once and nearly broke my thumb.
third: when bump starting it helps to try it in second or third gear.

Hawkrider 02-12-2007 06:44 PM

Arrrrg! I hate being wrong :oops: , but don't mind admitting it. Marm is correct. Sorry about the confusion. :banghead: I think I will delete some posts to get rid of the evidence.:twisted:

SuperHawkins 02-12-2007 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY (Post 41706)
first: DUH!!
second: mine kicked back while starting once and nearly broke my thumb.
third: when bump starting it helps to try it in second or third gear.

Tried it in 2nd with the same results... The bike was having electrical issues that day so it didn't want to fire, and once it did get started it made it a few miles down the road and completely died (bad connections at the battery)

And yeah with a filter change, mine took one of those 4 quart...or 4 liter...whatever it was...jugs of Spectro and was right at the perfect level....made it much easier to fill up since my sight-glass has a thin layer of spraypaint over it so you can BARELY see through it :-x

Randman 02-12-2007 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 41711)
Arrrrg! I hate being wrong :oops: , but don't mind admitting it. Marm is correct. Sorry about the confusion. :banghead: I think I will delete some posts to get rid of the evidence.:twisted:

We all know the truth....it is out there...................

marmaladedad 02-12-2007 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 41711)

I thought I was trippin' last night!

Hawkrider 02-13-2007 10:54 AM

No, it was me that was trippin. Too little time with the bikes during these loooooong NY winters isn't good on this hobby/passion of motorcycling. Damn, I wonder how rusty I'll be riding in the spring...

Scooberhawk 02-13-2007 08:59 PM

..and the conversation continues about non-existing posts..

Greg, why don't you also delete the posts that refer to you being wrong, and destroy all the evidence?

Hawkrider 02-13-2007 10:02 PM

It's more fun this way. :nana:

Scooberhawk 02-14-2007 04:02 AM

Touche!

fundgh 02-21-2007 02:34 PM

Yeah, the 4Q container (1 Gallon) is 3.7... Litres. The Haynes calls for 3.9L IIRC. I am looking for .2L of Max. Oil...anyone, anyone?! Why couldn't they make the capacity 1 Gallon, for US bikes? The world does revolve around North America doesn't it?

roisman 02-27-2007 08:43 PM

when checking the level of the engine oil at the sight glass, should the engine be idling or turned off? because I notice that the level drops once you've started the engine.

Birdoprey 02-27-2007 08:57 PM

with the engine shut off for at least a few minutes to let the oil settle.

Randman 02-28-2007 05:38 AM

So if you hold your breath while changing the oil, and if the sun is in the east even thought the day is done, will the front tire feel the pain of not having the right type of oil in the bike? Just wondering...

I drain the oil, change the filter every time (way to cheap not to) add 3.5 quarts, crank her up and run for 3-5 mins, shut off wait 2-3 mins then check level (while balancing her straight up and down with one had, kneeling PITA) usually have to add about .3 to .4 more....for a grand total of 3.8 to3.9 quarts of synthetic Mobil 1 Gold Cap 15w50....(maybe that will kick off another what kind of oil do you guys use thread?) LOL.....

Hawkrider 02-28-2007 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996 (Post 43041)
...for a grand total of 3.8 to3.9 quarts of synthetic Mobil 1 Gold Cap 15w50....(maybe that will kick off another what kind of oil do you guys use thread?) LOL.....

Be forewarned, I will lock this thread like Fort Knox if it turns into one of these! :modownz: :postwhore:

roisman 02-28-2007 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY (Post 43023)
with the engine shut off for at least a few minutes to let the oil settle.

Thanks!!