SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Oil in Airbox? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/oil-airbox-6203/)

mamisano 06-24-2004 09:17 AM

Oil in Airbox?

Just replaced my Air Filter and Plugs for the 1st time last week. Bike has 16,500 miles on it. When I pulled the filter, noticed there was some oil in the bottom of the housing, on the right side. Some time ago I performed the PAIR mod by removing the valves and replacing them upside-down. Does this have something to do with it or is it normal for the oil to be there?

NeoViper 06-24-2004 05:36 PM

I have had the VTR for 2 years now, and the whole time it has been rarely at low throttle blips backfiring through the carbs, or blowby it is called. I cleaned it the other day, all the oil it is not a lot, almost like someone put a little on a rag and made a oil residue on a small spot just to the front of the filter...

after cleaning it, I put it all back together and took it for a ride to warm it, then I blipped the throttle in my drive way till it spit... then I took the airbox back apart and there was a small spray of oil....

if that is happening to you, I have heard that sync'ing the carbs will help with the blowback... thus removing the oil...

any comments?

Neo out.

Jabba 06-25-2004 06:35 AM

I have found out that if I do a number of wheelies I end up with oil in the air box.

Otherwise think it is just a bit of blowby.

Cheers!

thump 08-18-2004 11:59 AM

Re: Oil in Airbox?

Well, the cylinder head cover breathers both flow into the airbox, so some oil mist is introduced through those.

I've also noticed a little oil in my airbox, even when I've removed it the prior time, but it's just a trace and has never given me cause for concern.

Random 08-18-2004 04:28 PM

a tad bit of oil is nothing to get your panties in a twist over. The valve cover breathers vent to the airbox, so that's normal.

If your airbox ends up COATED in oil, then yeah, you've got "issues" that need to be fixed/addressed.

thump 08-18-2004 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Random";p=&quot (Post 874)
If your airbox ends up COATED in oil, then yeah, you've got "issues" that need to be fixed/addressed.

Usually caused by overfilling the oil.

Rollingalong 02-16-2005 07:03 AM

I prefer to block the PAIR off under the valve cover with a pipe fitting .

That way there is no chance of exhaust gas leaking into the crankcase giving excessive crankcase pressures and jacking with the motor oil . A guy might think about putting a washer under and on top of that rubber seal around the dowel that locates into the valve cover to tighten up the seal when turning the PAIR plate around .

Another way is if the engine is apart for mods , weld up the hole in the exhaust port bowl on each head and blend with a die grinder . Thats what I did .

Of course overkill if the motors not already tore down