SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   OEM Brake Rotor Thickness (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/oem-brake-rotor-thickness-29846/)

WhOrD 02-15-2013 10:05 AM

OEM Brake Rotor Thickness

Hi Everyone,

1. I used the search function first!

I purchased a used set of OEM brake rotors (front) to replace my current set which has one warped rotor.

I confirmed the set I purchased were off the same bike and that they were tested for any warping.

One of the replacement used OEM rotors has a thickness of 4.40 the other 4.50.

Question:
1. What is the thickness of a new OEM rotor for our bike (front)?
2. Why would one used rotor have less thickness than the other? I would imagine with proper care and brake pad replacement both should wear evenly.
3. What is the range our rotors can vary in thickness before they are considered out of spec.

Thank you,

E.Marquez 02-15-2013 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhOrD (Post 349432)
Hi Everyone,

1. I used the search function first!

I purchased a used set of OEM brake rotors (front) to replace my current set which has one warped rotor.

I confirmed the set I purchased were off the same bike and that they were tested for any warping.

One of the replacement used OEM rotors has a thickness of 4.40 the other 4.50.

Question:
1. What is the thickness of a new OEM rotor for our bike (front)?
2. Why would one used rotor have less thickness than the other? I would imagine with proper care and brake pad replacement both should wear evenly.
3. What is the range our rotors can vary in thickness before they are considered out of spec.

Thank you,

Download the service manual,,, info like this is there for your use.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ledge-base-40/

Disk thickness spec is 4.4-4.6 mm
Service limit is 3.5mm

Your measured spec of 4.4 and 4.5 mm is in line with what is expected and not an issue at all in of it self. Surface condition, and run out is what you need to be concerned with.

WhOrD 02-15-2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 349433)
Download the service manual,,, info like this is there for your use.
Knowledge Base - SuperHawk Forum

Disk thickness spec is 4.4-4.6 mm
Service limit is 3.5mm

Your measured spec of 4.4 and 4.5 mm is in line with what is expected and not an issue at all in of it self. Surface condition, and run out is what you need to be concerned with.

Thank you for the info!

1. The seller verified the bakes have no run-out. I'll know for sure once I get them on the bike, regardless they cant be as bad as the current rotors..I have no idea how the previous owner accomplished it but the front brakes go wob wob wob wob when engaged and literally rock me like a bull when approaching stop lights / signs...engaging at freeway speed is like an industrial powered vibrator!!! (Not that I would know what an industrial powered vibrator feels like)...

...I'll report back when I get them on this weekend!

Thank you again,

E.Marquez 02-15-2013 02:35 PM

Disk lock left in place when leaving the parking lot is a common way to bend a rotor. Dropping a wheel when off the bike is another. Hitting a curb or large rock yet another I have seen. No matter, get them new ones on and see how it goes.

WhOrD 02-15-2013 02:43 PM

I mean no offense, but the previous owner was a 5'6 Chinese fellow. He states he was working on the bike when he caused it to fall over in the drive way...The scratching along the housing confirms this. There was minor scratching on the mirror but the exhaust and exhaust mounting is perfect.

I would gather the drop may have caused a bend in one of the rotors.

For the price I purchased the bike for ($2500) (24k miles) That was the only issue. Even the Auto CCT were replaced by another set of Honda OEM Auto CCT just 2 months ago. (1998 bike). However I know Manual CCT is the best way to go.

These bikes are getting old, not many other V Twin sport bikes to choose from. I'll easily spend the money to keep the S. Hawk alive....already in it 2500 + ~ 2000 for paint parts etc....almost done though!