SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Noobie maintenance questions. Help please! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/noobie-maintenance-questions-help-please-25588/)

Gtrain00 05-16-2011 06:20 PM

Noobie maintenance questions. Help please!

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 SH that I cant wait to ride this summer, but as i think about getting it out for the summer, i feel bad for the neglect that it has been shown. It runs fine as it is now but i dont even know where to begin with preparing it to ride. So far here is what i am aware that i need to do:

Clean and lube the chain. (What should i use to do this?)
New oil filter
New oil
New air filter
Brake fluid
Spark plugs
Possibly rejet the carbs? ( how crucial is this?)

I would like to do this myself (other than rejetting the carbs) . Am i missing anything? Tires are good.

Any input would be appreciated, and sorry to ask such a novice question.

RWhisen 05-16-2011 07:27 PM

We need a little history on the bike. How many miles? Last time it was ridden? Where are you located, perhaps someone can swing by and show you the ropes?

VTRsurfer 05-16-2011 09:53 PM

Everything you listed is basic maintenance, except for the carb rejetting. But you left out coolant drain and fill.

You can download the service manual to check the service intervals on each job. I.E.: brake fluid and coolant should be replaced every 2 years.

As for the carb rejet... how does it run? If it responds crisply throughout the rev range, with no flat spots, and idles well, why worry about it?

So, if you don't know the service history, do the maintenance items then go out and enjoy the torque.:D

And as for the chain: If you don't have any experience with chain and sprocket maintenance/inspection, it would be best to find someone with knowledge to take a first hand look at it. A badly worn chain and sprocket can be dangerous. There are a number of tutorials on chain maintenance on YouTube, as well as on this forum. Just watch your fingers. There are horror stories related to chain maintenance.:shock:

7moore7 05-16-2011 11:04 PM

http://www.superhawk996.net/Honda_VT...ice_Manual.pdf

ninjagoalie 05-17-2011 06:30 AM

if it hasnt been ridden in a while, be sure to check tire pressure. Very important after sitting for long periods.

8541Hawk 05-17-2011 11:10 AM

As you really don't know the history of the bike you might want to install a new set of CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioners) either manual units or a set of autos, whichever you are most comfortable installing (or paying to have installed) it would also be a good time to check the valve lash while you are in there.

Old Yeller 05-17-2011 12:34 PM

clutch fluid along with the brake fluid.

Carb cleaning perhaps, but not jetting.

AK Ronin 05-17-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ninjagoalie (Post 303041)
if it hasnt been ridden in a while, be sure to check tire pressure. Very important after sitting for long periods.

You actually should be checking your tire pressure almost every other time you go and ride. I always keep a gauge in my pocket. A low tire will inhibit you and be more dangerous than anything else on the bike.

The only reason you should rejet the carbs is if you want more performance or it is currently running like garbage. At the most, all you should have to do is a little cleaning.

As far as an air filter is concerned, DO NOT purchase a K&N air filter for your bike.

PUSHrod 05-17-2011 02:59 PM

In the category of free or real cheap. . .

Measure the charging voltage of the bike to spot an R/R problem before it bites you.
Pull the battery and have it load tested down at the parts store. Same reason.
Pop the calipers off and measure the pad thickness. Worn out pads that grind away on the rotor get the best of a budget.

Oh, and that K&N air filter you were told not to get? Installing one produces a need to re-jet and/or dyno tune.

And the blinker fluid! Never forget to check the blinker fluid.

fred 05-17-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by PUSHrod (Post 303093)
In the category of free or real cheap. . .
And the blinker fluid! Never forget to check the blinker fluid.

i'll second that. i forgot to check mine for a long time and last week it turned out to be bone-dry.

did someone mention carb-sync? and. if your blinker fluid is low, you may also have an ornery turn-signal switch. if so, pop it open and clean out the crud with something... maybe kerosine, dry it off and apply a nice new dose of dielectric grease. yeah!

--fred

nuhawk 05-17-2011 07:31 PM

Great suggestions but the most common newbie mistake is running out of gas. This beast is unforgiving at the pump. Pack it full and do it often.

fred 05-17-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 303120)
Great suggestions but the most common newbie mistake is running out of gas. This beast is unforgiving at the pump. Pack it full and do it often.

it is a beast. those 48mm carbs suck fuel like there's no tomorrow. although, if you do want to get decent mileage, try not to run it up to read-line at every given opportunity. 'not an easy thing not to do. riding in the rain whenever possible is the best way i've found to help increase fuel economy.

VTRsurfer 05-17-2011 10:09 PM

And don't forget to lube the muffler bearings.;)

7moore7 05-17-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 303133)
And don't forget to lube the muffler bearings.;)

Isn't there a clutch belt that you have to check at 88 mph too?

CrankenFine 05-18-2011 03:48 AM

Starting to look like the post whoring thread :popcorn:

Gtrain00 05-18-2011 01:24 PM

hahaha.. i appreciate the serious help and suggestions.. and i guess the not so serious suggestions :D. The bike has a Kn+n air filter now. I am not going to rejet the carbs. I just want it to run smooth ( which it does surprisingly well even after this unfortunate neglect). As for now im probably just going to put new oil in it, a bmc air filter, and a oil filter.

- Bike has 23k on it, but has been well maintained. I have had it for a year and a half and probably put 1.5k miles on it ( havent had a ton of time to ride, but this summer hope to get way more serious)

7moore7 05-18-2011 02:07 PM

If you're taking the carbs off to clean them, you may want to look into adjusting the TPS- it smooths the ride out a little bit. Just a bit beyond general maintenance, but pretty easy to do.

fred 05-18-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 303137)
Isn't there a clutch belt that you have to check at 88 mph too?

yeah. that's probably the toughest service item on the Superhawk. needing to check this belt regularly while traveling at 88 mph keeps the number of SH riders at a manageable level.