SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   No High Beam??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/no-high-beam-9432/)

dan 08-28-2006 09:35 PM

No High Beam???

Guys/Gals,

Riding along casually the other night when all of a sudden my high beam just cut out but low beam still worked, thinking it was the bulb I changed it the next day and the same thing it worked for all of 5 seconds, so I took the switch block apart thinking it was dirty contacts and cleaned all contacts thoroughly and still no high beam, does anyone have any suggestions as the next step will be to take it to a bike shop

Thanks in advance

Dan

99Hawk 08-29-2006 04:55 AM

Dan
Have you used your multi-meter to check out the headlight socket? (engine off and engine on)...
The headlight circuit is rather simple.
I wonder if you have a reg/rect just starting to act up...

dan 08-29-2006 02:45 PM

Thank you 99 Hawk, because I am also noticing the lights get noticably dimmer when I apply the brakes or put the indicators on, I will keep and eye over the coming weeks

Cheers

Dan

Hawkrider 08-29-2006 04:00 PM

Oooh, doesn't sound good. Possibly another R/R failure? Check voltage at battery with bike off and with bike running. Bike off should be around 13VDC, and running about 14.5VDC.

iamanonymous 12-19-2006 08:39 PM

i have this exact same problem, but now it blows low beams too. started blowing igh beams last week. i have replaced 3 bulbs in four days....ideas? does this mean the rr is crap? also my gauges and headlights will go from bright to dim at random times for random intervals. bike runs perfect tho. help. sorry to resurrect thread, but i use search functions. sue me. :-D

Hawkrider 12-19-2006 08:43 PM

Good on ya for using the Search feature!!! Yeah, classic sign of failed R/R, sorry to say.

iamanonymous 12-26-2006 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 37546)
Good on ya for using the Search feature!!! Yeah, classic sign of failed R/R, sorry to say.

got a replacement. problem solved!

Radiaoktiv 12-27-2006 11:25 AM

did it work out for you?

problem solved?

Thumper 12-27-2006 12:58 PM

Guys replace the batteries often in the SuperHawk or risk the dreaded rr failure. I have decided to just replace my every three years regardless if it is having any issues or not. and by all means if your rr doesn't have a heat sink on it, put one on it soon.

iamanonymous 12-30-2006 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Radiaoktiv (Post 37944)
did it work out for you?

problem solved?

everything is cool, thanks. prop for u=+1

Dave Wicks 12-30-2006 08:04 PM

Duh question??

How do you put a heat sink on the rectifier??

Dave

shayne 12-31-2006 08:21 PM

Later model units (2001 onwards I think) have the heat sink built in.

You can fit one to an early unit by using special stuff to glue it on with, that helps transfer the heat. A computer component or electronics store should be able to help you out with what you need for the job. I have not done it myself as I had a later model RR, but I have seen it done. The guy also added a small fan to it to cool it down, but I think this is overkill. I am not aware of any later units with just heats sinks failing.