SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Newb With Some Issues (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/newb-some-issues-28647/)

BStix 06-26-2012 04:13 PM

Newb With Some Issues

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and had a few questions. Before I start, lets get the introductions out of the way. My name is Brian, 21 yrs old Texas breed. I just recently acquirred a 98 SH as my first bike (I know its probably a little more power than I need as a starter bike, but friend of a friend situation so I got it cheap.) It's completely naked. Didnt have speedo or lights. I bought a set of LED turn signals. They are two wire-one red, one blue. Which brings about my current issue. I've connected them red to color and blue to ground and nothing. I used a test light to test the colors coming from the bike, light blue and orange and neither are getting power. I've checked the fuses and all are good, what are some possible options that would explain my issues?

This is my first thread and with all of the knowledge that I've seen so far in this forum, I hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

saige 06-26-2012 04:21 PM

are you talking about front or rear signals,the green wire is ground,that is the common color for the gorund on the lights.
make sure key is on when testing lol,had to say it.
is there any cuts or splices into the wiring at all any where on the bike.this could lead to your problem and more if it is cut or spliced.
front turns are 3 wire.
do you or can you post pics of what you are talking about to get a better perspective.
was this ever a stunt or race bike etc etc.....
welcome to the site,there is a lot of knowledge on here,i will start with,once you get a couple of small issues taken care of,start with upgrading cct's and rectifier.
here is the link to the manual,its pdf file,you will need this.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-manual-11365/

aja 06-26-2012 04:55 PM

I would check the blinker relay. It is on the right side of the tail, under the fairing.

Try different plug-in combos with the blinkers if the relay checks out, the blinkers may be backwards.

BStix 06-26-2012 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok sorry should have worded that better. I am trying to hook up all four signals. I hooked up the red wires from the new signals to the orange and blue (from that I can tell from the wiring diagram, should be the "hot" wires) and then I hooked up the blue wires off the new signals to the grounds. For the front, I just hooked up the solid orange or blue and didnt mess with the other. I used the test light and it doesn't seem as though the blue or orange wires are getting power (thats with ignition and signal switch on.) I was trying to figure out the symptoms of the faulty relay, but would that cause the blue and orange wires to have no power? I'm trying to post pics so you can see what I am working with. Also the picture with the three wires are not connected (Im guessing those are for the brake light, but it works without those connected to anything so might just leave it) Also the brake light was upgraded to LED as well before I bought it, I dont know if it makes a difference with the wiring.

BStix 06-26-2012 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by saige (Post 336487)
are you talking about front or rear signals,the green wire is ground,that is the common color for the gorund on the lights.
make sure key is on when testing lol,had to say it.
is there any cuts or splices into the wiring at all any where on the bike.this could lead to your problem and more if it is cut or spliced.
front turns are 3 wire.
do you or can you post pics of what you are talking about to get a better perspective.
was this ever a stunt or race bike etc etc.....
welcome to the site,there is a lot of knowledge on here,i will start with,once you get a couple of small issues taken care of,start with upgrading cct's and rectifier.
here is the link to the manual,its pdf file,you will need this.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-manual-11365/

Ya I'm trying to see if there is a simple fix before I start cutting all the shrink wrap of the wires haha I couldn't tell you if it was a race/stunt (I'm guessing it is since they stripped it down.) Thanks for the pdf file, I downloaded it as soon as I bought the bike, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, more so with four wheels than two...

saige 06-26-2012 06:01 PM

hmmmmm,ok,i will look at my bike and see if i could get you the correct set up for right and left.
did you check the relay to see if its getting power or no good.
if its no good,i got one around here someplace,you could have it,just pay the shipping.
actually no,my relay will be no good for you,i just re-read your post,you have L.E.D. signals and the relay will not work with them.
when you hook up the light to the wire,turn the left or right turn button on,this will connect circuit and flash them.it should blink fast as if the bulb is out.the rear do not stay on like the front signals do.
if you have a cyclegear in your area,you can get a relay that works for L.E.D.,its 15 to 20 bucks.

E.Marquez 06-26-2012 06:02 PM

Welcome.. Where ya at in Texas?

mechanically inclined, more so with four wheels than two...
Well good, that should make things easier.

saige 06-26-2012 06:05 PM

also,check and make sure all plugs and sockets are plugged in thru out the wiring harness,they may have disconnected or cut them off which could explain no power to the wiring.
do all the wiring and plugs still exist in front of the bike where the upper stay goes.

saige 06-26-2012 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the best i could find from my archives,this shows you how the factory set up is.one green wire out to 2 wires=the ground.
orange and blue= positive
once you figure out the turn signals,than should be able to seperate the brake and running light for the rear.

BStix 06-26-2012 06:39 PM

Yes, all the plugs and sockets are all existing and connected. I just tested the plug that goes to the relay, the white seems to be the only one that has power (I don't know if the grey should but I know the green shouldn't being a ground.) I don't know how to test the relay itself so if you know please point me in the right direction. I don't think I need to mess with trying to mix and match the turn signal wires just yet (at least until I figure out why I'm not getting power back there.) What does the relay actually do? Send power to the signals or what? There are 3 cycle gears in my area so I might as well go grab one that works for LEDs but I just wanna know what the part does for future reference. Thanks

BStix 06-26-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 336494)
Welcome.. Where ya at in Texas?

Well good, that should make things easier.

I'm in Houston, just moved to the west side if you know the area.

saige 06-26-2012 07:01 PM

I dont know the specs of the relay,if you have a reader,that will work,but dont know the specs.it should be in the manual.
have you checked for power before the relay,to make sure power is going to the relay.
just make sure you put on the turn signal for left and right.for every test you do.
the white wire should be for your tag light.

saige 06-26-2012 07:03 PM

where is the blue or light blue wire.i dont see it.

aja 06-26-2012 07:06 PM

I take back my other post, first I would clean the switch and reapply some grease.

When I got my hawk the blinkers didnt work. I took the switch apart (3 screws) and cleaned it with alcohol and a q tip, then smeared some grease on the connections and it has worked since. Once in a while it doesnt, so I just clean it again and its good to go.

saige 06-26-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 336505)
I take back my other post, first I would clean the switch and reapply some grease.

When I got my hawk the blinkers didnt work. I took the switch apart (3 screws) and cleaned it with alcohol and a q tip, then smeared some grease on the connections and it has worked since. Once in a while it doesnt, so I just clean it again and its good to go.

yes,good point,once you clean it,work it thru a little,there might be a small delay at first,but clean and work it thru,and the delay in the blinking will get shorter and shorter.
if that is the or part of the problem.

BStix 06-26-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by saige (Post 336502)
I dont know the specs of the relay,if you have a reader,that will work,but dont know the specs.it should be in the manual.
have you checked for power before the relay,to make sure power is going to the relay.
just make sure you put on the turn signal for left and right.for every test you do.
the white wire should be for your tag light.

I checked the plug that gets plugged into the relay if thats what you mean. From what I could tell in the wiring diagram, the grey wire from the plug is for the turn signal switch correct? If so, shouldn't have power to it?Or does it act like the ground and not? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not an electrical guru. I've put a couple of systems in vehicles, but thats the extent of wiring I mess with :(

BStix 06-26-2012 07:21 PM

the blue wire is in the first picture I posted (the whitish one in the cluster.) The orange is also next to it. I think the green/black dashed and the brown are the stop or running lights for tail light. Ill clean the relay tomorrow and see how that works, thanks.

saige 06-26-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BStix (Post 336508)
the blue wire is in the first picture I posted (the whitish one in the cluster.) The orange is also next to it. I think the green/black dashed and the brown are the stop or running lights for tail light. Ill clean the relay tomorrow and see how that works, thanks.

dont just clean the contacts in the relay,clean the turn signal buttons and such too thats on the handle bar.
take it off and take it apart.its fairly easy,just take your time and clean it and grease it up good.

smokinjoe73 06-26-2012 07:56 PM

Also make sure the switchgear is plugged into the harness. Have you tried all 4 corners of turn sig wires? If you have a testlight you can use that as a blinker.

Also. LEDs are polarized so if you reverse + & - they wont work like a bulb will.

On these bikes it is 99% likely the handlebar switch. You can try spaying it with contact cleaner but most likely you gotta open and clean it or buy a fleabay replacement.

BStix 06-27-2012 05:52 PM

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I went ahead and bought the new relay and cleaned the switch before I tried it, so I dont know which one fixed my problem. Either way she works now and ya'll saved me a ton of extra headache from trying to trace down a splice or grounding. My thanks to all of you. As soon as my lights started flashing, the ups guy showed up with my new vapor gauge, hopefully it'll be less taxing than I think it will. Again many thanks guys.

Brian

smokinjoe73 06-27-2012 06:08 PM

Not sure what connections come with the vapor but on my new dash (cbr600) I got some identical plugs to the SH so I could always put a stocker back on. From these guys Corsa Technic Motorsport, Motorcycle Connectors

aja 06-27-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BStix (Post 336560)
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I went ahead and bought the new relay and cleaned the switch before I tried it, so I dont know which one fixed my problem. Either way she works now and ya'll saved me a ton of extra headache from trying to trace down a splice or grounding. My thanks to all of you. As soon as my lights started flashing, the ups guy showed up with my new vapor gauge, hopefully it'll be less taxing than I think it will. Again many thanks guys.

Brian

That'll be $89.99 for advice rendered.