SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   New R/R gone wrong (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/new-r-r-gone-wrong-34155/)

amhsraptor 09-10-2016 06:53 PM

New R/R gone wrong

Hello all,

Long time no post. In short I am trying to replace my old R/R with a new MOFSET R/R. Everything came out easily and was connecting the wires (yellow first, I feel like this was my downfall) and there was a pop and spark with the first wire. Probably should have connected the + and - first, but didn't consider this. The whole system is pretty much dead. I checked the battery and it has plenty of charge, but turn the key and nothing happens. All of the fuses look good so I'm hoping someone can offer insight as to what might be the issue. All Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in adavance.

-Brian A.

amhsraptor 09-10-2016 07:03 PM

I guess it has been a while and I can't recall if there are additional fuses or if anyone can give me an idea where to start trouble shooting. I'm hoping I didn't blow the whole electrical system.

CruxGNZ 09-10-2016 07:10 PM

The three yellow wires don't care which yellow is connected to which. As long as a yellow is connected to a yellow, it doesnt matter. The only way you could mess it up is with the power and ground. How is yours hooked up?

Does your ignition turn on? Or, does it not start? If the latter, there is a fuse on the bikes left side for the starter, across from the R/R.

E.Marquez 09-10-2016 07:12 PM

R/R has but 5 wires.
Three Yellow which have NO current through them unless the motor is running and then it would be AC volts.
A ground wire
A charge wire... the charge wire on the wiring harness side is hot if the battery is hooked up. The charge wire on the R/R side has no charge unless the motor is running.

So.... what wire did you do what to????

The spark happened when you connected what wire (colors please) to what wire?
Was the battery hooked up?

The main fuse is in the fuse box... One other fuses in the system is for the starter circuit ., no fuseable link wire in the harness..

Do you have voltage at the battery?

amhsraptor 09-10-2016 07:22 PM

I have the same voltage at the battery. Spark occurred when I went to connect the yellow wires. I started with the yellow leaving positive and negative till the end. The battery was still connected, stupid move on my part. As soon as I connected the first wire, yellow, it popped (saw a spark) and now there is no power anywhere to anything. Multimeter shows battery with a charge still, but when I turn the key nothing happens. I checked the main fuses by the battery, but it's been a while since I've done anything with the bike so no simple check is out of the question.

amhsraptor 09-10-2016 07:25 PM

30 Amp fuse is blown, CruxGNZ. But I don't understand how it just blew from that. Also don't know if anywhere is open to go buy a new one. I'd rather find out how this happened so I can make sure I didn't miss anything.

E.Marquez 09-10-2016 08:08 PM

Can you take and post a pic of the wires your talking about?
What your posting does not make sense with what I'm "seeing"
The three YELLOW stator to RR wires are not connected to the battery, or DC voltage at all. If the motor is off, they have NO current...IOW nothing to "spark"

You have three Yellow
One Green wire
One Red/white

Only the Red/white wire on the wiring harness side will have DC voltage unless the motor is running.

amhsraptor 09-10-2016 09:03 PM

That is the mystery. I replaced the 30 amp fuse and it's running just fine no problems at all. I have no idea how connecting one of the 3 yellow wires would cause a spark and ignition fuse to blow. A great mystery in my eyes as it defies everything! Like I said it's running like a champ now, just had a quick cruise. I really appreciate your help E Marquez, sorry I don't have the pics to show.

Meier Link 09-12-2016 08:06 AM

By chance when you were hooking up the yellow wires did you let the other wires tap against the frame of the bike?

The yellows would not blow the fuse with the bike not running as previously stated.

smokinjoe73 09-12-2016 09:40 PM

Is it just me or should someone mention to disconnect the battery when doing this? That may avoid some issues.

VTR1000F 09-13-2016 04:54 AM

And don't cross the streams.

Hangfly 09-13-2016 11:12 AM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...y0L2ylJ0OW9BJ1

smokinjoe73 09-14-2016 10:32 AM

What happens if we cross the streams?

Meier Link 09-14-2016 03:05 PM

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Fastguy59 09-14-2016 05:47 PM

Rule #1. Never ever leave your battery connected when performing wing harness work!

Fastguy59 09-14-2016 05:49 PM

That said I hope this works out in your favor!

smokinjoe73 09-14-2016 10:25 PM

Whoops? What's whoops?