SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   New Owner Discovering Super Hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/new-owner-discovering-super-hawk-34497/)

AlanS 04-30-2017 07:00 PM

New Owner Discovering Super Hawk

1 Attachment(s)
I've had my bike one week yesterday. So far...

I've confirmed that the CCTs are manual. The prior owner said they were.

He also told me the stock Regulator/Rectifier was replaced.

Yesterday I replaced the rear tire with a Bridgestone Battlax from Cycle Gear. With the mail-in rebate deal they've got going, the final price will be $168 (plus tax) for both tires. I've had these tires on other bikes, including a 'Busa, and they worked fine for me.

I ordered a K&P Engineering re-usable oil filter (S1) today. I've had very good luck with them on other bikes.

I've ordered GenMar bar risers.

I've ordered Cycle Pirate pegs (the lowering pivots and pegs). I also purchased a set of Buell Ulysses pegs (lower about 1") that I won't use. The Cycle Pirate stuff is bolt-on (according to the 'blurb'). The Buell pegs require some light fab.

I bought some calipers from a CBR9xx and a master cylinder from a similar bike (both reported in this forum to fit our bikes). Also new pads for both and braided steel lines. But I'm holding off on the upgrades. The stock brakes aren't bad. I imagine if you press them and heat them up is when they begin to become inadequate.

I am planning to do fork valving and springs with RaceTech. I'll ride it down to Corona and have them to it. I see there are some CBR upgrades, but I plan to keep the bike closer to stock.

I ordered a Corbin seat. I understand the Sargeant is the hot setup. But I'd ordered the Corbin as soon as I got home last Saturday. (My butt was tore-up from 292 miles). Also, our seats are out-of-production with Sargeant so it would have to be a used seat. I've got nothing against another man's (or woman's) butt-sweat. Butt... LOL.

I am Jonesing very badly for some BST wheels. I had a set on a Duc (ST/4) and they really made a difference in the way the bike felt, and performed. MotoWheels.com sells a set for $2995. Six weeks (or a little more lead time). I'd need a rear sprocket, too, but otherwise the BSTs are complete. When I think about the cost--nearly as much as I paid for the bike--I think a moment later 'you only live once'. We'll see...

I need to do a more thorough cleaning on the bike. Mostly the underside. All the visible areas are nicely maintained. The rear cylinder looks like new. The front is a little stained as you'd imagine from its position in the wind. Overall the bike is a well-cared for specimen for 14 years old with 22K miles.

I'm looking forward to getting the bars up, the pegs down, and the new seat on. In the meantime, it's still a great ride. I'm just not as malleable as I used to be, i.e., I don't bend as well.

The other best-laid plan is to do Level 2 with Keith Code Cali Superbike School in the Spring. (I live about 4 miles from Willow Springs, one of their school tracks). Their next class for me is not available until October of this year! So I'll check back about then to schedule something in the spring. If you have a chance to go to this school it's well worth it. You'll likely learn something you'd never thought about before, regarding riding a motorcycle. It's not just for racers.

I've attached a pic of my 'new' Super Hawk, squeezed into the corner of my garage. (I need to clean some stuff out...LOL).

Alan

Wolverine 04-30-2017 07:29 PM

If I haven't already... Welcome to the forum!

You're on your way to a great love affair that most of us have already savored in for a while. Very rewarding bike once tailored to your individual personality. We'd love to follow along as you do just that.

I must also comment on the carbon wheels. Last riding season I experienced a set on a well sorted Aprilia Tuono. Un-f**king real! That's all I got ;)

AlanS 05-01-2017 06:01 PM

Wolverine, having ridden with the CF wheels you know the feel. A bike feels very much more nimble. There aren't any downsides but the cost, and the greater tendency to pull the front tire off the ground.

I'm really trying to work them into my budget. Other things can go bye-bye and unless there's some issue I can't side-step I'll have a set in a couple of months. I'll post up some pics.

Alan

finepooch 05-01-2017 06:03 PM

welcome.
as i age and get fatter i become less flexible. i love my lower pegs, higher handle bars and corbin seat. last year i bought another hawk that is all stock. i rode it around the block and really appreciated the comfort of my "old man" set up.
enjoy your bike.

AlanS 05-01-2017 06:36 PM

Hey, finepooch, thanks for the good wishes.

There's no shame in being your (our) age. That said, there's something to be said for 'resistance'.

I changed my diet and started exercising a bit more and lost 10 pounds. Off my gut, primarily.

I bought a Super Hawk to ride fast(er than my Harley) and keep me limber. LOL.

Ok, here's a story from my day. Somehow it seems apropos...

I'm in the dentist's office today, in Santa Clarita, California. There's this gnome of a guy walking around with a cane in the small waiting room, white hair... He introduces himself as 'Bernardo'. He tells me he's '97'. I don't know that I've ever met anyone who's 97. From what I could tell (he had an accent and WTF he's 97 F'n YEARS OLD) he was born in Poland, lived there for 15 years then moved. To Uruguay. He spoke about the jewish people quite a lot--he's a jew--and became emotional several times. Frankly, I didn't follow the details of the story all that well, but based on my meager knowledge of history, and his obvious feelings, I tracked with what he was talking about, in general. Sometimes you don't need all another person's details to gain your understanding of their story. Anyway...

During the course of the conversation he mentions he doesn't want to linger (the pacing, cadence of his conversation was a little like he was on 'speed') but wants 'it' like a head-shot (my condensed translation). Seems morbid I suppose. But to me it points up the fact that with age comes the acceptance of death, and the realization that 'life' under certain circumstances is less preferable. Anyway, lifting a 'cup' to Bernardo tonight. A few pounds, and a little less limber ain't really so much to worry over...

Alan

finepooch 05-03-2017 05:56 PM

perspective. it certainly could be worse. it could be so bad that i couldn't ride at all.

as for losing weight, yup, i gotta start doing something about it. blood pressure is creeping up, blood sugar occasionally gets low, more and more aches and pains... all related to my love for food.

40 truly is the hump. everything heads downhill from there.

i miss being invincible.

VTR1000F 05-03-2017 06:25 PM

Wait til 50 kicks you in the nuts.

AlanS 05-03-2017 06:26 PM

I miss it, too. What replaces it is good, too. But it doesn't have the soft edge. I miss the blurry focus. Not quite seeing what is really there (or perhaps not). Things like 'love at first sight', and 'no taxation without representation'. LOL.

VTR1000F, LOL. 2002 was a great year. Why are you knocking it?

VTR1000F 05-03-2017 07:37 PM

That was a great year. That's the year I lost my virginity.

xeris 05-04-2017 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 402084)
Wait til 50 kicks you in the nuts.

Then there is 60, it cuts them off.

AlanS 05-04-2017 07:29 PM

LOL. Getting old is not for the feint-hearted. It's easy to hike on a level surface. The obstacles that come along you can circumvent with alacrity...you're supple, stout, limber. But as your body ages the ground you walk on starts to incline upward, obstacles which might formerly have been trivial become more formidable. You're not only dodging them but you're walking up a steep grade at the same time.

It's not simple. As you grow into greater age, you realize it's none of it as simple as you might have once thought...

I would not, personally, return to an earlier state. This is what we're meant to do, experience, and be. It appears inferior. But I'm not sure age is really such. I don't know why. But I think it's in plan.

I just want to be able to ride this Super Hawk without experiencing a lot of physical pain. There's some part of my soul that loves to ride a motorcycle like this. I've got the lowering pegs, handle-bar risers--and tomorrow a more accommodating seat--to attempt the acclimate to the exercise.

Wolverine 05-05-2017 05:23 PM

So you're saying the add for this website on your device is.... Metamucil?

:)

AlanS 05-05-2017 05:51 PM

More like Aleve!