SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   new to me 2003 superhawk 1000cc motorcycle (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/new-me-2003-superhawk-1000cc-motorcycle-34507/)

drasken 05-07-2017 12:02 AM

new to me 2003 superhawk 1000cc motorcycle

Hello I bought a Honda 2003 superhawk thousand cc motorcycle about a year-and-a-half ago it's starting to backfire pretty badly I bought it up in Oregon and now I currently live in Arizona I've noticed that the temperatures are definitely increasing down here and I was wondering is there any way to modify what was the two-part question modify my radiators to have two fans going one on the left side and one on the right side and if so how can I do this just can't really well to the radiators any brackets fan brackets second part is motorcycle self is backfiring quite a bit now I'm right now I my gas tank off my air filter off and looking into the carburetor I am not the world's best mechanic and I'm kind of at a loss I am picking up a Honda OEM book it should be in the mail here soon the bike has been down once at low speeds and but it's still rideable I-5 chain read it quite a bit on it my sprockets and chains tires oil the only thing I need to change out with the spark plugs I flush the cooling system all the oils been changed all the fluids have been changed but it's just running crappy and I need to figure out how to get it back to its you know Optimum right again if anyone is able to message me I want to add some some things to it if it if anyone could help me out that be awesome

Wicky 05-07-2017 03:46 AM

it's starting to backfire pretty badly
Begin by checking for airleaks in the exhaust manifold, header link pipe, vacuum hose connectors, carb intake manifold. And if you have PAIRS system junk it.

drasken 05-07-2017 06:10 AM

how do i know if i have a pairs system ?as far as exhaust i have replaced all of seals all my hoses are strong and intacked will check dor any vacuum leeks

drasken 05-07-2017 07:21 AM

also what can i do to help the over heating issue well riding in az in oregon did not have to worry about that sown here bike temp at stand and well riding depending on the heat reaches 212

xeris 05-07-2017 08:28 AM

All years came stock with the Pair emission system.
Look at the front valve cover, if there is a hose going into a small (1"X1.5"X.5" aprox.) part bolted to the cover, that is part of the Pair system. If it's a flat plate bolted there, then the Pair system has been eliminated.
As recommended, remove the Pair system. There is more components to remove and you will need a set of Pair block-off plates, also a couple of caps to block inlet to the air box (IIRC). There are two vendors (that I know of) that make them, Superduty is one and the other slips my mind right now. Search is your friend.
Hope this helps.

drasken 05-07-2017 09:30 AM

okay so once my phone charges i will go out and take some pics and post i do belive my pair system is still on the bike any idea of where i can get the parts to replace and cap once i remove the pair system i live im queen creek az

drasken 05-07-2017 09:37 AM

also my bike will die just die randomly on the freeway or streets any time inlet off the throttle to slow down or stop the bike will die

drasken 05-07-2017 09:43 AM

deffently comfermed the pair system is on my bike

smokinjoe73 05-07-2017 01:13 PM

How hot is the bike getting? Are you sure its overheating? You have new oil at sufficient level? Plenty of coolant.

drasken 05-07-2017 02:11 PM

227 is the highest i seen my temp i dont allow it to go higher by turning it off at stop lights yes on fulids just did an oil change and coolent flush

smokinjoe73 05-07-2017 03:56 PM

So by then the fan should already be on and cooling it yes? Are you in slow traffic when this happens? You should think about putting in a new thermostat as cheap insurance as well as removing the rads to clean them properly. When I removed mine they were so dirty I couldn't believe it.

Next use air conditioner core cleaner (foaming stuff) to really clean them. This will return efficiency.

I eventually bought the thicker "racing" rads on ebay and that helped temps a lot as I ride in traffic daily.

2 fans is prohibitively difficult and draining on an already taxed electrical system.

At one point I built a water spraying system to mist the rads but it just looked to weird to keep.

drasken 05-07-2017 04:06 PM

yes by that time the fan kicks on but dose little to cool. i am getting new rads for the bike from ebay and yes in city traffic dose my temp rise quite a bit

Wicky 05-07-2017 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by drasken (Post 402122)
also my bike will die just die randomly on the freeway or streets any time inlet off the throttle to slow down or stop the bike will die

What's the idle set at? raise it a tad to 1200 – 1300

drasken 05-08-2017 06:53 AM

no idea i am not a mechanic so i would need visuals on how or what to check if at all possiable hell i dont even have a book on my bike

Fastguy59 05-08-2017 11:11 AM

So definitely get rid of the pair system. But also check the altitude of the area you bought it from and then the altitude of where you are tell me what the difference is in feet. As far as the overheating is concerned... When is the last time the coolant was changed? It does wear out, and becomes less effective over time. Go to any Honda car dealer and buy a gallon of Honda Blue Coolant, its good for 7-10 years. Also altitude comes into play here. The higher the altitude the lower the static pressure on the cooling system. The lower the pressure the quicker the system will boil over. You can rectify this by simply getting a radiator cap with a higher pressure rating...

drasken 05-08-2017 01:19 PM

yea i have looked into the altitude and salem or. to queen creek az aka phonex area is surprisingly only about 100 feet from each other being phonex a little higher as far as the cooling system i am getting new raidators and will flush the system agine then last time i did it i was in oregon last year how ever i only used a store bought fluid for a car

drasken 05-09-2017 01:15 PM

so just took my bike to a mechanic and he said i should scrap tbe bike seems its not worth trying to fix some major issues is a knoc tapp in front of engine pin or rod. rear shock is leeking has a bad bumber saying that it will cost over 1000 to fix how ever he also states my chain sprockets need replacing i just had that done last year my chain and sprocket so at a lose what do you guys think i should do

smokinjoe73 05-09-2017 02:26 PM

I wouldn't do anything based on that mechanics opinion. Rear shock is like 30$ to your door. So he just heard it run and quoted you $1000? You should get another opinion. Knock tap or whatever has little to do with an overheating issue.

I thought the original issue was a backfire then heat. Is the backfire on decel? I would suggest getting a new radiator cap no matter what, just search on here there is a list of caps from an auto parts store that will fit.

That alone may solve the heat issue. Did you see the coolant level yourself or did a mech tell you it was good? I would inspect it again and get good at it since you will always need to do it.

Does the bike start and run ok? Keep it and check a few things. Broken choke line may be a culprit too. Lots of threads on here about that.

drasken 05-09-2017 02:55 PM

i been reading on here a few threads that have simaler issues. i absolutely enjoy my superhawk how ever there is a knok tap that i was not sure was there and no non of what he said had anything to do with the back fire and over heating so i think will keep it but i know i do need to flush my cooling system and all of the rest expt oil because i just did that a few days ago

drasken 05-09-2017 03:10 PM

my bigist issue is i am not a read and learn kinda of guy i am a visual lerner and finding vids or even pics is very hard to come by for super hawks