SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   New clutch slipping normal??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/new-clutch-slipping-normal-18428/)

kevinmeller 04-24-2009 11:16 AM

New clutch slipping normal???

So the title says it all my baby had a new clutch put in as well as a new 2nd and 5th gear due to the dreaded worn second gear anyways, is it normal for the clutch to slip and not catch does it have to be broken in???

RoofCleanPhenom 04-24-2009 11:29 AM

One of my first posts here asked about the clutch on my Hawk.
I'd put her in gear, and let the clutch all the way out...
Even if it worked fine the first hour or so after being started, I'd shut down the Hawk for about 15 mins or so and get ready to start riding again..
And the clutch simply wouldn't work.
I'd get it all the way out and I'd be sitting still, like I was in neutral. Worked fine most of the time, but atleast once or twice a day it acted this way.

My mechanic cleaned out the clutch lines, including the return. There was quite a bit of lovely Goop in there, so he cleaned it nice and shiny like.
Ever since, the clutch works fantastic.
I also have heard if someone's been running automotive (car/truck) oil in the Hawk, it can eat up the clutch (possibly a new clutch and oil change with the wrong oil?).
I know this probably helps zero-like, but if it sounds familiar, check the clutch lines :)

shayne 04-24-2009 11:14 PM

Something is not right. As suggested, I would clean and bleed the clutch first, and ensure you are running the correct type of oil.

ripvanwinkle 04-25-2009 02:44 AM

I have heard of owners using fully synthetic oil causing your problem. When they replaced it with semi-synthetic that cured the problem.

HondaJim 04-25-2009 04:42 AM

Did you soak the plates in oil for a day or two before the install?

E.Marquez 04-25-2009 06:15 AM

Synthetic oil issues? oil, ancient history, not an issue with modern oils.. but the wives tale continues. Soaking in oil,, again, required and recommended at one time, not really needed with current modern materials, but will not hurt anything. new clutch slipping? Mis-assembled; shudder springs installed wrong, OEM last disk (installed) not installed correctly, order of drive and driven disks wrong, Pressure plate not seated, springs not tightened down. Clutch master/slave system contaminated, have gunk in them, air in system. Lastly, driven plates were worn but not replaced, pressure plate worn and not replaced, basket fingers grooved badly, and not replaced..

kevinmeller 04-25-2009 12:25 PM

ok so my description is off a little its not really a slip whats happening is i give power and the motor wants to quit and anytime i give it power this happens. so what im being told is maybe i fouled a plug somehow when the motor came off cause the transmission is NOT slipping...my friend corrected me when he road it this morning

maverick 04-25-2009 12:57 PM

Wait, you thought a misfire was a slipping clutch?

kevinmeller 04-26-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by maverick (Post 213013)
Wait, you thought a misfire was a slipping clutch?

yes, i know im retarded

kevinmeller 04-30-2009 05:26 PM

So I was lookin at everything today and was gonna pull the front spark plug out and when I touched the front plug wire it ripped into pieces so I think that may be the prblem.....so anyone know where to get it????

HondaJim 05-01-2009 02:20 AM

Handa dealer, bike yard, ebay, this board.

You must have the unmagic touch.

JamieDaugherty 05-01-2009 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by HondaJim (Post 212978)
Did you soak the plates in oil for a day or two before the install?

You know, I've heard that's required and would cause a lot of slipping if you don't do it. However, I've never done that and haven't had any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky?