SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   New Carb Boots Different!!!! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/new-carb-boots-different-26193/)

chp_hates_me 07-21-2011 08:09 AM

New Carb Boots Different!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
i just bought some new carb boots for my 98 model. the boots are different than the originals.

take a look at the attached pic.... is this insert molded metal plate there help the hiccup problem, better atomize the fuel, reduce HP, etc????

.......i really don't like the looks of this, the plate ID is less than the ID of the carb outlet.....should i chuck this thing up and bore it out to 48.5 mm, same as the carb outlet.

the honda engineers must have done this for a reason, but it does not mean that it was a good reason.

thanks

killer5280 07-21-2011 08:57 AM

That was a "feature" on some Euro models of the Super Hawk. Sort of a minor restrictor plate. They don't make too much difference, but they are easily removed.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...trictor-20852/

chp_hates_me 07-21-2011 09:07 AM

mine is a california model.

i read here that the euro restriction plates are D shaped. i'm just a little hesitant to take them out b/c i also read here the plates are to help with the hiccup problem and low velocity atomization that leads to the off idle engine dying prob.

8541Hawk 07-21-2011 10:24 AM

Well it's not the "restrictor" as mentioned in the other post as those were much bigger.

I have run them both ways and found the only difference is the carbs seat much better when they are left in.

So I would just leave them in there and run them the way they are.

VTRsurfer 07-21-2011 11:42 AM

I'd have to remove my carbs to check for sure (and I'm not going to do that right now), but I've had mine off 4 times, and I don't recall seeing a metal plate. I would swear that mine look like the cutaway in the upper image you attached. I've looked down into the intake ports with a flashlight each time I've had them off.

And as you can see in my signature, mine is an '05. Are they OEM Honda boots?

kai ju 07-21-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by chp_hates_me (Post 309550)
i just bought some new carb boots for my 98 model. the boots are different than the originals.

take a look at the attached pic.... is this insert molded metal plate there help the hiccup problem, better atomize the fuel, reduce HP, etc????

.......i really don't like the looks of this, the plate ID is less than the ID of the carb outlet.....should i chuck this thing up and bore it out to 48.5 mm, same as the carb outlet.

the honda engineers must have done this for a reason, but it does not mean that it was a good reason.

thanks

Leave the restrictor alone, you will get better low rpm fuel metering because the smaller diameter maintains higher intake port velocity.
You will not feel or see a difference at high rpm.

chp_hates_me 07-21-2011 12:05 PM

yes they are OEM pn#s

16210-MBB-950 - INSULATOR, FR. CARBURETOR
16220-MBB-950 - INSULATOR, RR. CARBURETOR

8541Hawk 07-21-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 309564)
I'd have to remove my carbs to check for sure (and I'm not going to do that right now), but I've had mine off 4 times, and I don't recall seeing a metal plate. I would swear that mine look like the cutaway in the upper image you attached. I've looked down into the intake ports with a flashlight each time I've had them off.

And as you can see in my signature, mine is an '05. Are they OEM Honda boots?

Yes they are stock and you can't see them if you look down the carbs which is another good sign to just leave them be....... ;)

chp_hates_me 07-21-2011 02:50 PM

ok, thanks for all the good advice guys.

i'll have it put together before dark tonight, and then take it out for a good flogging! just before dark is a good time to ride........ i think that is about shift change time for the cops.

Tweety 07-21-2011 04:05 PM

The Euro "restrictor" is the same metal piece with about a quarter of the area filled in making a big "D" shaped hole that is easily visible... The restrictor should be removed, the ring is an entirely other matter and should be left alone...