SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   New Brake pads, pistons sticking, rebuild?? or?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/new-brake-pads-pistons-sticking-rebuild-9114/)

Randman 07-10-2006 09:44 PM

New Brake pads, pistons sticking, rebuild?? or??

Ok, so I pulled off the Gaffer pads, one side of the pair was worn down almost twice as much as the other, so I soaked the pistons on the calipers down with brake free.....and played with them til they were looser....I replaced the DOT4 with synth DOT4, then put in the new EBC pads..... seems to be working better for now....just wondering how long it will take for the pads to seat properly, and if anyone has had the calipers rebuilt? in case I have to do that(rebuild).....there is a little bit of a sound coming from the front brakes, but I am not sure what it is, it could be normal with replacing the pads, I dunno....anyone?? ?? TIA

Damn, I think I am a real motorcycle mechanic now, I have done way too much work on this bike...lol...nah not really, but it is fun.....

Side note, anyone live in LA, ie Louisiana?? near the coast?? Might be moving soon....

SlowHAWK 07-11-2006 06:25 AM

I think the EBC packaging says like 200 miles to seat them..... I used the brake excessivly the first couple short rides to wear them in a bit quicker.

As for rebuilding the calipers.... it's very easy, the worst part is spending $3-$4 per seal (2 per piston). Basically just unmount them, split them in half (by removing the bolts) If you have access to an air compressor it will really help get the pistons out very easily. Once they are out just clean away, slide in the new seals (they are just like o-rings) and put everything back together.

As for the noise.... I got a weird "whine" when I'm on the brakes hard after I rebuilt my RC calipers and placed in new EBC pads... don't know if this is normal, but since they work fine, I'm OK with it.

J.

BTW... Ron Ayers had the seals the cheapest I could find.

SlowHAWK 07-11-2006 06:25 AM

I think the EBC packaging says like 200 miles to seat them..... I used the brake excessivly the first couple short rides to wear them in a bit quicker.

As for rebuilding the calipers.... it's very easy, the worst part is spending $3-$4 per seal (2 per piston). Basically just unmount them, split them in half (by removing the bolts) If you have access to an air compressor it will really help get the pistons out very easily. Once they are out just clean away, slide in the new seals (they are just like o-rings) and put everything back together.

As for the noise.... I got a weird "whine" when I'm on the brakes hard after I rebuilt my RC calipers and placed in new EBC pads... don't know if this is normal, but since they work fine, I'm OK with it.

J.

Randman 07-11-2006 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK

J.

Hey, thanks for the info, that sounds like a no brainer on the rebuild....just seals, or o-rings, sounds fun.....think I will do that just for the hell of it, to make sure I have no more issues with them....

Preash....

Randman 07-11-2006 01:58 PM

I checked Ron Ayers and to replace the piston seals for two calipers it runs $55 includes shipping....does that sound about right? ie anyone find or have a cheaper price??

Scooberhawk 07-11-2006 03:18 PM

Someone just recently said they spent over $60, I think $66. That was from a dealer. It sounds like a darn good deal considering the free shipping.

Randman 07-11-2006 04:45 PM

well plus the little seal joint....two of those are needed, so another $5 plus bucks....takes it to $60 ish.....seems kind of high for a few rings....anyone have the mm size of the rings, seals what ever they are?? probably find them cheaper at a hydralics shop or something....

SlowHAWK 07-11-2006 06:31 PM

Yeah... 60ish sounds about right..... the seals aren't exactley "O" rings..... they are square in section, so not sure you could find anything similar easily.... for what you might safe in cash, I'd rather have piece of mind that I have good brakes...

Also.... if you use compressed air to pop the pistons out, be very careful, and don't use too much pressure.... otherwise they will shoot out.. and I mean SHOOT. (I faced them down on a piece of wood with a towel over it. Then put my hand on the caliper and gave them "some air" untill the pistons were almost all the way out of the holes, then just pulled them out with a large pair of pliers. It's pretty easy once they are out a bit)

Randman 07-11-2006 07:21 PM

Alright well that make sence, I guess sometimes it don't pay to try and save a buck or two.....lol....
And I will watch out for flying pistons....seems there was a lot of that going on.....lol....

Hawkrider 07-12-2006 12:19 PM

Unless you have a seal leaking it's unnecessary to replace the seals. You can just pull the calipers, squeeze the lever until the pistons move out enough to clean them with a soft toothbrush and some brake cleaner. If you really want to get anal, get some 1500 grit sandpaper and cut in strips, then polish the pistons a bit. When you're done just push them back in and replace the pads. If you think you have corrosion products or water in the caliper you can use brake cleaner again sprayed through the hole where the banjo bolt goes and then use compressed air to dry them out. Personally, I've never had to replace ANY seals on any of my vehicles, including a 1982 CB650C that I acquired back in '98. That bike is gone now, but that's another story.....

Randman 07-13-2006 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Unless you have a seal leaking it's unnecessary to replace the seals. You can just pull the calipers, squeeze the lever until the pistons move out enough to clean them with a soft toothbrush and some brake cleaner. If you really want to get anal, get some 1500 grit sandpaper and cut in strips, then polish the pistons a bit. When you're done just push them back in and replace the pads. If you think you have corrosion products or water in the caliper you can use brake cleaner again sprayed through the hole where the banjo bolt goes and then use compressed air to dry them out. Personally, I've never had to replace ANY seals on any of my vehicles, including a 1982 CB650C that I acquired back in '98. That bike is gone now, but that's another story.....

Thanks for the info, after some more reading I decided not to rebuild....however I am hearing some different sound coming from the front right, now that I have replaced the Gaf pads with EBC pads....not sure what it is yet...almost sounds like a slapping or popping sound, at hard braking right before it completly stops....not a big issue I guess, just don't know what it is....ideas???

Scooberhawk 07-13-2006 10:06 PM

Could be characteristic of what would happen to a fresh, unseated pad under hard braking. Kind of like grabbing and letting go really fast. I'd think if that happened and the street were really smooth you might be able to feel it in the lever just barely. Then again you might not be able to. I'd bet the sounds is from the pads not being seated to the rotors, though.

Randman 07-14-2006 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
Could be characteristic of what would happen to a fresh, unseated pad under hard braking. Kind of like grabbing and letting go really fast. I'd think if that happened and the street were really smooth you might be able to feel it in the lever just barely. Then again you might not be able to. I'd bet the sounds is from the pads not being seated to the rotors, though.

could be, I usually wear ear plugs, but I have been around the block a few more times and it seems to be deminishing....either that or I am getting used to it....

I guess it takes that 250 miles for these baby's to really start grabbing....I have been using front and back brakes to stop, but now I have to use a little more back....They do feel more smooth, and the pulsing is gone....hopefully she is curied...til something else decides to go out...lol....I really want a new bike....newer technology and all....but I must wait til the old lady gets a new job, so she can buy me more toys and stuff....as I am the trophy husband and all....lol....hopefully she will never see this.....lol....

CNI Dawg 07-15-2006 12:56 AM

No no you were SUPPOSED to be moving to Deal's Gap NOT Louisania !!!!
How am I supposed to come visit you at Deal's Gap if you don't live there??? Geeeezzzzz!!!!
:D:D:D:D

IF it's more a ticking noise it might be the floating brake disc.
If its a popping or slapping sound something is not right.
How loud is it?

Randman 07-15-2006 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CNI Dawg
How am I supposed to come visit you at Deal's Gap if you don't live there??? Geeeezzzzz!!!!

IF it's more a ticking noise it might be the floating brake disc.
If its a popping or slapping sound something is not right.
How loud is it?

I know I know, NC would be the bomb, The Gap, skiing, the counrty side etc.....but the money is like twice as much in LA....go figure...

Floating brake disc??? explain....and I would describe it more as a ticking than the other....
It seems to have deminished a bit, I will have to take her out today and make a few runs down the street and see if I can still hear it...then I will post back...

superhawk22 07-15-2006 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CNI Dawg

That's alright Bill you're more than welcome to come visit me when I move up there. ;)

Randman 07-15-2006 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22
That's alright Bill you're more than welcome to come visit me when I move up there. ;)

G, what is that stuff on your nose....hhmmm oh, I see....or smell rather....

lol.....Oh yeah, well, I think I will buy a house up there and let anyone who wants to come and stay for a few days at a time use it, just to ride the Gap.....Ha, how bout that.....

course I won't be able to afford anything else at that point, or maybe I can have BB that caters to bikers....hmmm, there's an idea.....wheels spinning, smoke pouring out from ears.....that hurts....LOL