Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Starter repair / Rebuild

Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Starter repair / Rebuild

The VTR starter is not know to be failure prone. But it is out in the open to weather, road debris, nestled behind the header cooking in stop and go traffic or waiting at a light.
A common issue is the starter terminal stud and nut, they are often found corroded... This can both effect electrical resistance and present a problem with getting the cable off.

Every component of the starter is available new from the OEM..... Except one... a plastic insulator inside the case.... To make matters worse. then the nut is seized to the starter terminal stud and a user tries to loosen the nut...the stud turns and damages the plastic insulator......

For the longest time that meant the starter was no longer rebuild able...but recently I found source of rebuild kits that includes the plastic insulator.

Having just rebuilt my starter a few days ago, I did not have a need for the kit...but was intrigued so bought one anyway. I will rebuild a spare starter I have here in the next few days and publish the process.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Eric, Where does one acquire said kit?
Old 10-07-2018, 06:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CaryDG
Eric, Where does one acquire said kit?
Susshhhh, its a secrete.........

Ok, not really , but I wanted to do the build and confirm it works as it should. And i thought I had "hidden" this thread after making it....I was using it as I do often as a in progress write up...only making it visible when Im done. Ooops.

As long as the starter stud is not turned when removing the cable nut, I think the plastic isolator is most often just fine..in which case I like to use OEM parts for the rest of the build....But I'll rebuild this starter using the after market parts and run it in my bike a season, then disassemble and see what we see.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Superstock

I won't tell anyone, I promise.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I won't tell anyone, I promise.
OK just this once
Its Rick's Motorsport Electrics located in NH Part number 70-507
But sush, don't tell anyone
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Old 10-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Superstock

Thanks Eric, ordered one to have on hand.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Grease the heck out of it

That is the moral of the story underneath the little rubber boot the starter cable connects runs under clean everything and pack it solid with waterproof grease.

that's what I've done but it's probably due to be checked. I do it once a season usually, still have, knock on plastic, the original starter motor and engine for that matter with a hundred and ten thousand but I have two spare engines Etc waiting in the wings to keep it honest

I also picked up a brand new spare starter years ago still new in the box for a song

Rick's makes decent stuff
Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Superstock

I'm kinda' like a Boy Scout. I like to be prepared for stuff. My SH only has 38k miles but I religiously apply dielectric grease on all connections, from connectors to bulb bases. I even coat the contacts in my signal, horn and starter switches. I picked up a rebuild kit just in case. I hate deferred maintenance break downs! Plus, I'm old and have time on my hands. When I'm not riding, I'm fiddling' around with bikes. I really can't decide whether I like riding or working on them more. LOL
Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I really can't decide whether I like riding or working on them more. LOL
decide to work on them for a living.....that will cure that damn quick
Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
A good ol' friend of mine who was well into bikes when we were younger got a job (it seemed luckily) on the parts desk / customer service desk for a few years at a Kawasaki / Reliant dealership (Reliant 3 wheel car customers did his head in!), then at a Honda shop till the shop's owner sucked the company cashflow dry funding his gambling habit!.

These experiences finished his love of bikes and hasn't ridden one since - towards the end he was running around the shop (much to my amusement when I popped in) behaving like Basil Fawlty and taking out his frustrations on the customers and the shop junior like he was Manuel :-) Funnily enough the junior lad after the shop closed set up a breakers selling parts on ebay with one of the salesman and is doing rather well for himself.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

It will make no sense to most but...
I still love doing the work, I hate going into the shop. I need more room and the lack there of makes working IN the shop less fun, the work it self is very enjoyable.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Superstock

Eric, I understand completely. I worked professionally for 5-6 years back in the 70's. It was a great learning experience but, I definitely prefer doing it as a hobby. It's very therapeutic. I don't think there is such a thing as a big enough shop! LOL .I don't need a bigger shop, I just need someone to follow me around and pick up stuff that I set down. I seems like I spend more time looking for that part/tool I "just had in my hand" than working.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:58 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Pre Alziemers

LOL, I've always had a poor memory but since I hit 60 it's going downhill even further

I hate not being able to remember where I just put something or earlier had stored it somewhere and can't for the life of me find what I did with it

though very often while I'm digging for one item I can't find I find another, very frustrating!!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:09 AM
Permanent Student
Squid

2.5i is on a distinguished road
Curious about your rebuild Eric, after my recent animated gauge ride the bike refused to start again - this time it was that nut on the starter which was corroded mush.

I have greased it for now but would love to replace the stud+nut. Some folks on vtr1000.org have modified bolts to replace the stud. I’ve been looking at used blackbird starters which fit, and come with significantly less corrosion on that nut. Planning to rebuild one of those and keep on hand.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:07 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 2.5i
Curious about your rebuild Eric, after my recent animated gauge ride the bike refused to start again - this time it was that nut on the starter which was corroded mush.

I have greased it for now but would love to replace the stud+nut. Some folks on vtr1000.org have modified bolts to replace the stud. I’ve been looking at used blackbird starters which fit, and come with significantly less corrosion on that nut. Planning to rebuild one of those and keep on hand.
The starter terminal bolt comes with the OEM part, no need to "make one"
The only part at issue is the plastic insulator, it simply is not provided as a service part.
When you go to remove and then disassemble the starter.. I cut the whole thing off the case with a cut off wheel. One twist of the seized terminal nut and the head of that stud damages the plastic part inside..
Go slow on the cutting and cool often so you don't melt the plastic part.

Im still going to use all OEM parts when the plastic part is found to be undamaged, but on that 1 of 10 where it is..thats where this new kit comes in.

Oh and, getting the four brushes retracted and held in place so you can get the armature installed is a fun game without a tool made to do so.
Last one I did started with the retract and wedge with wooden tooth picks plan.... it works, mostly, most times.... but still a pain....I stopped on the second try and spent 2 hours at the lathe and mil to make a tool to do the job........Well worth the time invested.
If your only doing one starter rebuild every 10 years, tooth picks or a lucky find of the perfect sized socket, tube, pipe will do...but if your doing more than that...forget about it.