SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Need some help sorting running issues - Central Maryland (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-some-help-sorting-running-issues-central-maryland-34730/)

Vtrachan 10-12-2017 04:59 AM

Need some help sorting running issues - Central Maryland

Hey there guys,

I'm new this forum. I have a 1999 Honda Superhawk 996 that I got for free from a friend. The motor failed due to oil starvation. I found another motor on eBay and swapped it, also installing manual cam chain tensioners. I also had a shop professionally clean the gas tank and the carbs. The bike is running now but poorly. It will die if i remove the choke or release the throttle. I am looking for a competent motorcycle mechanic with reasonable rates. Hopefully this person would have a garage as troubleshooting takes time. I'm in Greenbelt, MD. I desperately want to track this bike next year. Thanks.

xeris 10-12-2017 05:41 AM

Check for vacuum leaks. Start with the rubber boots between the head and carbs.

xeris 10-12-2017 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vtrachan (Post 404151)
Hey there guys,

I'm new this forum. I have a 1999 Honda Superhawk 996 that I got for free from a friend. The motor failed due to oil starvation. I found another motor on eBay and swapped it, also installing manual cam chain tensioners. I also had a shop professionally clean the gas tank and the carbs. The bike is running now but poorly. It will die if i remove the choke or release the throttle. I am looking for a competent motorcycle mechanic with reasonable rates. Hopefully this person would have a garage as troubleshooting takes time. I'm in Greenbelt, MD. I desperately want to track this bike next year. Thanks.

This has been a reoccurring issue with the SH in general.

smokinjoe73 10-12-2017 05:51 AM

Are you willing/ able to take off the tank & airbox to look at the choke cables? It sounds like they are cracked at the elbows. It could also be torn diaphragms or not sealed carb boots. Others will add but it could also be slow speed jets. The shop that did the work should be willing to fix the issue. If you paid them for a running bike they did not fill the bill.

E.Marquez 10-12-2017 11:21 AM

Need some help sorting running issues

Just to be clear, do you want help sorting the issues, or a mechanic recommendations?
There is no wrong in either answer, but just don't want to waste time and resources running down possible issues, diagnostic steps, ect if you have no interest in doing the repairs yourself..

Again, nothing wrong with that, just don't want to waste your time or ours.

Cadbury64 10-12-2017 12:50 PM

If the bike won't idle without the choke or throttle then I'd say either idle adjuster is turned all the way down, the slow speed jets are blocked, or the pilot screws might be fully shut. I'd certainly try the idle adjuster first, right side of bike up under the carbs accessible without any disassembly, a black knob. Screwing in (clockwise) opens the throttle plates and (should) increase the idle.

Wolverine 10-12-2017 05:50 PM

I also had a shop professionally clean the gas tank and the carbs. The bike is running now but poorly. It will die if i remove the choke or release the throttle.

Did said shop have the whole motorcycle? If so, they are responsible to produce a good running bike after a carb clean. Take it right back and have them fix their F-up.

Wolverine 10-12-2017 05:54 PM

And welcome Vtrachan. There's plenty of people here that will offer up all the help they can, free of charge. Ask away.