Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Engine cover won’t come off

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Squid

T-roy is on a distinguished road
Engine cover won’t come off

So I’m replacing the clutch in my 98 SH and I finally get access to the cover and it seems to be stuck someway. Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
The fun part when taking off the clutch cover is finding the lever points at the back & front of the casing. Use a new gasket after cleaning the old one off throughly and grease one side of the gasket to aid in any future removal.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:14 AM
Squid

T-roy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
The fun part when taking off the clutch cover is finding the lever points at the back & front of the casing. Use a new gasket after cleaning the old one off throughly and grease one side of the gasket to aid in any future removal.
I see the leverage points and have been trying like crazy to get it off, short of smashing it with a hammer and still not budging
Old 10-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by T-roy
I see the leverage points and have been trying like crazy to get it off, short of smashing it with a hammer and still not budging
In additions to a gasket "gluing" the cover in place, there are two dowel pins that align the cover and gasket, they can stick sometimes making removal difficult. Those pins also mean you have to remove the cover evenly or it binds at the dowel pins.
Some times, moderately smacking the cover from several sides with a soft faced dead blow hammer will break the stiction and allow the cover to be removed. Don't hammer on the cover, just a few smart raps from 3 or 4 directions, more or harder is not better
Attached Thumbnails -vtr1000f-clutch-cover-dowel-pins.jpg  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:26 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Keep trying. Soft blows with a rubber hammer will help, up-down-left-right, keep getting a little firmer each time.. Do not smash Hulk!! lol

Originally Posted by T-roy