SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Need some help! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-some-help-31670/)

Appletonhawk 02-18-2014 06:06 PM

Need some help!

So in the process of installing my new undertail and upgraded R/R tonight I pull the stock R/R off only to notice one of the yellow wires going into the factory pigtail is completely melted and burnt out of the stock plastic connector. I purchased a factory upgraded R/R to replace the factory one so I need to stick with the stock pigtail, but obviously the one on my bike is toast. Anyone know where I can find a direct replacement that I can splice in? Something so simple just turned into a cluster! GRRR. Not even sure what this yellow wire does as I have never had a charging problem of any sort, but I know it can't be good and needs to be corrected.

saige 02-18-2014 06:40 PM

ok,so first question,what exactly is a factory upgraded R/R
what model,where,which bike did it come from.
#2 the yellow wires is for charging,which goes to the stator.
once wire is cleaned up,check with meter if the stator is still good,there is a procedure and cant think of it off the top of my head to tell you,but either check manual or someone will chime in.
if stator is good,you got lucky,the R/R needed is a mosfet,hope thats what you got.
and,if you need a new connector and pins,i think i have what you need,if so,pay for shipping and its yours,but i will have to check and see if i do have it,no promises.

jscobey 02-18-2014 11:16 PM

if your stators fried i have one. hope it all turns out ok! and i think the R/R is one of the ricks R/R's. thats what i currently have. its served me well thus far. id like to put in a mosfet eventually but for now its working great

Appletonhawk 02-19-2014 05:19 AM

I picked up a factory upgraded R/R that is basically like stock except with a big heat sink on it and upgraded internals so that it doesn't overheat like the stock unit. Anway back to the issue. Where do I find a factory style pigtail so I can plug the thing in and test the charging system?

Appletonhawk 02-19-2014 05:29 AM

OK found what I need from Ricks Motorsports. Problem solved!

Appletonhawk 02-19-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by jscobey (Post 368683)
if your stators fried i have one. hope it all turns out ok! and i think the R/R is one of the ricks R/R's. thats what i currently have. its served me well thus far. id like to put in a mosfet eventually but for now its working great

I'll let you know on the stator. Thanks!

comedo 02-19-2014 06:50 AM

Like saige, I wonder what a "factory upgraded R/R" is.
The original (97 to 00) VTR's had unfinned R/R's. From 01 on, the R/R's were finned. All had a number on them starting with "SH". All were thyristor based R/R's, i.e. non-Mosfet.
Obviously, the OEM R/R will work but, all things being equal, it will not work as long or as reliably as a Mosfet R/R.
Tweety wrote the definitive article on Mosfet R/R's. It's in the Knowledge Base. If you're going to the trouble of changing the R/R, a Mosfet R/R is the better choice.

Appletonhawk 02-19-2014 07:08 AM

Here is what I got. Figured I would try it as I wanted something that was plug N play.

Honda VTR1000F VTR 1000 Superhawk Voltage Regulator Rectifier New Updated Model | eBay

7moore7 02-19-2014 07:27 AM

It should work better than your aged OEM one, but if you feel like going through the hassle of returning it and getting a MOSFET, it would be very beneficial in the long run.

Zero plug and play options will give you as good of quality as a MOSFET unit.

Shindengen Yamaha R1 Regulator Rectifier FH012 Tested Working MOSFET SV650 | eBay
Furukawa Connectors for Shindengen FH012 FH011 FH010 | eBay

FH012AA | eBay

7moore7 02-19-2014 07:30 AM

Here's your stock plug in the interim
5 Way Regulator Rectifier Male Plug Connector for CB400 CBR600 CBR900 VT VTR | eBay

FTL900 02-19-2014 07:49 AM

When my RR went south, I read up on what models would work and bought one from a 2005 ZX10. I made sure I could read the FH in the ebay pictures before pulling the trigger. It was a pretty easy installation.

http://www.taiwanrider.com/hornet/FH010BA-3.jpg

Appletonhawk 02-19-2014 07:58 AM

Considering this one was plug and play and my old OEM was still working I'll take my chances on one these for the ease of install and availability if it should fail. Also keeping the OEM one as back up. Maybe just put it under the seat and carry a spare around just in case.

7moore7 02-19-2014 08:20 AM

Yours was on its way out, though, as evidenced by the burnt plug. Make sure all of the wires have superb contact on that new one. If you keep a good connection it won't build up resistance and heat and will last much longer.

Wicky 02-19-2014 08:50 AM

Trash it

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk (Post 368696)
Considering this one was plug and play and my old OEM was still working I'll take my chances on one these for the ease of install and availability if it should fail. Also keeping the OEM one as back up. Maybe just put it under the seat and carry a spare around just in case.

http://f.cl.ly/items/0R2w0m1c3r0l1W0...-R-R-small.jpg