SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Need help with valve clearance RT and FT position (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-help-valve-clearance-rt-ft-position-29429/)

lgaszynski 11-11-2012 09:37 AM

Need help with valve clearance RT and FT position

2 Attachment(s)
Hi
I start to a little rebuild my VTR1000F from 98 EU version.

I take off the engine and check the cam chain and other things

So i want to check the valve clearance
I take the caps and rotate the pistons to FT position and here is a question
how to get a right position, the hole mark must be between the R(F) and T symbol or directly on line(-) symbol whit is before RT and FT mark

If I rotate to line position (there is line to line in hole) the cam symbols FI FE are't in line position. There are well when i operate a little more than FT symbol and between R and T for the rear cylinder.

In my manual a see in the hole that is operate between the RT and FT symbols but in manual for VTR SP there is clearly write that line in hole must be face to line before RT and FT symbols

Please help me with this problem

The photos from the forum

I get two photo the ft mark and FT line mark

Which is correct?
Sorry for my English but i write from Poland:D

saige 11-11-2012 09:42 AM

if i understand what you are saying,you are going to line it up with the line,not the letters.
that should put it exactly where you need to be.

lgaszynski 11-11-2012 09:45 AM

which is correct line in timing hole with line or letters (between the letters RT or FT) on flywheel ?

because the front cylinder cam is wrong line with both situation, i want to correct this.

aja 11-11-2012 09:53 AM

If you already have the valve covers off and can see the cams, line the FE and FI (or RE RI) marks up with the head surface. Front cams will point away from each other at 45 degree angles, the rear will point towards each other at the same angle. Do it this way and you do not have to worry about getting the FT mark perfect.

lgaszynski 11-11-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 344693)
If you already have the valve covers off and can see the cams, line the FE and FI (or RE RI) marks up with the head surface. Front cams will point away from each other at 45 degree angles, the rear will point towards each other at the same angle. Do it this way and you do not have to worry about getting the FT mark perfect.

I do this and for the front cylinder the mark is after the FT symbol and for rear in the middle of RT symbols

i want take of the heads and install new cam chain so i need to make a perfect regulations and timing

p.s how to check the cam chain i have about 12mm to end the cam tensioners

8541Hawk 11-11-2012 10:10 AM

The difference between the SP1\2 & a VTR is the SP1\2 is a gear driven cam and the VTR is chain drive.

That is why the SP1\2 must be dead on and the VTR might not exactly line up.

saige 11-11-2012 10:19 AM

if you are doing the cct's,only do one head at a time.
for the front head,the marking is FT
for the rear head,the marking is RT

on the cam it self,it will have FE and FI or RE and RI
the front cam is FE and FI
the rear is RE and RI

make sure to follow instructions on the cct thread,zip tie the chain so you will not lose timing.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pe-ccts-11275/

the marking in the cover does not need to be exact,but close to it to make sure you are where you need to be.

lgaszynski 11-11-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 344696)
The difference between the SP1\2 & a VTR is the SP1\2 is a gear driven cam and the VTR is chain drive.

That is why the SP1\2 must be dead on and the VTR might not exactly line up.

Yes i know that Sp is on gear driven cam

So any post told me that it's not important that the mark is on line or on symbols
i need to take a decision when i get everything together how to do the timing regulations

The pistons going up and take the up death point on line and after te FT or RT mark is going down so I need set the flywheel on line or Symbols and it's not important where?

saige 11-11-2012 10:31 AM

as long as you can see the mark and its close to the line,you will be good.
but just make sure you have the correct mark for the correct head.