SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   need help starting bike (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-help-starting-bike-12492/)

macworld 08-27-2007 06:51 PM

need help starting bike

i finally got a chance to get my bike today, i have been deployed and also had my first child. anyways, the bike will not start. i had to bump start it today just to get it home. on the way home, the speedo quit working, but other than that it ran very well. i put it on the charger, and after about 4 hours of charging, it only makes a clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from the back area. does that sound like just a bad battery? any info.

superhawk22 08-27-2007 06:57 PM

Could be a VERY dead battery but it sounds like rectifier/regulator symptoms to me.

macworld 08-27-2007 07:07 PM

go on about this rectifier. what is it, what does it do? before this issue, the bike always has run great. it only has 8100 miles on it. would sitting in a garage for 9 months ruin this "rectifier"? any help or info is appreciated fellows. i would like to ride a little bit this week. i deploy again on labor day.....

superhawk22 08-27-2007 07:15 PM

The R/R is what keeps the charging system regulated and when mine went it messed up the speedo and tach when it was going out. The OEM RR has a tendency to overheat and burn out check the wires that go to it,(it's behind the rear cowl on the rider's right),and look for any burn marks on the harness. Also check the RR itself for any burn marks on the center of it,(oh by the way its a black rectangular box but not the signal relay). Check the battery with a multi meter and see what it's putting out, it should be around 14 volts with the rpms up if not do a search there's a test on here to see if it's the RR.

Hawkrider 08-27-2007 07:54 PM

Replace the battery. Get a cheap battery tender while deployed. I just had the same problem, but my battery failed quite suddenly, making me think it was something else.

superhawk22 08-27-2007 08:44 PM

Not to mention you can't do a true test without a good battery.

macworld 08-27-2007 08:46 PM

i priced the rectifier on bikebandit.com, and it is $156. does anyone know where i can get it cheaper? lot of money. i still havent even seen the part yet, it is dark and i am tired.

macworld 08-27-2007 08:55 PM

i found this on ebay, does this look like it will work? my bike is a 98, but this says 01-04. is there a difference? Item number: 120123886460

Chitownson 08-27-2007 08:56 PM

R/R

Check the forum, do a search under regulator or rectifier. Some members have substituted r/r's from other bikes/brands with bigger cooling fins on their r/r's. This way, you could find a used r/r at a lower cost to install that won't burn out again. Maybe try Los Angeles Motorcycle Salvage online or a local place.

I would also recommend getting a Honda Shop manual off E-bay ($20) or downloading it off this site if it's still available. Get familiar with the bike's workings and you'll find not only will you be able to work on it a little better yourself but you'll be able to dial it it a little more to your liking.

superhawk22 08-27-2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by macworld (Post 127658)
i found this on ebay, does this look like it will work? my bike is a 98, but this says 01-04. is there a difference? Item number: 120123886460

Should still work, I believe they just improved them to be larger and have fins to help keep it cooler but do the battery first and then do the test otherwise your just throwing parts at it without knowing what is really wrong with it. The manual link should still be on here I think it's a sticky and will help a lot.

superhawk22 08-27-2007 09:07 PM

Oh and sitting in a garage for 9 months could def. kill a battery and if this happens a lot a battery tender will keep the battery conditioned.

RK1 08-27-2007 11:36 PM

I'd forget about the R/R and get a fresh battery. I had exactly the same thing, same clicking after charging, happen when my bike sat for 6 months. A new battery was all I needed.

Probably all you need. Since after sitting for 9 mo. your battery is almost certainly shot I'd start there.