SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   need help asap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/need-help-asap-28720/)

supervee 07-06-2012 03:11 PM

need help asap

Okay well my bike 03 superhawk blew the main fuse on the positive battery cable and when i replaced it, it started making a wierd chain noise the other month. It was running but had a misfire. and it lead me to belive my cct had failed. I didnt have the money to fix it so its sat since today. I cleaned the carbs this morning and changed the oil cause it was at the house lol. I started it not thinking and its running better and i dont hear the chain noise anymore. I rode it around the yard for about 10min and theres no misfires or hesitations. My question to you all is, was it to much oil in the case or were the carbs gummed up "that bad" ? Any help and all input please as this is my only means of transportation right now. Bimmer shit on me to ha.

supervee 07-06-2012 03:33 PM

Also hello i thought i had in introduction thread but i guess not lol

My names Sid born in Concord, NC live in east TN. Im 20 years old and vtwins are my passion. Hence the supervee user name (:

Bandit400man 07-06-2012 03:39 PM

Idunno man that description of issues is all over the place...one thing wouldn't cause another type of thing...so you gotta really break it down, exactly what happened, in chronological order.
An welcome to the forum! Obx rocks!

supervee 07-06-2012 03:55 PM

In order, 1.oil was overfull 10w-30.
2. Main fuse blew
3. Replaced fuse
4. Bike started but had a weird chain noise when shutting off. Also didnt run correctly at times.
Ran right one minute and took a dive the next.

All the above was a month ago. Its sat since today.
TODAY
5. Changed oil to correct level. No metal shavings.
6. Rode around the yard for 10min or so. Ran fine no missfire or hesitation.

That's chronological order. Help....please ):
Hope that helps with diagnosis. Thanks bandit400man

Bandit400man 07-06-2012 04:08 PM

First I'd say download the service manual from this site, just do a search. Find where it talks about that fuse you blew. Troubleshoot from there. Just study it cause you'll learn a ton an be able to keep up with all the technical jargon your about to get hit with.
Good luck man!

RWhisen 07-06-2012 05:26 PM

What type of oil do you have in it?

7moore7 07-06-2012 05:57 PM

So it's running well now and you want to know what was wrong before, or are you having problems with it currently?

smokinjoe73 07-06-2012 09:09 PM

This really sounds like you have 6 appliances going and when the microwave beeps and the toast pops up at the same time you are thinking they are cause & effect. The sound the blender makes does not relate to your salad shooter either.

You would have to take things one at a time.

When you drained the oil (assuming you did) did any come out? How much?

Is it running fine now?

RWhisen 07-07-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 337174)
This really sounds like you have 6 appliances going and when the microwave beeps and the toast pops up at the same time you are thinking they are cause & effect. The sound the blender makes does not relate to your salad shooter either.

Is it running fine now?

He either killed himself on it or it is running fine I guess. Still curious what type of 10w30 oil he has in it because I suspect it's regular car oil.

If he had a misfire bad enough to make him "believe his CCT failed" what happened there? Of course he may have straightened out that misfire thing with cleaning the carbs but "riding around the yard for 10 minutes" is hardly a true test of the function of the jets in the carb.

He should look at his exhaust for leaks since that may be the source of his "weird chain noise".

Want to bet his R/R croaks soon?

supervee 07-08-2012 03:52 PM

Hey Buddys, sorry been covered in grease all day. BUT i took the fron cct of and it was like it didnt have any tension. then it would. so i reset it for the time being and rode for about an hour. runs fine at high rpms but it has a miss sometimes. ring it once and its fine. im no mechanic but this site has helped me alot. And yep 10w30 rotell cause the case busted via "kj4kym" lol and its what i had. However when i changed the oil it drained a good 5 quarts, i replaced it with royal purple 10w30.

Also i have a 6puck clutch feeling now to at times. like..no grab.. then o shit hang on! Maybe i shouldnt buy project bikes so far downhill...

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 337189)
He either killed himself on it or it is running fine I guess. Still curious what type of 10w30 oil he has in it because I suspect it's regular car oil.

If he had a misfire bad enough to make him "believe his CCT failed" what happened there? Of course he may have straightened out that misfire thing with cleaning the carbs but "riding around the yard for 10 minutes" is hardly a true test of the function of the jets in the carb.

He should look at his exhaust for leaks since that may be the source of his "weird chain noise".

Want to bet his R/R croaks soon?

supervee 07-08-2012 03:55 PM

And yeah my microwave fried my toaster. You stalkin me? o_O

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 337174)

You would have to take things one at a time.

When you drained the oil (assuming you did) did any come out? How much?

Is it running fine now?

RWhisen 07-08-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by supervee (Post 337299)
........And yep 10w30 rotell cause the case busted via "kj4kym" lol and its what i had. However when i changed the oil it drained a good 5 quarts, i replaced it with royal purple 10w30.

Also i have a 6puck clutch feeling now to at times. like..no grab.. then o shit hang on! Maybe i shouldnt buy project bikes so far downhill...

You have no clutch because you have the wrong oil in your bike.